Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

56 minutes ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Both teams have much better home records than away records (only Arbroath has a worse away record than Airdrie), so it does seem the advantage is with us

Wrong claim on away wins:

in fact Morton are below Airdrie as well and Dunfermline are the same. 

On the game I enjoyed the swinging back and forwards in the scoring

Thistle looked quite tired near the end but it's only half time and I'll be looking forward to Friday rematch. 

That was a really entertaining game, absolutely nothing the like "cagey first leg" you sometimes get.  Probably any neutrals, except maybe Raith fans, would have enjoyed watching that.  Two teams going for it and mostly playing pretty decent football - though I was surprised at how early Thistle seemed to decide they were satisfied with a draw.  Megwa, Hancock, Telfer and McMaster were all really good, and Dicey kept Graham pretty quiet, which is not easy to do.

Thistle should fancy themselves to win it on Friday.  I think we'd have needed at least a one goal lead going into the second leg to make ourselves favourites, but the tie is still live and that's pretty good going.  I feel we might rue not putting away some of the chances we created when we were on top.  Telfer had a great shot in the first half their keeper blocked his legs, and at 1-0 we had a corner and free kick in succession where we had free headers because of good set plays and the Thistle defence clearly didn't know who was coming or going.  We had them on the ropes then, but didn't manage to make it count.  Still, Thistle haven't lost a lot of goals of late (playing a second string against Dundee Utd excepted), so putting two past them is not bad going.

Thistle should be favourites from here, but there's no reason Airdrie shouldn't feel confident that they can get a result.

14 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Wrong claim on away wins:

in fact Morton are below Airdrie as well and Dunfermline are the same. 

On the game I enjoyed the swinging back and forwards in the scoring

Thistle looked quite tired near the end but it's only half time and I'll be looking forward to Friday rematch. 

I was going by overall record, not just wins. I suppose wins are more relevant in a one off cup tie though 

image.thumb.png.9c98b0181f9e2a2741a54261dde63ccd.png

2 hours ago, Virtual Insanity said:

He's not a confidence inspiring keeper but I'm not sure he's actually done much wrong so far. Had a very decent save from Graham. 

Criticised him at half-time so only fair, that was a tremendous reaction save from Hemfrey in the second-half. 

Thought we were just the better team there in terms of quality on the ball and chances created. Put Brian Graham in our team and I think we win that by a couple of goals. As it is, I think we probably had to win to have any chance of progressing. Our recent record at Firhill is guff, but I’m happy enough to be going into Friday with the tie as evenly poised as it is. 

Thought Megwa was outstanding. Best player on the park and Telfer, Hancock and McMaster were excellent as always. Fair play to McGill for playing through what looked like a pretty bad shoulder/arm/collar bone(?) injury AND scoring the vital equaliser. He’s scored so many big and important goals for us I hope he’s got at least one more in him come Friday night. Probably naturally, given his injury, he dropped off a bit but I thought his overall holdup play was pretty good at points tonight too. Hope he’s alright to play come Friday as he’ll be a big miss with 1 and potentially 4 more games left to play. 

Looking forward to what will hopefully be another doozy come Friday night. Laws of average say we have to get a result at Firhill at some point… 

We started the 2nd half really well then get countered and I think Doolan panicked switching to the back 3.

McMillan looked burst by 70 minutes, startin him on Friday night against United might not have  been the best idea in hindsight.

7 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Criticised him at half-time so only fair, that was a tremendous reaction save from Hemfrey in the second-half. 

It was - and just as well as he got caught in two minds as to whether to come for it immediately before. Didn’t and made the save, could easily have cost another goal. He is absolutely hopeless when the ball is in the air - completely unable to read high balls. 

Airdrie the better team tonight so not unhappy with the result .Really need to make home advantage count and a bit of Fitzy magic (a couple of minutes would do) on Friday !.

Very even game where any side could probably have went on to win 4-2. Game very much in the balance still but hoping that is our beige performance out of the way and we step up a gear on Friday. Looked quite leggy in parts.

Pretty happy with that, myself.  Given how good Airdrie have looked this season, and with playing on that stickle brick surface, I feared that we’d be seriously behind in this contest.  As long as we show up on Friday, I think we can clinch the honour of getting easily beaten by Raith.

Mind you, I don’t get to see that stadium much, and I’d forgotten how much cooler Broomfield was.  (Though I never actually went to a game there, so don’t know how decrepit it may have been.  Just thought it had much more character.)

