24/25 - New Kits

Genuinely didn't think it was possible for anybody to somehow get hoops even more wrong than our current home kit, so fair play to Accies, that's actually impressively terrible.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

It's Turkish for wolf, hence the logo.

Mmm. That potentially opens up a new can of worms as the wolf is used as a symbol in some far right politics in Turkey. I think one of their players got a 2 match ban for making a wolf symbol after they won their knock out game.

Interesting times.

ETA It was Demiral

image.png.7eaea08a56fa1f37e9d659da6cc2f62f.png

Edited by Claudia Gentile

2 hours ago, Claudia Gentile said:

Mmm. That potentially opens up a new can of worms as the wolf is used as a symbol in some far right politics in Turkey. I think one of their players got a 2 match ban for making a wolf symbol after they won their knock out game.

Interesting times.

ETA It was Demiral

image.png.7eaea08a56fa1f37e9d659da6cc2f62f.png

I think @EaglesandSpiders will be the one to consult. But I did hear from a moderate that the situation there isn't too dissimilar from a hypothetical of far-right Scots appropriating the Thistle and then the far-left calling Partick/Inverness/Buckie/Strathspey fans racists. Apparently the wolf has been used as a symbol of Turkishness long before the right appropriated it. However, I have also heard that its use as a symbol had largely faded away (a bit like the unicorn in Scotland) until it was picked up by the right. But, like I say, Mr E. And-Spiders is probably best to listen to on this subject, and I should really shut up and stay in my lane.

P.S.: apologies for going off topic and distracting everyone from that horrific Accies kit we should all be vilifying.

17 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I think @EaglesandSpiders will be the one to consult. But I did hear from a moderate that the situation there isn't too dissimilar from a hypothetical of far-right Scots appropriating the Thistle and then the far-left calling Partick/Inverness/Buckie/Strathspey fans racists. Apparently the wolf has been used as a symbol of Turkishness long before the right appropriated it. However, I have also heard that its use as a symbol had largely faded away (a bit like the unicorn in Scotland) until it was picked up by the right. But, like I say, Mr E. And-Spiders is probably best to listen to on this subject, and I should really shut up and stay in my lane.

P.S.: apologies for going off topic and distracting everyone from that horrific Accies kit we should all be vilifying.

I had to read pages of posts for some context as I didn't expect to see Demiral doing the wolf's head salute on a p&b forum 😂

First, some TLDR for the wolf image and its place in Turkish culture and politics: Yes, the Grey Wolf appears in several Turkic origin stories (just like the founding of Rome by Romulus & Remus) in Central Asia. No, it's not officially our "national animal" but has been almost exclusively used and revered as a symbol by the ultra-nationalist Grey Wolves Youth organisation in Turkey. While many Turks acknowledge the Grey Wolf itself as a prominent image and motif in Turkic mythology, the Wolf's Head salute  unquestionably belongs to the far-right ultra-nationalist groups, which Demiral openly supports. 

Second, I've never heard of a kit supplier called KURT (and I couldn't find anything on the Internet either) but the logo suggests it's definitely related to the Turkish word for wolf. 

Third, and most importantly, that is truly some fucked up kit. I mean, I can't even... 🤣

23 hours ago, Beckford said:

Black fuckin shorts! Taking the absolute piss now

Holy f**k. Didn't think it could get any worse but black shorts will really top it off. 

20 hours ago, Oceanlineayr said:

That's utterly honking. Looks like a surplus Aberdeen top someone on the lash has went at with a paint brush.

"Painting the shite top reeeeed!" 

20240717185513.thumb.jpg.4bbbb28774977ccea13f1d0cbb6cb645.jpg

23 hours ago, Beckford said:

Black fuckin shorts! Taking the absolute piss now

Plain white socks and odd looking numbers as well.  It's just monstrous. 

20240717_173520.jpg

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Plain white socks and odd looking numbers as well.  It's just monstrous. 

20240717_173520.jpg

There is not a pub team in the land that would demean themselves by wearing that abomination.