Dundee v Motherwell - 6th April

So now we have moved on from weather reports and pitch surface conditions to killie fans coming into other games match thread greetin about encroachment at a penalty kick.

Fuckin hell 

I am happy to entertain anyone’s thoughts on the penalty award because who knows what will be given on a week to week basis but the suggestion that there was encroachment (by Gent) is pish.

11 hours ago, dezz said:

the Dundee we all know and love haven’t quite deserted us yet. 

It’s like putting on an old jumper. 

2 hours ago, ropy said:

I am happy to entertain anyone’s thoughts on the penalty award because who knows what will be given on a week to week basis but the suggestion that there was encroachment (by Gent) is pish.

Could get some stills posted of a player's elbow being in the opposition half at kick off, which then led to a goal being scored 25 minutes later.

Encroachment? Was that the reason for the confusion after the goal? I just assumed the keeper was wasting time.

From the still shared by the person claiming it was encroachment, there's daylight between Gent's feet and the line. Also, Dundee were encroaching (not that it helped them much), so it would have been a retake anyway. 

The penalty is a stonewaller going by the dumb rules that have been in place since var came in. No one likes the current rule, but it's what it is for now. We've been done by it multiple times this season, so I'm not going to complain when we get one. 

Ideally we would scrap var, but it's here to stay, and nothing about scottish refs suggest they'll get better at implementing it. Instead, I expect them to expand what var can check, then all pat each other on the back for making the game more about them.

Absolutely frustrating that was - we just never learn.

Losing the penalty goal was the turning point - we just completely switched off or rather panicked at that point and there was zero leadership on the field to calm things down.  Yes, the players should take some blame but Docherty should have taken the sting out of the game by shoring up midfield - he should have done this before the penalty but once it was scored (and he had time with the double VAR check) the change should have been made.

11 hours ago, Ginaro said:

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/glossary/football-terms/

Restart position

A player’s position at a restart is determined by the position of their feet or any part of their body which is touching the ground, except as outlined in Law 11 – Offside

Ignoring the various Premier League articles since these aren't actually the laws of the game, but thanks for sharing this. It's an odd place to have that tucked away, but good to know.

I'm sure the "guidance" is it's encroachment if any part of a players foot is within the box, which includes their foot touching the line, and they then affect play in the aftermath of the save.

So if Gent was touching the line of the box when the kick was taken then it shouldve been ruled as encroachment, according to joyless bores who love VAR as it brings everything down to millimeters. 

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm sure the "guidance" is it's encroachment if any part of a players foot is within the box, which includes their foot touching the line, and they then affect play in the aftermath of the save.

So if Gent was touching the line of the box when the kick was taken then it shouldve been ruled as encroachment, according to joyless bores who love VAR as it brings everything down to millimeters. 

If Gent is touching the line when the penalty was taken, then fair do's to him, his agility is second to none in world football as in the screenshot provided to prove "encroachment" he's pretty far away from the line with his foot when the ball is on it's way towards goal.  

Be more intetested in the player nearest.  But there are about 4 Dundee players encroaching.  Worst case for Motherwell it's a re-take.

22 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Be more intetested in the player nearest.  But there are about 4 Dundee players encroaching.  Worst case for Motherwell it's a re-take.

Only if the encroaching Dundee players had had an effect on play. Which given the proximity of Portales (I think it’s him) to the goal-scorer, would have been likely. 

But I guess we’ll never know. 

At Motherwell’s first and second goals our players made attempts to grab the ball to take it back to the middle.  I wish they wouldn’t, celebrate your goal and then get back and line up for the restart.  Grabbing the ball will not speed anything up and is more likely to generate a yellow card after a bit of fisticuffs.

It’s something small but it annoys me.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

At Motherwell’s first and second goals our players made attempts to grab the ball to take it back to the middle.  I wish they wouldn’t, celebrate your goal and then get back and line up for the restart.  Grabbing the ball will not speed anything up and is more likely to generate a yellow card after a bit of fisticuffs.

Big KVV loved all this “ back of the net” handbags stuff. Bring him home .

20 hours ago, ropy said:

More importantly - did you bypass Greggs?