Rovers v Airdrie - Tuesday 09/04

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

The McCabe debate,  I actually think he is still one of the best midfielders in the league and also a very good sweeper,  ,  can he play 36 games absolutely not,   not for putting him out to pasture yet,  not counting chickens just yet,  if we get into the playoffs and the pressure cranks up , I would much prefer him on the park than off it...

Me neither, I'm not saying he should stop, but I wonder if he feels it's worth it to continue playing when he won't be as crucial to the team and obviously has other things to focus on.

It's clearly not been an issue him playing in the last 2 years so he may be happy to carry on as a squad player. I wouldn't be surprised if he stops though.

14 hours ago, SanStarko said:

Well that went well.  I wasn't that upset at the starting line up and thought we were doing ok, nothing spectacular but it was fairly even.  Then we decided that letting Frizzell just waltz through the pitch with nobody putting a challenge in or closing him down was fine, and he promptly scores.  Not great, but only 1-0 down, we can still get back into this, then we just go and do the exact same thing again and we're 2 down.  Doesn't really matter what tactics you're going with if you defend like that.

Second half, full Murrayball and we looked really up for it for the first 5 minutes, then it looked like Airdrie adjusted to it and nullified it for a bit.  We got it going again and had a lot of the ball, but we didn't really have a lot of shots on target.  Balls into the box which the Airdrie defence dealt with, or balls that there was nobody in a blue shirt to actually attack.  We got the goal and if Connolly's shot goes in off the post then maybe we'd have went onto win.  But playing that style you're always liable to get hit on the counter and Airdrie were constantly looking to do just that.  Airdrie had it spot on second half, wasting time where they could, being solid in defence and then trying to hit on the counter at every opportunity.  Well deserved win.

After reading through the complete bollocks on here from some of our fans, I wasn't sure I could be bothered actually giving my opinion on the game.  Thankfully, you've basically said exactly what I though about the game so no need to.

Irrespective of how fans think Raith played, the bottom line is that McCabe got his tactics spot on and once again, Murray didn't. 

It was evident that the Raith players were told not to press, but to stand off us. We knocked the ball about at the back with ease. Now that's OK if the plan is to start pressing us when we advance up the park, but that just didn't happen, leading to Frizz having all the time and space he needed to rattle in a couple of crackers. 

So yeah, I can see why you'd blame the players for not closing him down, but I genuinely think they were executing Murray's instructions. That entire first half, I cannot recall a single time you pressed as a team, whereas Airdrie did, thus why we won the ball back quickly when out of possession and  kept possession so well when on it. 

2nd half, 3 subs and a clear change of tactic to start pressing. And it did make a big difference. But by that point, we are sitting 2 goals to the good and able to implement a tactic of hitting on the counter attack, which again, we executed to perfection. 

So for me, the main difference between the two teams is not the quality of player, but the managers. And McCabe has comfortably come out on top again. 

How do Raith fans feel about Dabrowski? He was signed to reasonable acclaim at the start of the year and he has pulled off some big saves (remember one against us at Starks earlier in season), but is it fair to say he's been culpable for some big goals too?

Looks like he was so slow to move for Frizzell's first and even for McGregor's goal leaves the whole near post are for McGregor to pick his spot... albeit I didn't think Lewis had a finish like that on his left foot in him.

Got to say labelling Raith as "bottle merchants" is a joke on 2 levels.

1) Airdrie simply played better 1st half and scored 2 goals of superb quality, to say our win was due to lack of bottle is an insult to our performance and tactics.

2) 2nd half as I said previously we sat deeper and Raith capitalised, albeit temporarily, no lack of bottle there.

Finally saw Lewis' goal and it was the pick of a night of stunning goals, as the young people say "all killer and no filler".

Finally on Recce's playing future, last season we were on a poor spell, Reece was injured and Sinky took over, we hit a real purple patch, so much so when he was fit, Reece left Sinky in and himself on the bench, only coming back when Sinky went on international duty.

What I'm trying to say is, he's showed the humility to step back if he thinks he has a better option, my personal opinion is, he steps up to a higher level, he'll make only rare, emergency appearances, Murray Aitken till he was injured was his replacement IMHO.

Trying to be half full on this one. Every break has gone to Airdrie when we played them, coupled with their dominance it's been 1 way traffic. Just trying to find something to help me sleep pre play off games.

Wonder if a bit less pressure could now fire us up again for what looks like a play off stint?

Ashcroft was the key signing and it went pear shaped. Surely it's Watson and Murray till the end of the season. Full backs need an upgrade for next season. 

A couple of wider points, the exodus from the South Stand should be a worry for the board. Hope the numbers continue to show up. 

Also wonder why facebook doesn't get the  interviews when we get beat, maybe damage limitation with comments. TBH our social media is unreadable with negative supporters and opposition fans seeking retribution.

Definetly reaping what we sowed.

Finally fair play Airdrie, but can we not just go back to you lot being a despicable bunch of hammer throwers. 

Edited by Always next quarter

22 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Irrespective of how fans think Raith played, the bottom line is that McCabe got his tactics spot on and once again, Murray didn't. 

