St. Mirren v Hearts, 6th April 2024

I'm looking forward to this one, but also nervous.

From a Saints perspective it was great to see Ryan Strain return, and his effort against Motherwell, which struck the bar, demonstrates the extra threat he gives us from free kicks around the box. 

We've lacked a cutting edge in the final third, which is concerning, and this was exemplified by the number of chances we spurned at Fir Park. However, Olusanya had a good game and has improved a lot this season; I would therefore be surprised if he doesn't start. Like many, I found it strange that Kwon didn't play and his inclusion on the bench indicates he's fit enough to get match minutes, if there was any concern about his fitness. I hope to see him in action on Saturday. 

Hearts are pretty much guaranteed third spot, short of a catastrophic run of form and their last two games has seen them lose to Ross County and draw with Killie at Tynecastle. This gives me hope, but they will be desperate to return to winning ways.  

According to Twitter there are about 700 tickets left for this match and Hearts have sold their entire allocation. My only fear is we seem to shite it in front of big crowds - Killie at home last season springs to mind.

3-0. All O’Hara penalties, all awarded for handball after VAR review. These things even themselves out over the course of….. fades to silence.

Probably a 1-1, with both teams thinking they should have won it.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Same as Killie last week. A draw would do fine.

Hopefully pick up a bit of zip with the injury returnees being more up to speed and the break behind us.

I'd probably be ok with a draw too as it would almost certainly guarantee top 6, unless we get gubbed by a few at Parkhead.

10 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

My only fear is we seem to shite it in front of big crowds - Killie at home last season springs to mind.

There have been four 7000+ home attendances this season.

Won 2 (Hearts and Aberdeen), drew 1 (should have been a win but for incompetence from Beaton, Ross and the VAR) and lost one 1-0.

26 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

There have been four 7000+ home attendances this season.

Won 2 (Hearts and Aberdeen), drew 1 (should have been a win but for incompetence from Beaton, Ross and the VAR) and lost one 1-0.

I stand corrected! The only game I remember that actually sold out was Killie last season. Also Killie away we took a bumper crowd and lost the plot in the second half.

A win would secure top six regardless of what anyone else does. It might suit us being a difficult game against a team doing well considering this time last year we just needed to avoid defeat at home to a team that hadn't won away all season and promptly shat the bed because Saints gonna Saints.

Edited by Stu

2 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

If we win St Mirren will not make the top 6 so this will be like a final. We need games like this so we are ready for our Scottish cup game.

If you win, we'll still probably make top 6, unless Hibs win both their games or Dundee take at least 5 points from their next 3.

8 hours ago, Hendo said:

If you win, we'll still probably make top 6, unless Hibs win both their games or Dundee take at least 5 points from their next 3.

Not exactly unrealistic Hibs can get 6 though.

Tough game for us this, but we could so with a win. We were OK in spells at thr weekend and will have a further week of training with everyone back so should be beneficial.

I'll go for a narrow 2-1 for Hearts.

8 hours ago, Hendo said:

This is an 'and' scenario, rather than 'or' 

Hibs need to win both games and Dundee taking 5 points with us losing both in order to miss out.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

This is an 'and' scenario, rather than 'or' 

Hibs need to win both games and Dundee taking 5 points with us losing both in order to miss out.

Problem is we have Hearts and Celtic. Realistically we could lose both. Full house at home we have watched this movie before. 

Fingers crossed we get over the line on Saturday. Any win will do unless its Hearts

6 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Problem is we have Hearts and Celtic. Realistically we could lose both. Full house at home we have watched this movie before. 

Fingers crossed we get over the line on Saturday. Any win will do unless its Hearts

I've already debunked this theory.

Biggest home attendance this season...7537

Result...Saints 1 Hearts 0.

May or may not happen again on Saturday. 

3 minutes ago, Aylo vanal said:

Hearts have been going through the motions a bit, starting to get a few players back though.

I predict a narrow loss here.

The Ross County and Killie games had a real end of term feel about them for me, both in the stands and on the pitch.

That's quite a risky thing at this stage. It's almost impossible to blow third from here, and assuming we beat Livi at home we'll be going into the split at worst 8 points clear, which really should be fine. But a defeat on Saturday and a failure to beat Livi, and a wee bit of panic could set in if other results have seen the gap close to 5 or 6.

Need to snap out of it. Hoping to see a bit of a step up this week.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

The Ross County and Killie games had a real end of term feel about them for me, both in the stands and on the pitch.

That's quite a risky thing at this stage. It's almost impossible to blow third from here, and assuming we beat Livi at home we'll be going into the split at worst 8 points clear, which really should be fine. But a defeat on Saturday and a failure to beat Livi, and a wee bit of panic could set in if other results have seen the gap close to 5 or 6.

Need to snap out of it. Hoping to see a bit of a step up this week.

Imagine getting red dotted for that 😂