Ayr Utd v the "diddy" cup winners - Fri 29th March

Insomnia strikes so thought I'd make a match thread for this game. A Fri night box office affair between us who've stunk Somerset up more or less for about 18 months now and the winners of the illustrious cup that's had more names than we've had home win this season (perhaps)

Sticking my neck on the line here and saying 2-1. We seem to be on a run of games where we W then L then W then L......

This has draw written all over it despite our good form. The number of injuries we have is going to catch up to us at some point and I suspect this may be it, but as always in this bonkers league predictions  are useless and it could go any way.

The only certainty is that this thread will derail within a couple of pages with the very usual suspects and their rinse and repeat "Airdrie are h uns without the busfare/nazis/kkk/trump flag wavers" patter that we've already heard multiple times this season.

I'd like to win the diddy cup....

Depending on McAllisters injury, could be without McAllister, Reading and Musonda.  Add in the McGinley mystery then it will probably  be a back 3 of Stanger, Sanders, McGinty...

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

The only certainty is that this thread will derail within a couple of pages with the very usual suspects and their rinse and repeat "Airdrie are h uns without the busfare/nazis/kkk/trump flag wavers" patter that we've already heard multiple times this season.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Home win. Ayr are gubbins this season but even Bullen had little difficulty with this National Front tribute.

And a whole 2 posts later the prosecution rests.

20 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I'd like to win the diddy cup....

Depending on McAllisters injury, could be without McAllister, Reading and Musonda.  Add in the McGinley mystery then it will probably  be a back 3 of Stanger, Sanders, McGinty...

I struggle to see us beating anyone if we need to line up with a back five including Tomlinson, Murphy and Sanders. Particularly if the players in front of them include McKenzie and Bryden. 

That isn’t a dig at the formation, as I don’t know what else you do either. 

I suppose there isn’t any point playing utter shite and then having Dempsey on the bench, so I would maybe just play a back four of McHugh, McGinty, Sanders and Stanger. 

Amartey, Dempsey, Syla and McKenzie in front of them and ideally Willoughby and Dowds up front. If Willoughby is still out then I guess you just push Amartey up one and have to bring Bryden in. 

I don’t think that team will play but still. 

I’d like it noted that I will not be participating in any sort of guard of honour for this mob and will instead chose to stay in the pub till after kickoff.

f**k Airdrie. 

Depending how the injuries play our we could be down to the bare bones although Megwa will be back which is good. Hard to call really, we've struggled against Ayr but on a decent run, would be happy enough with a draw. 

9 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Surely ayr will be clapping the champions into the pitch

The last several years have shown that some Ayr fans will clap literally anything, so don't stop dreaming.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

And a whole 2 posts later the prosecution rests.

Ayr have a horrendous "injury😉" problem as well. We have been very fortunate that the favoured starting 11 of Brown and the players he has brought in, bar Willoughby have managed to avoid "picking up a knock" to the point they have disappeared completely.

Ayr will start the game with the same line-up and Airdrie will run round them much the same as Queens Park did. 

Sanders to score an own goal from 40 yards, Murphy to be hooked within an hour and the bench to look like McGeady is babysitting again. 

4 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Poor choice of thread name imo- has to be the red diamond surely? 

we are super inconsistent just now and have a tonne of injuries I hope for a win but think we will be lucky to even scrape a draw

Thought I'd change it up after their win yesterday. Normal service will be resumed when someone does the next match thread about them 😉

Ayr to win, as hopeless as Ayr have appeared in the last few games against Airdrie, they've had our number and ruthlessly punished some atrocious mistakes.

I've got a funny feeling this Friday will be the same story, a disjointed performance, sloppy defending and poor mistakes.

Obviously my predictions in the championship have been horrendous so, happy to be proved wrong.  I'd take a draw in every game between now and season end tbh