Rovers v Airdrie - Tuesday 09/04

18 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Mate I'm shocked about McGill aswell. When he played earlier in the season, he didn't really put a foot wrong. He's also got a bit of height about him. 

Winger wise we've been crying out for an Ethan Ross type player. There's absolutely no pace in the team, which has also hindered. We chop and change most games so get no continuity either. Our big problem is Murray has no clue on our best 11. Unfortunately our midfield are incapable of controlling a game when we play 4 but when we play 5 we are much better that generally means Lewy has to be sacrificed as he can't hold up a ball. Fans get pissed because he's our best player, but unfortunately dropping him may be for the greater good against some teams, he's also a great pair of fresh legs to come on. 

The team needs overhauled, there's no denying it. How we are in the position we are in, is astounding considering we haven't played well since we beat Utd at Tannadice. I think it's just a really shitey bunch of teams this year and we have been the better of a bad bunch. 

You comment has already rightly been slagged but just to add - this part is Championship cliche bingo, and gets said every single year, usually by disappointed fans of a team doing quite well but not on top.  This isn't the knock-out stages of World Cup 94, it's an average season in the second tier of Scottish football.

Edited by VictorOnopko

20 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

The team needs overhauled, there's no denying it. How we are in the position we are in, is astounding considering we haven't played well since we beat Utd at Tannadice. I think it's just a really shitey bunch of teams this year and we have been the better of a bad bunch. 

Mate, Arbroath and Queen's Park have been on the verge of winning this division in the previous two seasons.

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

You comment has already rightly been slagged but just to add - this part is Championship cliche bingo, and gets said every single year, usually by disappointed fans of a team doing quite well but not on top.  This isn't the knock-out stages of World Cup 94, it's an average season in the second tier of Scottish football.

I'd agree. You look at what was served up by the big two at the weekend in terms of quality and realise that the Championship isn't that bad comparatively. 

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

This isn't the knock-out stages of World Cup 94, it's an average season in the second tier of Scottish football.

And to add to it, entertainment wise it has been a very good season in the second tier of Scottish Football. I mean, it hasn't been great for my heart at times, but some of the games have been brilliant entertainment. Yes, the quality could be better, but quality doesn't always equal entertainment.

And I do understand, our clubs position in the league probably does influence my view. 

Anyone in Kirkcaldy - how's the weather? It is storm-force winds down here in Northern England.

13 minutes ago, ohnononowheredidRossgo said:

Just shows how amazing this season has been that I'm excited and petrified like a wean in my 40s about the game tonight, this is what fitba is about.

Think we win this 5 nil.

Been a great season and that scorelines is certainly in the realms of possibility, as is the possibility of an Airdrie clean sweep this season.

Bonkers

I'm just excited about tonight and the last handful of games. 2nd place pretty much secured, anything more be it the title or promoted via play-offs is a total bonus. 

I won't be relaxed tonight at the game, that goes without saying, but this season is already a total success regardless of how the rest of it pans out.

You see the “the standard of the league is really poor this year” line trotted out a lot and generally it’s nonsense. 
I mean, how do you even begin to measure that. Folk will say it when one team runs away with the league and they’ll say it when it’s tight between all teams and the reality is that the quality of the league in general has no bearing on either of those outcomes. 

I think this year has been pretty good quality-wise. Most of the teams could beat each other on their day. Even Arbroath rooted to the bottom are not an awful anti-football team like we’ve seen with some teams in recent years. Given the opportunity most of the teams will try to play decent football. 

Which is a decent Segway into talking about Airdrie…..

Alan above mentioned that we’ve been poor against Airdrie in all the games so far and that is true but I think that’s on Airdrie more than it’s on us- Airdrie have not allowed us to play well, they’ve got their game plan spot-on to nullify us and play how they want to play. 
If we want to win the league we’ll need to figure how how to stamp our authority on this game and dictate rather than be dictated to. 
God knows how we do that but I’d suggest the two holding-midfielders formation from Saturday would be a good place to start. 

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

At least an Airdrie win will likely be enough to keep the Pars out of the playoffs, so it's a win-win tonight I suppose.

Should really focus on your own team not big brother along the road. Wee team mentality😉

Just read through this entire thread and it's fair to say that, aside from some grim posts, in large it's a decent read. Couple of thoughts from me. 

I don't get the whole 'squad rotation' comments with a view to Saturday's game. There's 3 points to play for tonight so that should always be the priority. Strongest team needs to start. 

Someone posted saying Raith have been poor v us, but I agree with the poster who said that, in large, that's been down to how Airdrie set up to play. Rhys has tactically trumped Murray so far this season. Think we can all agree on that. And I hope he manages it again tonight. Absolutely no doubt Murray will be over-thinking how he can change his fortunes but truth be told, they've all been tight games so I don't think there's a whole lot of tinkering needed from him. But he's proven in the past with us that he struggles to implement a plan b and think that's also a flaw we've exposed this year to date. 

A lot of Raith fans saying this is a must win game for them but I'm not so sure. Airdrie have still to play Dundee Utd at home and, given we beat them 2 nil on their own patch the last time, you can bet your ass Rhys will be looking to beat them again at home. 

Any Raith fan who doesn't think this season has been superb is off their head. Same for Airdrie. It's been an incredible season for us so far. 90%+ of opposition fans had us as fodder and expected us to be relegated, yet here we are, 5 games left, fighting for a promotion play off spot. It's utter madness. 

My dream scenario to end this season would be Raith winning the title, Airdrie pipping Partick to 3rd and us beating Dundee Utd in the play offs on route to our own promotion dream. 

A dream it may be, but given how the last year has gone, I'm willing to believe that anything is possible. ♦️🙏♦️

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

At least an Airdrie win will likely be enough to keep the Pars out of the playoffs, so it's a win-win tonight I suppose.

It really isn't.  I honestly couldn't care what happens with them.  I love beating them, and of course enjoy being above them in the league, but I would take absolutely no consolation in how a defeat for us tonight affects them.

21 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

It really isn't.  I honestly couldn't care what happens with them.  I love beating them, and of course enjoy being above them in the league, but I would take absolutely no consolation in how a defeat for us tonight affects them.

Agree- add to that the fact that if we were to face either Dunfermline or Airdrie in the play-offs I’d be far more confident facing Dunfermline. 

3 hours ago, AllanJM said:

Anyone know if the Orrock Quarry road is still flooded?  

It's open again.

I drove along it today - a wee bit messy outside the quarry itself, but pretty much okay.

19 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Has there been any kind of update on how Josh Rae is getting on? Sounded like he'd taken a really nasty one but I haven't seen anything since. 

He ended up in hospital for a few days with a bleed on the brain and I believe he's pretty much out for the season now. Gutting for him but his safety and recovery comes first.