The Best Musical Act of All-Time: Lifetime Achievement

BFTD

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

"I want to hold your hand", "Help", "Girl", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "All you need is love"  and "Across the Universe" are all written and sung by the same person.

"Can't buy me love", "Yesterday", "Eleanor Rigby", "Penny Lane" and "Let it be" are also written and sung by another person in the same group.

"I need you", "If I needed someone", "While my guitar gently weeps", "Something" and "Here comes the sun" are all written and sung by yet another person in that group.

If you like, "Yellow Submarine", "A little help from my friends" and "Octopus' Garden" are all sung by the fourth person in that band.

If you go to see a Beatles Tribute Act, you will likely see what seems to be four shows that are actually just one show representing the music of one band.  Furthermore they all take turns singing instead of just one person having to do most if not all of the singing.

That is why the Beatles would get my vote.

But I don't like any of these songs. I actively dislike several of them.

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Alright, Beatles fans.

This is musical greatness?

TBF, I could fart into a tuba for fifteen minutes and call it a cover of Ode to Joy, but I really don't think Beethoven should be taking the blame for it.

Alright, fannybaws. Lets choose Queen.

• Released 73 singles to the Beatles 63
  • Greatest hits spent 1405 weeks in the chart, a record
  • Had the first single to reach no. 1 twice (Bohemian Rhapsody in 1975 and 1991)
  • First rock band in the songwriters hall of fame
  • First music video banned by MTV (I want to break free)
  • Most streamed 20th century song
  • Bo Rap got over a billion views on YouTube
  • Oscar winning movie biopic
  • Long running musical show using their music

22 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Bo Rap

b1dee690-dd41-4a08-be37-e43cb1fe771d_tex

TBF, most of that list is to do with Brian May being an excellent promoter and milking Freddie Mercury's tragic death.

I like both groups and think they wrote a shitload of quality material between them, but Queen would probably win out as performers entirely due to Freddie. The Beatles were from a simpler time where acts could still let their songs do the talking onstage without needing that level of showmanship. Let's be honest, Queen don't achieve half as much success without Freddie's persona.

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

b1dee690-dd41-4a08-be37-e43cb1fe771d_tex

TBF, most of that list is to do with Brian May being an excellent promoter and milking Freddie Mercury's tragic death.

I like both groups and think they wrote a shitload of quality material between them, but Queen would probably win out as performers entirely due to Freddie. The Beatles were from a simpler time where acts could still let their songs do the talking onstage without needing that level of showmanship. Let's be honest, Queen don't achieve half as much success without Freddie's persona.

This is kind of the point I make about the Beatles. Somehow it got attached to the narrative that they transformed music, that everything that came after them was because of them. 

Nothing like good PR!

Beatles were basically the Take That of the 60s. 

All right, another nomination.

• the most successful solo artist in the Hot 100 chart history (according to Billboard)
  • Most successful dance club artist of all time
  • Most number ones for a female artist in 6 countries, including the UK
  • The only woman to have sold out concerts to over 100,000 people twice
  • Outside of music, an author and actress
Spoiler

yoxKkW.gif?download=true

Madonna, of course

10 hours ago, scottsdad said:

All right, another nomination.

• the most successful solo artist in the Hot 100 chart history (according to Billboard)
  • Most successful dance club artist of all time
  • Most number ones for a female artist in 6 countries, including the UK
  • The only woman to have sold out concerts to over 100,000 people twice
  • Outside of music, an author and actress
  Reveal hidden contents

yoxKkW.gif?download=true

Madonna, of course

Would have agreed if she stopped after the Confessions album but there’s been nearly 20 years of self indulgent pish since then.

Kylie has been on the go nearly as long but has been consistently top notch, continually reinvents herself and is one of the good guys. Plus put up with the Stock/Aitken/Waterman era and lived to tell the tale.

Please be careful.  Anyone using record sales as a major factor is in dangerous territory.

The Black Eyed Peas sold more than 80 million records and @BFTD has already warned about them.

I think I'd put Kylie above Madonna now in terms of career. Twenty-odd years ago it wouldn't even have been a comparison. I was in the States when the tiny Antipodean had her breakthrough there with Can't Get You Out Of My Head, and I was shocked to see/hear her; frankly, I thought she was probably done as a big star in the UK too, as I hadn't heard anything from her since Confide in Me. Madonna was obviously more of a trendsetter, but those days are long gone.

They've both got incredible greatest hits catalogues now though, so there's probably not much in it. My Madonna Best Of album would even include popular songs that people seem to have turned against like Hanky Panky, Dear Jessie, and Human Nature, so she's got some amount of songs to choose from. Obviously they both put on a hell of a show.

1 minute ago, Hard Graft said:

Ian Hunter - one of the greatest songwriters of our generation. Still producing the goods on his last two albums Defiance Part 1 and Part 2.

I can honestly say I have never heard of him. 

On 25/04/2024 at 22:07, scottsdad said:

Alright, fannybaws. Lets choose Queen.

• Released 73 singles to the Beatles 63
  • Greatest hits spent 1405 weeks in the chart, a record
  • Had the first single to reach no. 1 twice (Bohemian Rhapsody in 1975 and 1991)
  • First rock band in the songwriters hall of fame
  • First music video banned by MTV (I want to break free)
  • Most streamed 20th century song
  • Bo Rap got over a billion views on YouTube
  • Oscar winning movie biopic
  • Long running musical show using their music

You could add record breaking concerts in Sun City during apartheid.

Great bunch of lads