Financial Concerns & Restraints.

With NS lge season now being completed before the end of March, what revenue will they be able to bring before next season?

I have been reading about the concerns of some of the ex-SPFL clubs now in LL about the reduction of home games from 18 to 15 and the lost matchday revenue that comes with the fewer home games. There have been comments about that being one of the reasons for keeping the 2 b teams in the league.

This got me thinking about our own league and the 11 home games each club has to generate matchday revenue during the season. I would imagine that having this number of home games is putting some restraints on the commercial abilities of our clubs. Without expecting or asking Star to divulge their finances, would be interesting none the less, to hear from Star re: the effects of the 4 lesser home games.

I am aware there are lots of other factors involved in financing and running a club commercially. But  would be interested if any of our clubs feel the 'shortness' of our league season is impacting in their daily running and even ability to advance their clubs.

Again I am aware that there is not a easy answer to expanding league numbers, other than a potential 'amalgamation' with the WOS. But, that is an entirely separate discussion. 

23 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

With NS lge season now being completed before the end of March, what revenue will they be able to bring before next season?

I have been reading about the concerns of some of the ex-SPFL clubs now in LL about the reduction of home games from 18 to 15 and the lost matchday revenue that comes with the fewer home games. There have been comments about that being one of the reasons for keeping the 2 b teams in the league.

This got me thinking about our own league and the 11 home games each club has to generate matchday revenue during the season. I would imagine that having this number of home games is putting some restraints on the commercial abilities of our clubs. Without expecting or asking Star to divulge their finances, would be interesting none the less, to hear from Star re: the effects of the 4 lesser home games.

I am aware there are lots of other factors involved in financing and running a club commercially. But  would be interested if any of our clubs feel the 'shortness' of our league season is impacting in their daily running and even ability to advance their clubs.

Again I am aware that there is not a easy answer to expanding league numbers, other than a potential 'amalgamation' with the WOS. But, that is an entirely separate discussion. 

Re The Star, i don't represent the Star or have anything to do with them, 4 less league games is probably cheaper in the SOS than the LL. Lowland League requires Assistant Referees where as the SOS only does on the odd occasion.. Big financial saving.  Also 4 less away games>

2 hours ago, Sermani said:

Re The Star, i don't represent the Star or have anything to do with them, 4 less league games is probably cheaper in the SOS than the LL. Lowland League requires Assistant Referees where as the SOS only does on the odd occasion.. Big financial saving.  Also 4 less away games>

I did think that the travelling or lack of would be a benefit to Star this season. I wonder if matchday revenue has even increased, with the higher win rate this season in the league and success to date in the cups.

Never attended Islecroft in LL days, so can't compare. Attendance's at the few games I've been at this season have been impressive. Wish same could be said at St.Mary's, doesn't feel there is the same level of connection between the club and the town as I've found visiting other clubs about the Stewartry.

Would be interesting to get feedback from any NS fans as apart from multiple trips to New Abbey coming up their season is all but over and we still have a week left in March.

It's a long few months before pre's commence in early July.

My main point is: are the clubs able to generate enough income to keep a team on the park and maintain/improve facilities. 

Tbf the clubs are doing a great job as virtually all in SOS do provide a good matchday experience for fans.

3 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

Thoughts @AML67

We’ve literally only had 2 home League games this year ( and 4 in total ) which is frankly incredible and far from ideal ! Star have I believe ten games left which could rise to SEVENTEEN if they make all the Cup Finals remaining and win the League thus qualifying for the Pyramid play off games so from a fixture point of view you have to ask why ? I have literally for years now tried to get the League to ensure those with grass parks have more home games earlier in the season to avoid scenarios like this but to no avail , it just seems to fall on deaf ears. 

