The Worst Musical Act of All-Time: Lifetime Achievement

BFTD

9 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Although I do like Rock Music, I have never understood the appeal of Kiss.  I don't like their stage show, all the heavy make-up and most of all I don't really like any of their songs with the exception of "Beth".  Beth was a ballad written by their drummer, it doesn't sound like any of their other songs and worse of all for them - it was their most successful song.  There is an acoustic version (i.e. unplugged) and an orchestral version.  After they sacked the drummer - Peter Criss - they re-recorded with their new drummer.

Having said all that, Gene Simmons was entertaining with his Rock School series - especially in Series 2 where he goes to a comprehensive in Lowestoft and they show him no respect at all.

I think their first few albums were good, back when they were a rock band. Before they became just a vehicle for selling branded coffins and golf balls and other shite.

11 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Although I do like Rock Music, I have never understood the appeal of Kiss.  I don't like their stage show, all the heavy make-up and most of all I don't really like any of their songs with the exception of "Beth".  Beth was a ballad written by their drummer, it doesn't sound like any of their other songs and worse of all for them - it was their most successful song.  There is an acoustic version (i.e. unplugged) and an orchestral version.  After they sacked the drummer - Peter Criss - they re-recorded with their new drummer.

Having said all that, Gene Simmons was entertaining with his Rock School series - especially in Series 2 where he goes to a comprehensive in Lowestoft and they show him no respect at all.

I've always thought of them as one of those groups who are well known here because of their American popularity, but don't have a huge fanbase in the UK. If they were big here it was before my time, and they've kept their popularity going in the States much better. Oddly enough, I read something recently about them being a notorious joke in the music industry years ago for being terrible on their instruments and needing session musicians to help out.

Simmons is best known for being a piece of shit these days. He's married to Shannon Tweed, queen of the Nineties erotic thrillers, and she commissioned a video game to warn groupies to stop sleeping with her husband. Seriously. It's chock-full of pictures of her and Gene together to show how happy and secure their marriage is, and it's one of the most desperate and delusional things I've ever seen. Check it out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/289050/Shannon_Tweeds_Attack_Of_The_Groupies/

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I've always thought of them as one of those groups who are well known here because of their American popularity, but don't have a huge fanbase in the UK. If they were big here it was before my time, and they've kept their popularity going in the States much better. Oddly enough, I read something recently about them being a notorious joke in the music industry years ago for being terrible on their instruments and needing session musicians to help out.

In series 2, Simmons is driven in a car where the chauffeur was once in a band called Splodgenessabounds who had a song called "Pint of lager and two packets of crisps please".  Gene let's him play the song on the cassette recorder.

At this point the narrator points out that the only person in the car who has had commercial success in the UK is the chauffeur.  Ouch.

Everything mentioned on this thread so far is better than the autotuned pretendy millionaire pretendy drug dealers that pretend to have loads of girlfriends that my kids listen to. You haven't lived until you've heard D Block Europe making pigeon sounds because he's an Albanian eagle. 

Everything apart from Ed Sheeran that is. 

36 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Miles into page two, and it's like George Ezra doesn't exist.

If only that was the case

And that was the way we liked it, until you came along.... p***k

Posted (edited)

I took my daughter to see Mitski last week at the Usher Hall. She was thrilled and I have to say I didn't dislike the show her favourite put on.

However, the warm up act was a portly Geordie called Richard Dawson. His thing is freak folk or some similar gibberish. You know? Songs from the point of view of *insert absolute nonsense here* and so on.

I give you...

I thought he was earth-shatteringly shite to the point where I thought his out of tune guitar playing and exaggerated playing style was a piss-take of rock guitarists.

Folk were lapping it up too but lordy he wasn't for me.

Edited by Home Truths

6 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Ed Sheeran is a terrorist. 

My mum's told me before about how she was a Ziggy Stardust-era David Bowie fan and her older relatives would slag her for it.

I get the impression that Ed Sheeran might be the Millennials' Bowie, which is just so, so very depressing.