6 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

It was - and just as well as he got caught in two minds as to whether to come for it immediately before. Didn’t and made the save, could easily have cost another goal. He is absolutely hopeless when the ball is in the air - completely unable to read high balls. 

Are you blaming your keeper for one of the goals?

Ballantyne got completely outmuscled, lost his man and left him free 6 yards out, then went mental at the keeper as if it was his fault. Ballantyne does his job it's not a goal.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ballantyne got completely outmuscled, lost his man and left him free 6 yards out, then went mental at the keeper as if it was his fault. Ballantyne does his job it's not a goal.

I think the keeper should be coming for a floated ball that far out, so is initially to blame. But it should be obvious when the ball is halfway through it's flight that he wasn't coming for it (and the fact he presumably didn't shout for it) therefore the defenders have to deal with it. Watson and Ballantyne fall over each other trying to get to Graham, and Megwa is completely asleep wondering towards his own goal when he should be with Robinson. Just really poor all round.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think the keeper should be coming for a floated ball that far out, so is initially to blame. But it should be obvious when the ball is halfway through it's flight that he wasn't coming for it (and the fact he presumably didn't shout for it) therefore the defenders have to deal with it. Watson and Ballantyne fall over each other trying to get to Graham, and Megwa is completely asleep wondering towards his own goal when he should be with Robinson. Just really poor all round.

We're so reliant on Fordyce heading 90% of the cross balls that come into our box.

Edited by Kenny_m

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Am I blaming the keeper for not coming out and collecting a floated ball that ends up 5 yards from his goal line when he has a huge height advantage and would pretty much be unchallenged? Absolutely. I’m not saying Ballantyne covered himself in glory but that should be bread and butter for ANY keeper at that level.  And you could tell by his reactions after that he thought that too. 

What a really good game last night, both teams had their ups and downs, but a good competitive game. A brilliant advert for second tier football. 
I hope both teams can give the same level of performance in the second leg. 

Great game last night thought we edged it overall but Graham really should've scored towards the end.

Don't really fancy us at Firhill our record appalling there but what better time to break a record.

Kanayo Megwa btw, superstar.

I am holding onto the hope that some of our best results have came away from home whilst playing this formation and team. We have beaten Dundee Utd, Raith and Dunfermline towards the end of the season away so we have a decent chance. Certainly a tough ask

2 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

At the time I was blaming the defenders and to be fair still do,  3 defenders playing one man on a floated ball that lands on the penalty spot,  should the keeper have reacted, Yes, it seems a collective balls up,    

Brian Graham is old, slow, movement not great,  but either he reads the game better than most,  or our defenders lack concentration and leave him unmarked at crucial times..

Or

Graham is 37 and a class above any other striker you will face in this league..

Heck of a game last night,  still think it could go either way, playing deeper sometimes suits us away from home,   whoever wins the lose to Raith in the next round .

9 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

I was going by overall record, not just wins. I suppose wins are more relevant in a one off cup tie though 

image.thumb.png.9c98b0181f9e2a2741a54261dde63ccd.png

Is that goals scored/conceded which moves Airdrie to that spot? Fair enough extra data and indeed a wins a win . Cheers

9 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

That was a really entertaining game, absolutely nothing the like "cagey first leg" you sometimes get.  Probably any neutrals, except maybe Raith fans, would have enjoyed watching that.  Two teams going for it and mostly playing pretty decent football - though I was surprised at how early Thistle seemed to decide they were satisfied with a draw.  Megwa, Hancock, Telfer and McMaster were all really good, and Dicey kept Graham pretty quiet, which is not easy to do.

Thistle should fancy themselves to win it on Friday.  I think we'd have needed at least a one goal lead going into the second leg to make ourselves favourites, but the tie is still live and that's pretty good going.  I feel we might rue not putting away some of the chances we created when we were on top.  Telfer had a great shot in the first half their keeper blocked his legs, and at 1-0 we had a corner and free kick in succession where we had free headers because of good set plays and the Thistle defence clearly didn't know who was coming or going.  We had them on the ropes then, but didn't manage to make it count.  Still, Thistle haven't lost a lot of goals of late (playing a second string against Dundee Utd excepted), so putting two past them is not bad going.

Thistle should be favourites from here, but there's no reason Airdrie shouldn't feel confident that they can get a result.

Two games like this is surely exactly what Raith fans would want to see with both teams going for it for the full 90 minutes. The advantage of 2nd place comes from playing less games and hoping the QF takes it out your opponents while you rest your players.  

Really enjoyed the game as a neutral great entertainment and a decent advert for our league, both teams played some nice football and it was end to end stuff at times.