P&B Fixes Scottish Football's Media Coverage

Simply swap all the English media types and pundits for the Scottish ones. Simple. We send them Thommo’, Neil McCann, Paddy Bonnar, James McFadden, Biscuits, Doddsy, Richard Gordon, Chick Young,  all the match commentators too…the fcuking lot. Send them by Amazon Prime delivery down to England, where they need to do their schtick down there, where turning everything into an Old Firm debate isn’t an option. Willie Miller has to report from Preston North End on ‘Open All Mics’, while Biscuits gets sent to Plymouth Argyle.

We get Lineker, Wrighty, Shearer, Danny Murphy, Jenas, all the radio and TV commentators. They, for all their faults, don’t give a fcuk about the Old Firm, so Martin Keown comes on Sportscene analysing the St Johnstone back four, while Shearer waxes lyrical over Lawrence Shankland.

We should try it for one season. See how it goes.

18 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

A large number of us like a good moan about Sportsound, Sportscene, Sky's coverage of matches, the fact Scotland games are behind a paywall, and myriad other issues with the coverage of Scottish football. And as it's an international window, there's very little decent to talk about.

And so, P&B, what would be the blue sky version of Scottish Football media? Would you keep Open All Mics under the proviso that they actually discuss the games they are attending? Would you get rid of the Friday Night Championship game because you are a Saturday at 3pm zealot? Should there be Tuesday Afternoon Lowland League games simulcast live on BBC Sounds and Comedy Central?

Have at it.

I would keep open all mic’s, I would move out the old guard that do it now. Surely recent retired players who fancy a spot in the media that can do a better job. Fraser Fyvie has done the red tv co commentator a few times and can across very well I knows he is still playing but Bonner, Miller etc retired years ago. Even sky has got rid the old guard on tv these days. 

Keep the Friday night game highlighted of a Friday evening when it’s on. I’d get a highlight package on somewhere to showcase the lower leagues. They share highlights on their YouTube channels. Let’s get them on a Sunday afternoon. 

Although i can not normally see them the Friday night games seem popular and its a great way to showcase the Championship. Work wise it would be a pain for some to get to but its just the same for many as a Tuesday or Wednesday game. Definitely keep. The one thing however I would change is the quota of games, every team having to have 2 home games selected means that this weekends big game is not being shown. There however should be a maximum number of times an away team can be on.

The same argument can be made with regards to the Premiership games. Remove the home maximum but limit the number of away games that a team can be shown. This would result in better games being selected but we all know 2 clubs would veto this.

Radio wise it needs a total reset.

For starters -
Move BBC football HQ out of Glasgow and its Old Firm obsessed goldfish bowl to Edinburgh.
Employ fewer weegies and bigots.
Stand up to sectarianism and promote genuine action against it.
Ditch thick ex-pros especially those that spout the ex-pro cheating rules as gospel as opposed to the actual rules.
Minimal if any promotion/coverage of English football. You can get that easily enough everywhere else so devote the little time Scottish football gets to promoting Scottish football.
Cover/promote as much of Scottish football as possible, not just the bigots and the rest of the Premiership when they bother to squeeze it in. 
Have a no commentary option on games. 

Sadly we know nothing will ever change and it'll probably just continue its rapid decline into full red top Old Firm land.

4 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Good point! It'd probably still be better than a load of the current comms though. 

See when you're at the football and go to the toilet during the game, and hear the crowd roar, but don't know who's scored (awaits Livi crowd, lack of, jokes), that's still better than listening to radio commentary, esp the open all mics pish.

BBC to pay for a proper package that is free to air for viewers, and allows them to show plenty live games, but these are not allowed to simply alternate between OF away games, requiring instead to be more broadly spread.  Alll Scotland games to also be on the BBC.

Off the Ball to be binned.   Open all Mics to be retained as a format, but with every ex-player dismissed.  Kenny McIntyre also to be dismissed, then tortured a bit.

While the Friday games are fairly decent if you aren't involved the final game of the season in the Championship being a Friday night needs scrapped.  Saturday night would be a good compromise.  

Execute Michael Stewart and Leanne Crichton live on BBC Scotland during an international break.  Their minds have melted since VAR arrived and they still go on and on and on about it during games where it isn't used.  Crichton said during Musselburgh v Clyde that the players must have found it refreshing that VAR wasn't in operation :lol:.  Stewart is just a totally broken man with it, proper VAR divorced him energy 24/7.  

Youth hosteling with Jonathan Sutherland.  

Get Pat Bonnar to cover the big game in League Two every week on the radio to see if he can learn one player name by the end of the season.  

Some animal like Paul the octopus predicting the big games of the weekend.  

Allow live matches to be shown at 3pm on a Saturday. It’s weird they can be shown any other day and time even when other matches are being played but not 3pm Saturday. Not everyone can make it to watch their team in person.

Being back Richard Gordon.

give AVFTT the Off the Ball slot on Radio Scotland

Friday night games to stay.  They have given me an incentive to want to visit the grounds I have seen.  I would like to see some live League 1 and 2 games shown in that slot.  I like this highlights package idea for the Championship, Leagues 1 and 2.  No need for analysis (thinking cost here) because of the availability of podcasts.

The pundit thing is a difficult one.  It is a real mixed bag.  I think some of Neil McCann's stuff on Sportscene is good and Michael Stewart and James McFadden do try to praise players during Championship games.  Derek Ferguson seems to realise what a great job he has.  Could Scottish journalism supply guests of the calibre of something like the 5Live Euro Leagues show?  Also, would fans accept "media-only" pundits?

Happy for AVFTT to keep doing its own (excellent) thing.  I don't know the age demographic of Off The Ball listeners, but I think a more traditional show should remain.  Open All Mics has loads of potential, if someone gets a grip.

17 hours ago, jasperellon said:

Allow live matches to be shown at 3pm on a Saturday.

Death Knell for Scottish football.

I may or may not know someone with a Firestick - as a season ticket holder at Dens I’ve missed 2 home games this season as I couldn’t be arsed once due to a hangover and once because I felt a little bit ill so decided to watch from the warm. 

If I was a PATG customer (or an away fan) I’d miss a lot more if all on TV at 3PM.  Far rather sit in with a couple butchers pies and few tinnies than spend £150 every 2+ weeks to get to, into and home from away games with the kids.