Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

2 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

Am I blaming the keeper for not coming out and collecting a floated ball that ends up 5 yards from his goal line when he has a huge height advantage and would pretty much be unchallenged? Absolutely. I’m not saying Ballantyne covered himself in glory but that should be bread and butter for ANY keeper at that level.  And you could tell by his reactions after that he thought that too. 

Not every keeper is instructed to come for those balls. There seems to be an assumption its always best for a keeper to do that when some are told by their managers to stay on the line and let the defenders deal with it.

As far as you know he's simply done what he's told and trusted his defence.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not every keeper is instructed to come for those balls. There seems to be an assumption its always best for a keeper to do that when some are told by their managers to stay on the line and let the defenders deal with it.

Personally I couldn't heep enough praise on every one of our players,

Felt we really fell out of the game with the two substitutions. Didn’t feel adding another centre-back especially shored up the defence after the equaliser but what it did do was lead to us abandoning the midfield. That was only compounded by taking Fitzy off as there was then no option for an out ball at all other than lumping it up to BBG.

But it’s definitely games like this we miss Lawless. If he and Fitzy are playing teams simply can’t double and treble up on both of them at the same time like that.

Felt McMillan and Milne had disappointing games defensively. Far too easy to get crosses in and for Airdrie players to drift round the back post.

What worked last night was, frankly, just running at them from midfield. They couldn’t cope with that as the McBeth goal showed especially (but Neilson, who I felt didn’t have a good game, also had some joy with that tactic).

Still very much in it, but I feel a lot less confident of whoever progresses beating Raith Rovers than I was 24 hours ago.

5 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Felt McMillan and Milne had disappointing games defensively. Far too easy to get crosses in and for Airdrie players to drift round the back post.

I like Milne a lot but I honestly wouldn't swap Megwa and Hancock for anyone in this league.

I’m surprised to see how few have mentioned neilsons performance. Fitzy was poor also but I thought neilson probably had has poorest performance in a thistle shirt or certainly one of. Was totally lost in midfield, not aware of free men around him and lost several 50/50s and headers to smaller airdrie midfielders. Eventually composed himself on the ball later in the game. 

52 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I like Milne a lot but I honestly wouldn't swap Megwa and Hancock for anyone in this league.

Is Hancock under contract for next season?

If not, I’d be very surprised if he’s still with you in August.

Some transformation for him - I seen him playing fit Arbroath against Dundee last season, and it was one of the worst individual performances I’ve seen at this level. 

18 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Is Hancock under contract for next season?

Yes, won't be surprised if a couple of offers come in for him though.

9 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Watching the game last night made me think there are quite a ot of players who will have attracted the attention of teams with bigger budgets than us, can see Hancock, Frizzell, Rae and Telfer maybe McGill and Ballantyne all having clubs offering them higher wages than us, hopefully we can keep a core of the team together though.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Except the immediate reaction from Fordyce (assistant manager), Ballantyne (vice-captain) and Watson (one of our most experienced players) was to turn round and have a go at the goalie. You wouldn't get that reaction from those players if Hemfrey has been told to stay on his line. I know players will always blame anyone but themselves but you rarely see such an angry and united reaction from 3 different players. Plus Fordyce definitely wasn't at fault so had no reason to shift blame, and his reaction was exactly the same, and he's assistant manager.

What you've also not seen is that all season Josh Rae was coming for those balls before his injury, I don't see why the instruction would suddenly change for the keeper not to come for them. I think it's pretty clear he should be coming out and taking that and that the team expected that.

That said, what I said up the thread is still true, it's dreadful defending overall regardless. As soon as it's obvious the keeper isn't coming the defenders need to deal with it, Megwa is sleeping and Watson and Ballantyne get mixed up. Hemfrey has shown already this season that he's not as confident at cross balls and therefore the defenders must be even more alert and aware of danger.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

21 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

He was back to his best last night. He had a spell around the turn of the year where he was excellent, the Hearts game in particular he was superb. I thought in the last month or so his form tailed off a bit. Perhaps due to tiredness through playing every minute in that tough run of fixtures, particularly as a wing-back. There's been games like the cup final and the Dundee utd game recently where he's tried too much, I think he's best when he keeps it simple like the 2nd goal last night, gets it out his feet and gets the ball in early.

28 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

If some of the chat is to be believed, he's already signed "a very good deal" with someone higher up the food chain.

And btw, I have no idea who that team that is, only stories.

12 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Class act, destroys Fitzpatrick any day of the week.  More event contest the 2nd half with him and Milne who's also a good player.

Another year to run on his Hibs contract but no shortage of suitors next season, if they look to offload him.

Whilst I would absolutely love to have Megwa in our team, I wasn't that impressed with him in the 4-0 win, where I think Fitzpatrick definitely got the better of him after a particular shift in tactics, however Megwa was fantastic last night tbh and will be interesting to watch the pair on Friday. 

57 minutes ago, Doolan9 said:

I’m surprised to see how few have mentioned neilsons performance. Fitzy was poor also but I thought neilson probably had has poorest performance in a thistle shirt or certainly one of. Was totally lost in midfield, not aware of free men around him and lost several 50/50s and headers to smaller airdrie midfielders. Eventually composed himself on the ball later in the game. 

I agree I don't think Neilson was great defensively, Airdrie seemed to breeze through our midfield far too often leaving the defence backracking where mistakes or in McMillians case not closing down players quick enough lead to Airdrie chances. Definitely need to win the midfield battle and play more attacking on Friday to win this I think. 

Looking forward to Friday though, if last night was anything to go by should be entertaining. 

25 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

If some of the chat is to be believed, he's already signed "a very good deal" with someone higher up the food chain.

And btw, I have no idea who that team that is, only stories.

The story I heard granted was a couple months back that Hearts were interested but he had signed a new deal at the turn of the year till 2025.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You are absolutely reaching here. It was a simple come and collect. He’d have have had to take a couple of steps and then collect it. If you really think he was following instruction then let’s agree to disagree. As said elsewhere, the reaction to him (and by him) says everything you need to know. And he’s had previous. Whenever a ball goes in the air, he is lost. No one around me last night did anything but hold him accountable. 

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Megwa appears to be a fantastic player. Can't believe Hibs will loan him out next season especially if your in the same league. Sometimes it was warranted last night, but he does seem to go down very easily.

Surprisingly, I felt pretty calm at the game last night. Not sure if that’s because it was only the first leg of 3 potential ties. Or just simply because it’s a free hit for us. The playoffs in the league below were absolutely horrible nerves wise!  

Yeah I was also really relaxed compared to last season. I was more nervous 3-0 up against Falkirk than I was 2-1 down to thistle. Feels good to just be able to enjoy whatever happens in these play offs.

Also while I may disagree with it’s sentiments, the ‘we hate airdrie’ song has been stuck in my head all day.