Kelty vs Montrose

Can't see a thread despite it being Saturday morning, so here goes.

Massive game for both teams given that Kelty still have an outside chance of making the playoffs, but particularly for the Mo who are running out of (some decent, but blown) chances to make it a truly successful season by reaching the playoffs again.

Kelty have been on a great run of form, whereas the Mo are having their worst quarter of the season, only one win in the last seven (Cove).  Seems fatigue has set in, too many key players injured, squad not deep enough to cope - yet there is always good hope and history that this team can put in a great performance when it does really matter, especially when Away.

Without checking the stats, Montrose have a pretty good record at Kelty (and the other way around at Links Park).

No idea what is going to happen, looking forward to it....

1 hour ago, Robert Stansfeld said:

Can't see a thread despite it being Saturday morning, so here goes.

Massive game for both teams given that Kelty still have an outside chance of making the playoffs, but particularly for the Mo who are running out of (some decent, but blown) chances to make it a truly successful season by reaching the playoffs again.

Kelty have been on a great run of form, whereas the Mo are having their worst quarter of the season, only one win in the last seven (Cove).  Seems fatigue has set in, too many key players injured, squad not deep enough to cope - yet there is always good hope and history that this team can put in a great performance when it does really matter, especially when Away.

Without checking the stats, Montrose have a pretty good record at Kelty (and the other way around at Links Park).

No idea what is going to happen, looking forward to it....

Looking forward to this today , really don't know how we still have a sniff at the playoffs but we do and hopefully the boys can get the result which will take the last playoff spot to the last day of the season , great wee end to the season for teams involved but a heart attack waiting to happen for us fans , all the best for today and may the best team win (us hopefully 😁)

That felt more comfortable than I expected. Great defensive performance from Sean and the others. Blair Lyons was in good form too. Good performance from the whole team overall.

Delighted to be in the playoffs again after a disappointing end to last season.

Finishing fourth means a tougher route if we are to progress in the playoffs, especially given that both Queens Park and Inverness Caley-Thistle are probably considerably better than Morton were the last time we were in the playoffs as a fourth placed team.

Enjoying the Mo-ment for now anyway.

If you'd told me on seeing the teamsheet at 2.30 that next Saturday's game would be a glorified friendly, I'd have laughed. Our form has been really patchy of late but we always seem to dig in and find something when we need it and don't expect it. Lyons was excellent today and the wrong #11 got man of the match. 

Another batch of semi finals at least, then - well done to all involved, and if you are a fan of theoretical probability maths, we're currently the best team in Angus. Delicious.

Edited by Scorge

Really good performance from the whole team and that must have been the most comfortable win for Montrose over Kelty since they came into the league. I went today expecting a hard game and would probably have been happy with a point, but the Kelty who have had a late surge towards the play offs didn't turn up today. Bar a spell of Kelty pressure in the first half and for 3-4 minutes in the second Montrose were streets ahead and could have won by a couple more.

Blair Lyons for me was man of the match- he ran Kelty ragged and took both of his goals very well indeed. The second was the pick for me- shaping as though to play in Hester who was sqwauking for the ball, but instead changing his body shape at the last moment and sending the ball across the flat-footed Gourlay and into the bottom right hand corner instead. Lovely moment of skill and anticipation, like a snooker deflection shot.

Other high points for me were the performance of young Matthews in goal- just a wee kid really b ut caught and punched reliably and made a couple of critical saves, particulalrly in the game's "sliding doors" moment at the beginning of the second half; a Kelty forward burst through 1 on 1 suddenly and Matthews did enough to deflect the goal wide of the right hand post for a corner. Had that gone in the second half might have been very different.

Steeves, Gardyne also stood out for me but there were no failures in the team, all of whom contributed well today. It was a rare Montrose away game where I felt the side were untroubled throughout by a disappointing opponent.

So next week's game against QoS will be a dead rubber and important only for trying to continue a momentum which started again today after some recent poor results. THis team have done really well again toi make the play offs, can we progress this time? No shame if we don't, but we have a great opportunity for some of this squad who have been with us a long time, to scratch another notch on history's bedpost. Let's see.

There was a good Montrose following through and it was a lovely sunny day, an unexpected shirtsleeves day. The wind in Aberdeen will still cut you in half but it was really nice down there.

Well done to the players and the manager for getting us over the line, again.

17 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Another batch of semi finals at least, then - well done to all involved, and if you are a fan of theoretical probability maths, we're currently the best team in Angus. Delicious.

Mate, we're always the best team in Angus, regardless of league position.

f**k the smokies and completely disregard Brechin and Forfar.

Well done Montrose , we could've still been playing and still not scored , took your goals well and to be fair kept us at arms length quite comfortably, still a great season from Tids and the lads though a lot better than I anticipated at the start of the season 

Well done Kelty