Financially for us it’s far from ideal but such is life and we’ve a handful of hard working Committee members that ensure the Club stays on an even keel working tremendously hard to bring in invaluable sponsorship opportunities. If Clubs live within their means you can continue to thrive but the financial model has to be sustainable but this is up to individual member clubs to ensure this is possible within their own constraints. We have a fairly young , local team in general and that in itself generates great home crowds but that isn’t necessarily replicated across the South although it’s up to individual teams to factor in success v sustainability !

With Gretna now bottom of the LL their potential return to the League would be a welcome addition in terms of numbers and they’d also boost the overall standard and competitiveness in the South but clearly that will depend on how their season pans out for them. I can’t see any other teams on the horizon so we’ll just have to soldier on until any future change is potentially forced upon us somewhere down the road.

To finish the season on top of the table albeit with others hunting us down is fantastic considering only 5 years ago we literally only had 6 players at the Club is testament to the hard work and dedication a few folk and all the players during that time have put in.

54 minutes ago, AML67 said:

We’ve literally only had 2 home League games this year ( and 4 in total ) which is frankly incredible and far from ideal ! Star have I believe ten games left which could rise to SEVENTEEN if they make all the Cup Finals remaining and win the League thus qualifying for the Pyramid play off games so from a fixture point of view you have to ask why ? I have literally for years now tried to get the League to ensure those with grass parks have more home games earlier in the season to avoid scenarios like this but to no avail , it just seems to fall on deaf ears. 

Financially for us it’s far from ideal but such is life and we’ve a handful of hard working Committee members that ensure the Club stays on an even keel working tremendously hard to bring in invaluable sponsorship opportunities. If Clubs live within their means you can continue to thrive but the financial model has to be sustainable but this is up to individual member clubs to ensure this is possible within their own constraints. We have a fairly young , local team in general and that in itself generates great home crowds but that isn’t necessarily replicated across the South although it’s up to individual teams to factor in success v sustainability !

With Gretna now bottom of the LL their potential return to the League would be a welcome addition in terms of numbers and they’d also boost the overall standard and competitiveness in the South but clearly that will depend on how their season pans out for them. I can’t see any other teams on the horizon so we’ll just have to soldier on until any future change is potentially forced upon us somewhere down the road.

To finish the season on top of the table albeit with others hunting us down is fantastic considering only 5 years ago we literally only had 6 players at the Club is testament to the hard work and dedication a few folk and all the players during that time have put in.

Thank you for replying honestly; I'm fully aware you were under no obligation to do so.

Been really impressed with my visits to Blairmount, albeit all were before October, and definitely witnessed an engagement with the locals.

Personally I feel the League could manage the season better to avoid scenarios like this where some teams are finished their games and some still have half a dozen to play. 

The season runs from July/Aug to April. That is approaching 40 available Sat's to fit in 22 league games and all the various cups, which let's be honest some are no more than fillers to pad out the season.

As we are all acutely aware winters are becoming wetter, and without looking it up Dec through to Feb was 'damp' at best. One scenario is schedule the cups for the winter to allow the league games priority during the less wet months. There are enough programs available to schedule this. I feel that when there are cup weekend's don't squeeze in the odd league game. I know Scottish and Challenge Cups are outwith SOS control but again can be scheduled to avoid 'clashing' with league Saturdays.

I know Star are odds on to win the league now, but it can also be exciting for other clubs pushing hard to finish as high up as they can.

With this very staggered finish we will see, some teams will be totally disengaged from the league end which for me detracts from the enjoyment of a league season.

I feel it will take a bit of planning and out of the box thinking to keep all teams engaged with the league. There are a lot of other attractions for the league to compete against for public attention, so the SOS do need to be innovative.

As purely a fan of football I do enjoy opening and closing day weekends. 

Would be interesting to see what Gretna would bring to the league if they do indeed drop down.

I have no agenda against the SOS and no team to support. My only agenda is a wish for football to thrive in D&G, whether that's in the SOS or some expanded WOS, I have no preference personally.

Anyways enjoyed travelling around the region as much as I could and loved the honesty of the players in  each of the teams.

