Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

46 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Thought those were two cracking legs of football, Airdrie were perhaps marginally the better team across 180 minutes but Thistle have the best forward in the lower leagues and that was ultimately the difference there. Expecting another cracker in the semi as well.

Airdrie are a striker and a competent goalkeeper off a title bid next season, provided our squad & manager aren’t decimated after 3 matches on BBC Scotland over the last 2 weeks.

1 minute ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Airdrie are a striker and a competent goalkeeper off a title bid next season, provided our squad & manager aren’t decimated after 3 matches on BBC Scotland over the last 2 weeks.

Calm doon FFS.

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Marching season is just starting. 

Thanks for spreading the news. It's the stupidity that never sleeps 

Really good two games, not nearly as gutted as past playoffs, a few key injuries didnt help us but Graham the difference over the tie, I think Raith will win the next round then sadly the premier team will beat Raith. Best season we've had for 20 years so no complaints.

20 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I don't think you'd find a single thistle fan who would claim we're a better team this season than last and yet we finished higher in the table and may go as far in the play offs if not (hopefully) further. I can't see Megwa in particular being back at Airdrie next season, he's defensively excellent 

I fully expect Raith to beat us - they’ve had our number this season and we looked dead on our feet at the end of both legs against Airdrie.

I’m genuinely not arsed if we fail to go up this season. I don’t think we’re ready and I can’t be arsed with VAR, games against the OF and shite kick-off times. I just didn’t want Airdrie to be the team to put us out. 

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

If there's one everlasting memory I'll have of this game, it's the attendance figure.

You a converted Falkirk fan or something? 

7 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

I fully expect Raith to beat us - they’ve had our number this season and we looked dead on our feet at the end of both legs against Airdrie.

I’m genuinely not arsed if we fail to go up this season. I don’t think we’re ready and I can’t be arsed with VAR, games against the OF and shite kick-off times. I just didn’t want Airdrie to be the team to put us out. 

It’s so strange and disheartening but fully understandable that people don’t want promotion due to VAR etc, I feel the same way. Something needs to give. Even if tonight’s decision would’ve changed with var I’m glad we didn’t have it. Great advert for Scottish football and a great example of why we need an expanded top league. Good luck for the next round.

Posted (edited)

Whew.

Surprised to read that Graham was offside at the first goal, was sat near it and the angle made it look like it could have been one of those funny ones where he was somehow behind the ball as it was played. Fair enough if he was but it wasnt one of those where anyone near me held their breath for a flag.

edit, trying to articulate it, but its a kind of almost vertical crossing position from in the box, which imo is harder to call for offside from the flight of the ball than a straight horizontal one past a last defender.

Var can still sook ma rook.

Also a time stood still one, thought for a second he'd Iwelumo'd it over the bar with the contact he got on it...

Milne, Graham and Fitzpatrick all put in a fair shift, all of them had moments where they got in and about Megwa, stopped him from comfortably having an influence the same way he strolled the last leg.

Considering we've no Lawless its great to still be in with a shout, fully expect Raith to pap us out - still, im all for us scraping by and somehow going up by the skin of our teeth in every single tie this time round vs. having a better side on paper last season and steamrollering every single game (except the last, most cucial one...) - a la the Peterhead playoff season where we were about 250 points behind Morton and somehow still went up instead of them.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

Airdrie absolute cuckolds Might have had a bit of a go but the best team won.

Sums up why having 4th place in the playoffs is a farce.

Should be same arrangements as the other leagues but that won't happen out of self-interest.

Great season for Airdrie but they were 4th best for a reason and that's how it panned out.

No idea how they will do next season but if they keep their better players and their manager they should be okay but will be hard pushed to resch the playoffs, imo.

47 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Those are the two that cost money though, every team in the league is looking for a quality keeper and striker. 

29 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

This. 

The " everybody hates fucking Airdrie" chant is good fun but certainly the sort of thing that you'd use in return if it was directed at you. 

Fully expecting Raith to pump us, we have no depth and likes of Mcmillan and Fitzpatrick were out on their feet. Last year because of the world cup we had extra space between the QP and Ayr games which we don't have this year. 

On a positive note I've never celebrated the opposition hitting the bar so vigorously before and the atmosphere in the JL was top notch, mad to think that stewards used to throw folk out at games (Tayside especially) for standing up, just wish we had the money to fully convert it to terracing. 

2 hours ago, paddymcp said:

I’ve never understood this argument that a team is at a disadvantage because they’ve had to play games (thus retaining match fitness) whereas the team who have sat on their arse for 11 days are going to be more prepared. It’s a football cliche repeated by many that has no basis in fact IMO. On the contrary - Partick are the team with the advantage IMNSHO

I don't think it's the number of game the Championship teams have to play, especially teams who finish 3rd and 4th, that's  the issue. 

It's the timescale overwhich the games, particularly the final thats the problem.. For example, playing Ross County last year on the Thursday and having 2 days to recover prior to playing them again on the Sunday is just not long enough enough.

The  schedule to play the SPL team should be Tuesday (1st leg) and Sunday (2nd leg?).

Really enjoyed both those games, 2 proper games of a football between 2 evenly matched sides. When you finish 4th you can't really see the play-offs as anything other than a bonus so I'm not too disappointed.

I think tonight, and probably Tuesday too, showed what we've seen all season which is that we're a really good side to about the 18 yard line, but just lack a real cutting edge. We dominate large spells of games but never really look like scoring. I think McCabe has got absolutely everything from the players he's got up there, but there comes a point where you rely on individual quality to create and score chances and we really lack it up front.

Overall it's been a fantastic season and everyone at the club deserves a huge amount of credit.  Be an interesting summer, looking forward to the squad ins and outs already!

Just remembered as well; Brian Graham winning several crucial defensive headers in our own box 😍🥰

I dont even think they were all from set pieces either, sometimes from open play and him going back to help out wherever he could. What a man.