Fallout

scottsdad

On 17/04/2024 at 21:47, Fuctifano said:

Was sceptical about this but reviews seem good so might give it a go. 

I'm on pleb Amazon Prime so do you get adverts every 10 minutes with Preston from Fallout 4 saying a settlement needs your help? 

There were no ads in the first episode for me but in all but one of the rest there were either one or two 10 second ads for another Prime show. 

Sadly none for Nuka Cola. 

9 hours ago, Rodhull said:

But that’s it, it’s not the 1960s. In the fallout timeline the bombs drop starting in 2077. It’s just an alternate timeline massively influenced by some aspects of 1950s-60s Americana. The games have tons of things referencing the time before the war but don’t tend to have the direct flashbacks to the past like the show does so it’s hard to say for definite whether there was as much direct racism as there was in the real world time it’s inspired by. There’s plenty of xenophobia, Red-scare attitudes and nationalism due to there still being so much war between countries before the bombs drop though.

Ah ok. I may have missed that at the very beginning. That makes sense.

Another thing that I don't think was explained was how Moldaver is still alive after a couple of hundred years given she seemed to be a surface dweller. I perhaps need to watch some bits again as I got distracted, but I do think there were bits they just didn't explain to those of us who never played the game.

19 minutes ago, velo army said:

Another thing that I don't think was explained was how Moldaver is still alive after a couple of hundred years given she seemed to be a surface dweller. I perhaps need to watch some bits again as I got distracted, but I do think there were bits they just didn't explain to those of us who never played the game.

Aye unless I missed it too I think you’re right that it wasn’t explained at all.

Spoiler

I’m pretty sure she died at the end so presumably if they’re going to explain it, it will have to be via more flashbacks in future series.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I've been watching this in instalments when over at my mum's place, and I got her well warned early on that she's just going to have to ignore the fact that people can somehow live for hundreds of years and not even age. I played right through Fallout 3, and put hundreds of hours into New Vegas and Fallout 4, and I don't remember it ever being explained. The wonders of magic Fifties radiation, I guess.

Edit: we're on Episode 6 now, and I'm impressed that it actually gets better as it goes on. Best thing I've seen on TV in a long time.

Edited by BFTD

If that's the case then it's a flaw in the world building. It's a great series and a fine story, but to invest in the world the viewer needs to be informed of the rules of that world. Just a few lines of exposition would have done it. 

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I've been watching this in instalments when over at my mum's place, and I got her well warned early on that she's just going to have to ignore the fact that people can somehow live for hundreds of years and not even age. I played right through Fallout 3, and put hundreds of hours into New Vegas and Fallout 4, and I don't remember it ever being explained. The wonders of magic Fifties radiation, I guess.

Edit: we're on Episode 6 now, and I'm impressed that it actually gets better as it goes on. Best thing I've seen on TV in a long time.

I mean in the games (the ones I’ve played at least) apart from the ghouls, super mutants or if humans are put in something like a cryo chamber people generally don’t live for hundreds of years at all.

Edited by Rodhull

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2024 at 12:30, itzdrk said:

First two episodes are brilliant.  I think it probably works well as just a TV show for people who never played it whether they like games or not.  

Aye, my missus never played them, she loved it

On 19/04/2024 at 14:58, Mr. Brightside said:

She'll have been in a cryo-chamber in a vault somewhere.

I am pretty sure it was mentioned, in a very hinting way that she also ended up in the cryo chambers.

On 19/04/2024 at 15:13, Rodhull said:

I mean in the games (the ones I’ve played at least) apart from the ghouls, super mutants or if humans are put in something like a cryo chamber people generally don’t live for hundreds of years at all.

Aye I was confused as to what was mean there. Ye were either a Vault dweller, the courier or the cryo frozen vault dweller. Only Ghouls lived long.

Anyway. I fucking loved this. Felt it included everything in the game. Bits of humour. OTT gore and was just very Fallout like. Magnificent.

• 4 weeks later...

Started watching it a month or so back and turned it off after about 5 mins, thinking this is a bit shit. Went back to it last week after reading good reviews, thinking i must be missing something, or it'll get better. Glad i did, still didn't grip me right away, watched an episode, then was a couple of days later i watched the next episode, then the following day i watched episodes 3 and 4, and so on. Usually i'll just binge something and have it all watched in 2 sittings.  Got better as it went on though and by the time i'd finished i was hooked, looking forward to season 2 now.

Walton Goggins is usually very good in anything i've seen him in right enough, so i should've known he'd be superb again.

Late to the party but blasted through this. Very enjoyable, Goggins as everyone says was fantastic in Ghoul mode or in flashbacks, Ella Purnell and the character of Lucy were also great.

The Easter eggs of eating yum yum deviled eggs and the abraxo cleaner had me popping for every new one.

On Matt Berry, when it was just him as Snips speaking I actually thought it was Simon Pegg for a bit but I knew I recognised the voice, didn’t click until we seen the flashback.