#south/football.

16 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Thank you for replying honestly; I'm fully aware you were under no obligation to do so.

Been really impressed with my visits to Blairmount, albeit all were before October, and definitely witnessed an engagement with the locals.

Personally I feel the League could manage the season better to avoid scenarios like this where some teams are finished their games and some still have half a dozen to play. 

The season runs from July/Aug to April. That is approaching 40 available Sat's to fit in 22 league games and all the various cups, which let's be honest some are no more than fillers to pad out the season.

As we are all acutely aware winters are becoming wetter, and without looking it up Dec through to Feb was 'damp' at best. One scenario is schedule the cups for the winter to allow the league games priority during the less wet months. There are enough programs available to schedule this. I feel that when there are cup weekend's don't squeeze in the odd league game. I know Scottish and Challenge Cups are outwith SOS control but again can be scheduled to avoid 'clashing' with league Saturdays.

I know Star are odds on to win the league now, but it can also be exciting for other clubs pushing hard to finish as high up as they can.

With this very staggered finish we will see, some teams will be totally disengaged from the league end which for me detracts from the enjoyment of a league season.

I feel it will take a bit of planning and out of the box thinking to keep all teams engaged with the league. There are a lot of other attractions for the league to compete against for public attention, so the SOS do need to be innovative.

As purely a fan of football I do enjoy opening and closing day weekends. 

Would be interesting to see what Gretna would bring to the league if they do indeed drop down.

I have no agenda against the SOS and no team to support. My only agenda is a wish for football to thrive in D&G, whether that's in the SOS or some expanded WOS, I have no preference personally.

Anyways enjoyed travelling around the region as much as I could and loved the honesty of the players in  each of the teams.

#south/football.

We have said the early finish takes away any potential for some teams to have that ‘last weekend of the season’ scenario where you might get to celebrate huge wins and possibly vital league deciding games. Imagine the scenario if others dropped multiple points unexpectedly and the team winning the title has finished 4 or 5 weeks ago , a bit of an anti climax however fantastic it would be for said team although I’m aware this won’t be the case it’s not impossible in the future. 

I would always prioritise the League games and let common sense prevail in fixture scheduling but clearly I might be in the minority with this train of thought. 

Somewhere down the road many locals feel that it’s inevitable that the league will end up being incorporated into and expanded West and realistically would that be such a bad thing ? New challenges and opposition with the potential for promotion / relegation etc.

With regards to opening / closing weekends I’d totally agree and personally I’d always have Cup Finals on a Saturday afternoons to allow maximum attendance fans wise and the chance for the winners to celebrate with them ! Without the fans the Club will disappear rapidly 

I think the stalemate is that you have 4/5 clubs at the top end of the league who probably harbour ambitions above the SOS (Newton Stewart, Dalbeattie Star, Creetown, Gretna when the time comes) and the others who are happy playing at a local level realising their limitations and knowing the added travel and increase in quality would not be to their benefit on or off the field - its hard enough as is in the South for these teams against the handful of clubs who have an infrastructure beyond that of a basic amateur team.  Would the league move en masse? I doubt it, I think you're looking at few top end teams moving over eventually and the rest plodding on in a solely amateur style setup as opposed to a full scale absorbtion.  I know the West were considering the option of the bottom placed side in Div 4 being relegated and replaced by a "best" amateur team however that would work and perhaps they could even further regionalise the bottom tier of the West with D&G clubs in with teams from South Lan/Ayrshire for example. Obviously there is an informal closed shop of sorts in the West just now, but as teams eventually get promoted out I suspect the West will be more willing to cast their net for replacements. Theres also a wad of clubs in that setup as well who without financial backing clearly aren't sustainable and could go bust at anytime. 

