The Kate Forbes thread

Sonam

Whether she will want to do the job with young baby or not.

If she does, the only SNP hope I reckon. Else John Swinney? No-one else up to the job IMO.

No deal with the Greens if Forbes is in charge. Leaves her relying on Alba or the other parties to get legislation through. Hard to see that being a viable long term plan.

An abhorrent excuse for a human being, she'd gain a lot of votes from the right and lose a lot from the left.

She'll also be regularly embarrassed by opposition politicians/media interviewers. 

She's not the answer to SNP problems

Probably the most competent in terms of running things and maybe the only one who could run them well. However the left wont accept her and as mentioned unless shes improved massively in understanding the media and the traps to avoid, a liability.

The same would apply for anyone from the progressive left so are there any middle of road views contenders (which most voters are) who are competent?

Edited by ScotiaNostra

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

She'd fall for every trap interviewers and opposition politicians lay for her and split the party in two.

listening to the radio this morning it feels like a split has potentially already happened

5 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Probably the most competent in terms of running things and maybe the only one who could run them well. However the left wont accept her and as mentioned unless shes improved massively in understanding the media and the traps to avoid, a liability.

The same would apply for anyone from the progressive left so are there any middle of road views contenders (which most voters are) who are competent?

I was impressed by the way Màiri McAllan managed the A9 dualling reset, but she might be too young.

33 minutes ago, DublinMagyar said:

An abhorrent excuse for a human being, she'd gain a lot of votes from the right and lose a lot from the left.

She'll also be regularly embarrassed by opposition politicians/media interviewers. 

She's not the answer to SNP problems

An accurate yet more polite description than I would use.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was impressed by the way Màiri McAllan managed the A9 dualling reset, but she might be too young.

Shes a possibility, not sure would get enough votes yet though. Maybe in a few years.

who chooses is it just SNP Members ? If it is and Forbes runs quite likely she wins. Its not a great time to takeover for anyone thinking about it though

Besides the quesstionable socio-political views, her economic policies seem to be the same magical thinking that have led to the UK becoming a complete basket case. It would be embarrassing for Scotland to be led by someone who appears to be objectively wrong about seemingly everything.

9 minutes ago, Alan Twelve said:

Besides the quesstionable socio-political views, her economic policies seem to be the same magical thinking that have led to the UK becoming a complete basket case. It would be embarrassing for Scotland to be led by someone who appears to be objectively wrong about seemingly everything.

Trickle down homophobia 

Forbes won 48% of the vote in a leadership election a year ago, she obviously has a high level of support in the SNP.  Every single opinion poll of the public during the campaign showed she was the most popular candidate.  Has this changed in the last year?

3 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Forbes won 48% of the vote in a leadership election a year ago, she obviously has a high level of support in the SNP.  Every single opinion poll of the public during the campaign showed she was the most popular candidate.  Has this changed in the last year?

doubt its gone down, more likely to have gone up if anything

9 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Aye, impossible to see how George Osbourne's economic policies married to pre-Enlightment social attitudes could possibly put any voters off.

1 hour ago, DublinMagyar said:

I won't be voting for any of the branch offices so maybe that's what we need - A Scottish Starmer 💩.

3 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Yep, I think there's a disconnect with the opprobrium Forbes attracts within politics and the level of support she has among the general population.

Having said that, the Greens seem to completely reject the idea of working with her and I don't think that the Tories or Labour will concievably co-operate.  I think the level of internal splits and attacks she would attract could also cause further issues with getting budgets through etc.  

I don't think she has a chance, or will stand now Swinneys in. Up against a progressive candidate it would probably have been closer.

Against Swinney, He'll have the progressive vote, without having to engage as much in the stuff Forbes will bring.

Essentially the left candidate, who'll sound like a centrist.