P&B Fixes Scottish Football's Media Coverage

2 hours ago, Der Panzer said:

Death Knell for Scottish football.

I may or may not know someone with a Firestick - as a season ticket holder at Dens I’ve missed 2 home games this season as I couldn’t be arsed once due to a hangover and once because I felt a little bit ill so decided to watch from the warm. 

If I was a PATG customer (or an away fan) I’d miss a lot more if all on TV at 3PM.  Far rather sit in with a couple butchers pies and few tinnies than spend £150 every 2+ weeks to get to, into and home from away games with the kids. 

The big losers would be lower league teams. I know a few people who regularly go to watch teams down the pyramid (at least a couple who are ST holders) who would probably sit in the house watching telly if Rangers or Celtic were on telly on a Saturday at 3pm, or if Hearts games were always televised.

23 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

The big losers would be lower league teams. I know a few people who regularly go to watch teams down the pyramid (at least a couple who are ST holders) who would probably sit in the house watching telly if Rangers or Celtic were on telly on a Saturday at 3pm, or if Hearts games were always televised.

Yip. Not only would they sit in the house they would watch in clubs and pubs. That happens to an extent at the moment with Rangers/ Celtic TV and places showing it but it would be far worse if it was officially allowed.

The 3pm blackout issue is discussed again in today's Price of Football podcast.

McGuire on the podcast mentions that in England they already see a slight decrease in crowds atTuesday/Wednesday EFL games that clash with Champions League nights. I've read about this before, but can't remember the exact figures. It's worth remembering that Champions League viewing figures aren't all that high compared to Premier League, so it's likely the impact of showing 3pm kick-offs unrestricted would be even worse.

One thing I've heard on more than one podcast is that it's informally been suggested already that the English Premier League might just do away with Saturday 3pm kick-offs altogether in order to make every game available. This sounds mad, but they already have loads of Sunday games due to Europe as well as tv, and with the increasing use of other Saturday kick-off times, it's not as mad as it sounds. If it stopped some season ticket holders renewing, a lot of Premier League clubs would be fine with that as day-trippers are more lucrative. One to keep an eye on.

In Scottish terms, I think having the OF games available to watch at 3pm on a Saturday would be really bad news for our pyramid. Perhaps even more pronounced than it is in England. And our clubs are much more reliant on gate receipts than the top few levels of the English pyramid. A really, really bad idea. Even of the people I go to Hearts with, I can think of quite a few people who rarely go to away games and often spend those days at Bonnyrigg, Spartans, East Fife, or a few other clubs. If the Hearts games were all simple to watch (you can arge about how simple a VPN is) these folk would probably just watch Hearts. There'll be plenty of people like that.

Keep the blackout. All games to kick off at 2pm and the Saturday live game at 5pm. 

Fri night - one game from Champ - L2

Sat - One Game from Prem

Sun - I would ban Sunday football but if teams in Europe need it then stick one of them on too.

All of the above to be shown on the BBC as they become legally obliged to Barnet Forumal money spent on the English game to other nations.