Edited by Benidorm

4 hours ago, AML67 said:

We have said the early finish takes away any potential for some teams to have that ‘last weekend of the season’ scenario where you might get to celebrate huge wins and possibly vital league deciding games. Imagine the scenario if others dropped multiple points unexpectedly and the team winning the title has finished 4 or 5 weeks ago , a bit of an anti climax however fantastic it would be for said team although I’m aware this won’t be the case it’s not impossible in the future. 

I would always prioritise the League games and let common sense prevail in fixture scheduling but clearly I might be in the minority with this train of thought. 

Somewhere down the road many locals feel that it’s inevitable that the league will end up being incorporated into and expanded West and realistically would that be such a bad thing ? New challenges and opposition with the potential for promotion / relegation etc.

With regards to opening / closing weekends I’d totally agree and personally I’d always have Cup Finals on a Saturday afternoons to allow maximum attendance fans wise and the chance for the winners to celebrate with them ! Without the fans the Club will disappear rapidly 

Agree completely re the league being prioritised. Last season wasn't too bad with only a couple clubs finishing earlier if I recall correctly and of course the finish was exciting. There is quite a disparity between clubs on 20 plus games and a few in mid teens, which for me detracts from the league.

Being brought up in the Central Belt have always been involved with leagues having both promotion and relegation. So from my perspective the SOS not having this with just the one league is somewhat disappointing as both keep the excitement going. There are a number of clubs who know they ain't going to challenge for the title and appear content to merely plod along just existing knowing there is no threat of relegation.

I have been to as many Threave games as Saints, NS, Star and Creetown, and although they have not been in any relegation places the threat is still there and despite their best efforts recently ate still in the promotion shootout.

As for the future of the SOS I have no feelings for the League itself but want to see the clubs thrive and if this means an amalgamation with the WOS at some point I am all for it, so long our clubs don't get shafted because they are deemed inferior.

#south/football

6 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

I think the stalemate is that you have 4/5 clubs at the top end of the league who probably harbour ambitions above the SOS (Newton Stewart, Dalbeattie Star, Creetown, Gretna when the time comes) and the others who are happy playing at a local level realising their limitations and knowing the added travel and increase in quality would not be to their benefit on or off the field - its hard enough as is in the South for these teams against the handful of clubs who have an infrastructure beyond that of a basic amateur team.  Would the league move en masse? I doubt it, I think you're looking at few top end teams moving over eventually and the rest plodding on in a solely amateur style setup as opposed to a full scale absorbtion.  I know the West were considering the option of the bottom placed side in Div 4 being relegated and replaced by a "best" amateur team however that would work and perhaps hey could even further regionalise the bottom tier of the West with D&G clubs in with teams from South Lan/Ayrshire for example. Obviously there is an informal closed shop of sorts in the West just now, but as teams eventually get promoted out I suspect the West will be more willing to cast their net for replacements. Theres also a wad of clubs in that setup as well who without financial backing clearly aren't sustainable and could go bust at anytime. 

Some excellent discussion points.

I feel the future for football in the West is regionalisation across the whole area. 

Just for a few examples;

Nithsdale are closer to a whole raft of clubs in Ayrshire than down here in Stewartry/ Wigtonshire. Both Annandales aren't that far from South Lanarkshire, there are also examples like Kilsyth Athletic travelling down to Ardeer and the likes.

I dont know where this idea that all Divisions in the pyramid have to be region wide rather than regionalisation as you come down the Divisions. Which, surely is how a pyramid is meant to be. The big problem is the governing body in our country are only interested in a few clubs and wish this pyramid structure would just go away.

They need reminding they are supposed to govern and encouraging development across all of Scottish Football.

Why oh why is the Pyramid Working Group not still meeting regularly?

Because, now there is a pyramid in place in all regions all boxes have been ticked as far as SFA are concerned.

Scottish football at all levels is one of the best supported countries per capita in the world. There are plenty of us around that go to multiple games at different levels because we love football not a club.

Well I did before October when the rug was pulled from beneath my feet.

