Rovers v Airdrie - Tuesday 09/04

Really poor 45 mins killed us there. First half was a shocker, right to make changes at half time. Ironically we started putting balls into the box that Hamilton would thrive on. 

Airdrie play some good stuff at times, decent to watch and 3 good finishes. 

51 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Did you not bottle it in the playoffs under Murray when in decent positions whilst McCabe got the job done. His recruitment seems decent but as you say tactics etc seem to be his Achilles heel.

To an extent yeah, 20/21 was just a ridiculously tired team with loads of injuries. 21/22 was a season we really should have went up but Murray completely ran out of ideas in the final. His last Airdrie team were flat-track bullies really, hammered everyone below them but couldn’t get over the line in the big games. 

It’s interesting that Murray has actually managed to do that against Dundee United twice this season (albeit against a very limited manager) but has really struggled against managers who are better tactically.

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Can't blame Murray for going fir it second half it was must win. 

The blame for us false at the feet of a God awful first half performance by the players on the park. 

There is going for it, and then there is chucking the kitchen sink at it, and sometimes he's guilty of ripping put the kitchen fixtures too early.

Edited by renton

Deplorable first half - sh1tebag performance and setup.

Now that it’s playoffs can we please play midfielder Scott Brown in….midfield.

Turner looked good in the second half and how things might have been different if Connollys shot was 1 cm to the left.

12 minutes ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

I'm pretty sure James Brown doesn't read Pie & Bovril, which may I remind you is a forum for people to give opinion on scottish football.

I think you'll see from my previous posts I'm neither overly frustrated nor upset. My opinion stands that James Brown plays like he doesn't want the ball to come near him. If that makes me a fair weather fan in the eyes of some pellet I've never met that's seems to have his own opinion on a vast number of subjects then cool.

Not worried if JBrown reads P&B or not. Your opinion is fine, your statement that he's scared of the ball is demonstrably incorrect. Your view on me is noted, and you're entitled to your opinion.

19 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

James Brown is at best, very average, and that’s on a very good day. He even approaches the ball in an odd manner. I couldn’t believe what I was reading when folk suggested he was a  7/10 every week the other day 

An average defender is much more than we got from Millen. He was an attacker who was often late to defend and who didn't stop crosses. A such, JBrown is a defensive improvement (in my opinion).

Just now, Mr.Blue said:

Watched some of that on the stream. Airdrie looked like deserved winners. Great finish for the 3rd.

Airdrie absolutely deserved getting 10 of 12 points in the league from us this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to pass Partick.

I’d like to hear the thought process from the person that thought signing Zak Rudden while on a title chase was good business? 

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Not worried if JBrown reads P&B or not. Your opinion is fine, your statement that he's scared of the ball is demonstrably incorrect. Your view on me is noted, and you're entitled to your opinion.

An average defender is much more than we got from Millen. He was an attacker who was often late to defend and who didn't stop crosses. A such, JBrown is a defensive improvement (in my opinion).

Based on what I’ve seen from McGill, and what I’ve seen so far from James Brown, I’d be starting the former at right back 

Kyle Turner changed the game when he came on (love to have him back at Airdrie), bewildering to me how Matthews & Byrne start before him. A job well done for the Diamonds and ultimately deserved, but if Connolly's shot had went in then it could have been different. Fine limits indeed!

8 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Really poor 45 mins killed us there. First half was a shocker, right to make changes at half time. Ironically we started putting balls into the box that Hamilton would thrive on. 

Airdrie play some good stuff at times, decent to watch and 3 good finishes. 

“at times” CRY MORE

First half defo killed it, Airdrie were far too comfortable and were given time and room the longer the half went on and that was how the goals came about.

We lumped the ball in the air too often and when we had it on the ground, they closed us down giving us no room and we had no ideas how or what to do.

The fear now is Partick copies Airdrie's tactics they will kill us to but we will need to see how the players respond.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

your statement that he's scared of the ball is demonstrably incorrect.

You've demonstrated your lack of knowledge about what is happening on a football field on various occasions my old china. I'll have my opinion and you have yours, you aren't some sort of super fan because you weirdly happy clap players.

5 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Kyle Turner changed the game when he came on (love to have him back at Airdrie), bewildering to me how Matthews & Byrne start before him. A job well done for the Diamonds and ultimately deserved, but if Connolly's shot had went in then it could have been different. Fine limits indeed!

Aye that's kinda like history repeating itself for us, Ayr spring to mind

16 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

The play-offs obviously favour the form team. I wonder if Airdrie have peaked just a wee bit too early? It'd be good to have new blood in the Premiership. 

I might be wrong but I'm sure since the turn of the year we have the best form in the league. I know that's essentially an arbitrary starting point but I'd say/hope 3 and a half months is more than a 'peak', it's not like we've just made a dip for the line at the end, we've been pretty good for a while.

That said, we aren't even assured of the play-offs yet by any means, and I think given our squad size and having to get through 3 ties, it would be highly unlikely. Quite happy to dream though...

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Based on what I’ve seen from McGill, and what I’ve seen so far from James Brown, I’d be starting the former at right back 

I came here to say this too.

McGill was more effective in his limited time than Brown had been up to that point. A short time, granted, but he's not really let us down when called on, has he?

Just now, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

You've demonstrated your lack of knowledge about what is happening on a football field on various occasions my old china. I'll have my opinion and you have yours, you aren't some sort of super fan because you weirdly happy clap players.

Never claimed to be a super fan, so not sure what that's about. I simply do not boo our own players, I don't call then shite, I do call out shortcomings when it's clearly shown. Again, you mileage may vary, old chum.