Euro 2024 Expectations

Euro 2024 Expectations  

130 members have voted

1. 1. What are your expectations ahead of the tournament

• No Expectations
    • We’ve already met my expectations by qualifying. Anything else is a bonus.
    • To perform well, be competitive and not embarrass ourselves having made the tournament.
    • To qualify from the group.
    • To reach the later stages of the Tournament.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/05/24 at 21:00

13 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Ahh, you're probably going a bit too far mate the other way I think. There is no point in getting emotional and fatalistic just the same as there is no point in getting emotional and knee-jerk. It's just a problem: it can be solved, but there is no guarantee this team will solve it you have to accept that.

This team are trying to break new ground and that's something to get behind, probably the main thing for me. If they don't achieve it then it won't be due a lack of effort or because of poor planning/decision making.

I probably am going too far. But I'm saying the team has something to overcome, which is in-built. And passed down through the ages.

I'm not saying they can't. They've already achieved more than my generation ever did. Totally behind them.

51 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

👆

Nice one. If you were expecting that going in you won't have been too upset then I guess with it turning out that way.

4 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Nice one. If you were expecting that going in you won't have been too upset then I guess with it turning out that way.

That doesn't figure.

I predicted we'd struggle but am still resoundingly pissed off about what transpired.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Because we played poorly, offered very little entertainment and exited early.

And I'm Scottish.

Fair enough. It was more the anger element. I haven't got angry about the football for years.

I remember bursting into tears after my club team lost a last minute equaliser when I was a wee boy. You could see it was coming, we were 2-nil up and trying to hold on. Hearts versus Motherwell was the game if I remember correctly.

That isn't an issue for me now thankfully.

Edited by 2426255

30 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Fair enough. It was more the anger element. I haven't got angry about the football for years.

I remember bursting into tears after my club team lost a last minute equaliser when I was a wee boy. You could see it was coming, we were 2-nil up and trying to hold on. Hearts versus Motherwell was the game if I remember correctly.

That isn't an issue for me now thankfully.

Oh, I get much less upset these days myself.  My days of feeling truly scunnered over a football result and staying that way for ages, are now long gone.  

It was really disappointing though in terms of performance and attacking threat.  I thought we'd lose to Germany, but genuinely had no idea that we could play quite that badly.

It's perfectly possible, even sensible, to divorce predictions from desired outcomes, but it really causes some posters difficulty.  Look at the red dots often showered on posts that predict defeats.

With that Poland draw Scotland look set to finish 24th out of 24.

I don’t think even the most pessimistic of the negative Normans would have called that. 

21 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Oh, I get much less upset these days myself.  My days of feeling truly scunnered over a football result and staying that way for ages, are now long gone.  

It was really disappointing though in terms of performance and attacking threat.  I thought we'd lose to Germany, but genuinely had no idea that we could play quite that badly.

It's perfectly possible, even sensible, to divorce predictions from desired outcomes, but it really causes some posters difficulty.  Look at the red dots often showered on posts that predict defeats.

I'd suggest if you have the time to re-watch it. It isn't ever as bad as you remembered it I can promise you that. I don't think leaving it with the negative memory of the final 10 minutes helps.

I don't have notifications on nor do I care about red dots or my reputation here which is quite freeing. I just post what I want and don't care how it's marked. 

I am quite angry at the way we embarrassed ourselves on the big stage to be honest. I’m not punching holes in the wall but the way we approached the tournament pissed me off. Chat of four points, players publicly saying the Germany game was a free hit etc. These things bled into a team who looked terrified. We should expect better.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

I am quite angry at the way we embarrassed ourselves on the big stage to be honest. I’m not punching holes in the wall but the way we approached the tournament pissed me off. Chat of four points, players publicly saying the Germany game was a free hit etc. These things bled into a team who looked terrified. We should expect better.

I'd say expecting better isn't going to matter much. It's just going to make you miserable. Probably expecting less would be the better way to go.

Edited by 2426255

19 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

I said at the time that Buckie Thistle put a better performance in against Celtic than Scotland did against Germany. It wasn't their superior skill that won it, it was being first to nearly every ball, first and second, basically how we beat Spain. The skill and tactical nouse obviously helped too. 

Edited by welshbairn

42 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'd suggest if you have the time to re-watch it. It isn't ever as bad as you remembered it I can promise you that. I don't think leaving it with the negative memory of the final 10 minutes helps.

I don't have notifications on nor do I care about red dots or my reputation here which is quite freeing. I just post what I want and don't care how it's marked. 

I'm not unduly fussed over dots either, but I was making a point about the disapproval often evident when posters display a lack of optimism/rationality.

Are you referring to the Hungary game, with your last ten minutes remark?  I was actually happy enough with much of the first half in that match, but we were failing to impress well before the elongated injury time.   The Germany game was the real shocker though, more in terms of the performance than the scoreline which, despite being disastrous, actually managed to flatter us.

39 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Yes, I'm a bit cross that we effectively humiliated ourselves on the field.  I hate that 'free hit' thing.  It's utterly ridiculous in such tiny groups.  Did players really refer to it that way? Which ones? I missed that.  

Edited by Monkey Tennis

23 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not unduly fussed over dots either, but I was making a point about the disapproval often evident when posters display a lack of optimism/rationality.

Are you referring to the Hungary game, with your last ten minutes remark?  I was actually happy enough with much of the first half in that match, but we were failing to impress well before the elongated injury time.   The Germany game was the real shocker though, more in terms of the performance than the scoreline which, despite being disastrous, actually managed to flatter us.

Yes, I'm a bit cross that we effectively humiliated ourselves on the field.  I hate that 'free hit' thing.  It's utterly ridiculous in such tiny groups.  Did players really refer to it that way? Which ones? I missed that.  

Angus Gunn said to treat the game as a free hit and let them have the pressure. Not the worst thing but combined with chat of 4 points and so on it just doesn’t reflect well. 

Edited by Fratelli

6 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

Angus Gunn said to treat the game as a free hit and let them have the pressure. Not the worst thing but combined with chat of 4 points and so on it just doesn’t reflect well. 

It's a crazy way to approach a game when you only get to play 3 in that phase of the competition.  Gunn certainly played that night as if defeat wasn't a problem.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's a crazy way to approach a game when you only get to play 3 in that phase of the competition.  Gunn certainly played that night as if defeat wasn't a problem.

It also hints of a mindset where the players/we aren’t fully confident of our place at that level and there’s still a bit of that ‘we’re just wee Scotland’ thing going on - which is certainly how that game played out. McTominay spoke during the qualifiers of the desperate need to get rid of that mindset, just disheartening that we’ve yet to see any evidence of it happening. 

Keen observers will note just Poland and Albania also finished on 1pt and not only did both have far tougher groups, they scored more goals and conceded fewer.

Scotland rank as 24th and last.