Theres too many moving parts and positions to protect for a full scale merger between both leagues IMO. I think it'll boil down to the individual preferences of each club as to where they see their future. Threave have shown it can be done going alone but I still detect some level of hesitancy about losing local matches if a jump were to be made by a club from South to West, so I wonder if theres a sort of a "you go first and we'll follow" approach. NS heavily considered moving at the outset of the WOSFL did they not?

Edited by Benidorm

47 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

Theres too many moving parts and positions to protect for a full scale merger between both leagues IMO. I think it'll boil down to the individual preferences of each club as to where they see their future. Threave have shown it can be done going alone but I still detect some level of hesitancy about losing local matches if a jump where to be made by a club from South to West, so I wonder if theres a sort of a "you go first and we'll follow" approach. NS heavily considered moving at the outset of the WOSFL did they not?

To the best of my knowledge both Threave and NS seriously considered moving along with Bonnyton at WOS setup, but both decided the time wasn't right both on field and off. 

Speaking and listening to people from the WOS the merger ship has long since sailed and was never really a consideration for them, I think they had no option but to accept Bonnyton coming in at Tier 6.

The fact that Threave entered at the bottom and I believe if Dalveattie or even Gretna wished to be relegated west they would have to join at bottom tier, is a very strong indicator that if any 'merger' were to take place it would not be a level playing field as far as the WOS is concerned.

I do wonder if other SOS clubs are watching how Threave progress before making a decision. How will Threave react if they miss out on promotion at season end?

What I do know is that revenue and interest has increased, especially this season playing more established clubs in the WOS. Clubs throughout the WOS consider them an asset to the league and as far as I know there have been no comments regarding travelling from any of the clubs. All feedback I have seen has been positive re the facilities at Meadow and about the club as a whole. Speaking to players; they have enjoyed playing against different opposition weekly as opposed to playing the same team 3 weekends running as can be the case in the SOS.

You are completely correct in asserting that each club in the SOS must do what is best for them and their future, no indivudual club is responsible for the future of the SOS league structure.

No matter what each club decides where to play, I will do my best to get along to the 6 clubs within 30mins of my humble dwelling as often as circumstance allows.

#south/football.

Surely the more obvious point with the league's place in the pyramid is that none of the clubs in it are strong enough to compete in the LL. Therefore it should not be in the tier 6 play-off, and instead the winners should have the option to be promoted into a WOS division - either automatically or via a play-off to tier 8 or 9? At least that way clubs still have a pathway to the LL by first going through a WOS division at their level, rather than a massive step up or drop directly to/from the LL.

Edited by Ginaro

53 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Surely the more obvious point with the league's place in the pyramid is that none of the clubs in it are strong enough to compete in the LL. Therefore it should not be in the tier 6 play-off, and instead the winners should have the option to be promoted into a WOS division - either automatically or via a play-off to tier 8 or 9? At least that way clubs still have a pathway to the LL by first going through a WOS division at their level, rather than a massive step up or drop directly to/from the LL.

Because of all the shenanigans at the birth of the pyramid the SOS is at Tier 6 and cannot just be removed without their consent, which I don't see being discussed at any SOS meeting upcoming.

Is there going to be an amicable solution forthcoming as none of the parties involved appear to be talking to one another?

My own personal view is that the present set-up is not really helping the SOS and the clubs as any match ups between the 3 Tier 6 Leagues results in open ridicule of the SOS clubs.

The constant derision aimed at the SOS is unfair on the hard working committees, volunteers, players and supporters at the clubs.

Excellent post, and absolutely spot on.

We (the club) are always looking at ways to make us and the community better, the recent launch of our ladies' team demonstrating that.  At the early stages of the WoS, we did have conversations with the LL and had a note of interest in joining the WoS. After much conversation with clubs (in both areas) we felt that we owed it to the SOSFL to remain and focus on how we can make the league better and change our approach; we've worked closely (as have other local clubs) to provide a path way for players from Galloway Thistle into senior football, and brought in a young and ambitious management team.  Had we gone to another area, that opportunity may not have been afforded to us - we want to continue doing what we are doing. 