It was evident that the Raith players were told not to press, but to stand off us. We knocked the ball about at the back with ease. Now that's OK if the plan is to start pressing us when we advance up the park, but that just didn't happen, leading to Frizz having all the time and space he needed to rattle in a couple of crackers. 

So yeah, I can see why you'd blame the players for not closing him down, but I genuinely think they were executing Murray's instructions. That entire first half, I cannot recall a single time you pressed as a team, whereas Airdrie did, thus why we won the ball back quickly when out of possession and  kept possession so well when on it. 

2nd half, 3 subs and a clear change of tactic to start pressing. And it did make a big difference. But by that point, we are sitting 2 goals to the good and able to implement a tactic of hitting on the counter attack, which again, we executed to perfection. 

So for me, the main difference between the two teams is not the quality of player, but the managers. And McCabe has comfortably come out on top again. 

The fact we didn't press but there were still gaps makes me blame the players executing the plan. If and buts but we didn't start with a high press because we have done that before and you handed us our arse. We started with 2 holding midfielders in front of a flat back 4, that should tactically nullify the threat that your first 2 goals came from. 

The argument you could make, with hindsight, is why didn't we start the game how we lined up second half. I couldn't blame Murray there to be honest as he was criticised following our game at Tannadice for having a powder puff midfield.

17 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

How do Raith fans feel about Dabrowski? He was signed to reasonable acclaim at the start of the year and he has pulled off some big saves (remember one against us at Starks earlier in season), but is it fair to say he's been culpable for some big goals too?

Looks like he was so slow to move for Frizzell's first and even for McGregor's goal leaves the whole near post are for McGregor to pick his spot... albeit I didn't think Lewis had a finish like that on his left foot in him.

He's had a couple of howlers but, for me, this has been out weighed by some absolute world class saves.

He does seem to tickle a few Rovers fans into a foamy rage and I heard more than a couple of sarcastic comments when he caught a cross last night. 

I don't think he can be blamed for any of the goals conceded last night, in fact he has been error free since his flap at Arbroath a few weeks ago.

I think the fact he's a big character annoys a few folk and any minor mistake brings over the top criticism. For me he is a fine goalie and if he can work on his weaknesses and have a more commanding defence in front of him, he could be a top level keeper.

Dabrwoski would have been my MOTM for the first league game a Kirkaldy, he was outstanding that day.  He did get beat at the near post by McGregor for the third goal last night, but it was a magnificently placed shot - which McGregor has in him.  His goal in the 1-0 win away to Morton this season was also at the near post, if memory serves.

2 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

As frustrating as it was, what a belter of a game!Genuinely cant understand why Airdrie aren't right up there with us and DU at the top......

Two words, Ayr United.  Lost 12 points to them.  Had we won these matches we would had been on 60 points.

47 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Best team in 30 years? It's not even the best team in the last 10 years.

A Raith Rovers team which is going to comfortably finish 2nd in the Championship at worst isn't your best team in the last 10 years?

41 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Some people seem to get really upset and go overboard on the criticism of him.  I think he's absolutely fine, he has things he needs to work on but that's to be expected when you bring in an inexperienced and young (by keeper standards) keeper.  He was always going to come with mistakes, if he was the finished article with no weak points to his game, he wouldn't be with us.  

On the plus side, it's fairly clear what his main weak points are, kicking and dealing with cross balls.  And in both those areas he has improved since the start of the season, still a long way to go but it's clear he is working on them.  

For the third goal last night, watching it back it does seem like he's maybe misjudged where he is as he did leave a far bigger gap to his near post than I'd expect.  But given the shot I don't think it would have made any difference if had been positioned properly. 

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

A Raith Rovers team which is going to comfortably finish 2nd in the Championship at worst isn't your best team in the last 10 years?

Don't know if I wholly agree but it's not actually daft- second half of 2015/16 we were practically title contender form

Screenshot_20240410_143733_Chrome.jpg

If I'm really hunting for a positive from last night, the gung ho roll of the dice was actually a bit more sensible and effective that's it's been on previous occasions - ie, it wasn't just 'more bodies forward' but actually strategic enough to have numbers and width to let us switch from side to side properly and work it to the last third.

It was a gamble and we could have been hit more decisively on the break, but we were obviously threatening and the subs (no one else would have picked) all made an impact. It's not a shape you could start a game with.

First half was maybe the low point of the season, a terrible mess.

Stevie Wonder can see this is the best Raith team, probably since the mid 90's when they were in the old Premier Division.  

8 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

If memory serves we finished the second leg of that incredible playoff semi final against Montrose playing a robust back two.  Like I say, when it works it's thrilling.

Think that’s still the most fun I’ve had at a game. Second half started with in theory a 2-4-4 with Watson and Frizzell as a marauding wing backs and a robust central midfield of Agnew sitting deep and Easton doing whatever he wanted. When Afolabi came on it was just vibes, literally about five up front, Fordyce winning second balls in midfield, McCabe sometimes at the back on his own, Callum Smith covering the full pitch. 

19 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

If memory serves we finished the second leg of that incredible playoff semi final against Montrose playing a robust back two.  Like I say, when it works it's thrilling.

Remember seeing scores come through for that game, sounded insane.