The discussion on the number of teams, structures, and associations will never go away.  It's like the whole 42 senior clubs & 4 division model - it too could change.  

Any 'merger' and we've been honest on this can not be at the detriment of any current T6 club.  If they chose to go in at a lower tier and that option was offered then that's their own choosing.  

People say the longer it goes on, the less chance it will happen.  Who'd have thought 5 years ago we'd have a WOSFL and no Junior setup.

16 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Because of all the shenanigans at the birth of the pyramid the SOS is at Tier 6 and cannot just be removed without their consent, which I don't see being discussed at any SOS meeting upcoming.

Is there going to be an amicable solution forthcoming as none of the parties involved appear to be talking to one another?

My own personal view is that the present set-up is not really helping the SOS and the clubs as any match ups between the 3 Tier 6 Leagues results in open ridicule of the SOS clubs.

The constant derision aimed at the SOS is unfair on the hard working committees, volunteers, players and supporters at the clubs.

Edited by Hossy87

We can, quite rightly, discuss the East. West and South leagues till the cows come home but having been involved and followed area football for over 50 years the facts, for various reasons,  have changed dramatically and will no doubt continue to do so. the South never had Junior football but at one time there was Stranraer and District Sunday League, Stewartry Amateur League and Dumfries Sunday League all running at the same time as the South of Scotland League. Indeed some players played Sat and Sun when the seasons overlapped. They must have been hardier then!

I don't think the population of football-playing men was any bigger there were just fewer distractions available then. Also, I don't think you would get retired pro footballers travelling from Ayr Kilmarnock and even Glasgow to play in the South League for £2 and some new-laid eggs! Reminiscing aside the South of Scotland League in its present form is still fulfilling the function of keeping football alive in this sometimes forgotten area.

Keep the ideas coming but remember the grass is not always greener.      

Posted (edited)

Initially wasn't quite sure where to post this, but here is as good as an anywhere in our sub-forum.

Not intending this as a rant more to highlight where 'improvements' could be made.

The scheduling of cup-finals appears to be quite a haphazard affair, I see the Alba Cup is scheduled for Sat 13th April and will be 'competing' against 2 league games along with a Haig Gordon semi. This detracts from the importance of the final, semi and league games.

Any final should be an occasion as with the Alba Final last year at St.Mary's on a Friday night under the lights. The old ground was full to the brim with a crowd I believe in excess of 350.

Even though I was unable to attend, I had pencilled in both League Cup semis on successive nights in early March. 

There are enough examples from the fixture scheduler, a few of which I have mentioned, that show it is possible to make these games a stand out by not scheduling them along with other games. 

I feel with having just a handful of clubs in our system it can actually lend itself to making semis and finals accessible to all fans in the area and maybe encourage new ones to come along.

Surely its worth discussing this at a league meeting before next season.

Another thing Star could have the league wrapped up before their visit to Castle Cary at month end. Come on surely that potential league decider would have been a great advert for the league.

Missed opportunities in my view.

Edited by An Absolute Imposter

19 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Initially wasn't quite sure where to post this, but here is as good as an anywhere in our sub-forum.

Not intending this as a rant more to highlight where 'improvements' could be made.

The scheduling of cup-finals appears to be quite a haphazard affair, I see the Alba Cup is scheduled for Sat 13th April and will be 'competing' against 2 league games along with a Haig Gordon semi. This detracts from the importance of the final, semi and league games.

Any final should be an occasion as with the Alba Final last year at St.Mary's on a Friday night under the lights. The old ground was full to the brim with a crowd I believe in excess of 350.

Even though I was unable to attend, I had pencilled in both League Cup semis on successive nights in early March. 

There are enough examples from the fixture scheduler, a few of which I have mentioned, that show it is possible to make these games a stand out by not scheduling them along with other games. 

I feel with having just a handful of clubs in our system it can actually lend itself to making semis and finals accessible to all fans in the area and maybe encourage new ones to come along.

Surely its worth discussing this at a league meeting before next season.

Another thing Star could have the league wrapped up before their visit to Castle Cary at month end. Come on surely that potential league decider would have been a great advert for the league.

Missed opportunities in my view.

Creetown v Star, the fixtures were made up and released at the start of the season, Star's last league game was actually against Mid Annandale which was brought forward, so they have tried. 

Wasn't at the Lochar/Star final, roughly 800 there on a Friday night speaks volumes. The public have spoken!

Quick couple of questions from me, out of interest any excess gate money from these finals where does it go? Assume host club, officials and other incurred expenses are paid. I'm not suggesting any impropriety only curious.

When did Creetown change the pitch name from Cassencarie to Castle Cary?  I have been watching the Lowland League for the last 10 years so its been years since i played or watched a game there.

3 hours ago, Sermani said:

Creetown v Star, the fixtures were made up and released at the start of the season, Star's last league game was actually against Mid Annandale which was brought forward, so they have tried. 

Wasn't at the Lochar/Star final, roughly 800 there on a Friday night speaks volumes. The public have spoken!

Quick couple of questions from me, out of interest any excess gate money from these finals where does it go? Assume host club, officials and other incurred expenses are paid. I'm not suggesting any impropriety only curious.

When did Creetown change the pitch name from Cassencarie to Castle Cary?  I have been watching the Lowland League for the last 10 years so its been years since i played or watched a game there.

I don't intend to come across constantly criticising the SOSL 'blazers', they are working with the products at their disposal and of course there are limits to what they can do. 

I do feel that there is a desire amongst SOS fans to support these special occasions; as is highlighted by the attendances at these games. I was at both Development League Cup matches between Lochar and Threave which were both extremely well attended at the Campus and Meadow Park; in excess of 250 at both, which again shows there is a market down here for the games.

Having come from the Central Belt I do feel the marketing from the SOS could be improved upon compared with what I witnessed up home. Not suggesting how, I am but a lowly engineer so not my area of expertise.

When I was attending regularly before my 'sabbatical' in October, I did sense an increased interest with Star coming home so to speak, wonder if it would actually be beneficial for the SOS if Gretna joined the party. 

Hopefully whomever Star entertain at Islecroft in the play-off it is marketed by all. At the very least would like to see all our clubs social media advertising the game. (same applies if Creetown come out on top of course).

Came down in 2018 and pretty sure it was Castle Cary then, does the land not belong or did belong to the owners of the adjacent holiday park, hence the name.

15 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

I don't intend to come across constantly criticising the SOSL 'blazers', they are working with the products at their disposal and of course there are limits to what they can do. 

I do feel that there is a desire amongst SOS fans to support these special occasions; as is highlighted by the attendances at these games. I was at both Development League Cup matches between Lochar and Threave which were both extremely well attended at the Campus and Meadow Park; in excess of 250 at both, which again shows there is a market down here for the games.

Having come from the Central Belt I do feel the marketing from the SOS could be improved upon compared with what I witnessed up home. Not suggesting how, I am but a lowly engineer so not my area of expertise.

When I was attending regularly before my 'sabbatical' in October, I did sense an increased interest with Star coming home so to speak, wonder if it would actually be beneficial for the SOS if Gretna joined the party. 

Hopefully whomever Star entertain at Islecroft in the play-off it is marketed by all. At the very least would like to see all our clubs social media advertising the game. (same applies if Creetown come out on top of course).

Came down in 2018 and pretty sure it was Castle Cary then, does the land not belong or did belong to the owners of the adjacent holiday park, hence the name.

If Gretna finish bottom is SOS League automatic, or have they another option to consider?