Partick Thistle (4)🔴🟡⚫️ vs Airdrieonians (3)♦️

2 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

Every team is entitled to sporting integrity and fairness. That's why I bang on about the unfairness and lack of integrity of the current system. Two semi-finals and a final is fair etc.

If you have a downer on teams finishing 3rd and 4thvwhy don't you advocate a straight play -off between the team finishing 2nd in the championship and the 11th placed team in the SPL - that would be fairer  than the present system.

9 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

It would definitely be harder in a league of 5 because they will more than likely all be the same standard, which was the point, rather than in your ridiculous example where there will be teams of all different standards.

download (1).png

8 minutes ago, baba douche said:

2 down, 2 up, fucking simple.

If you're 3rd or 4th, tough.

Totally agree.

Failing  this why not have the same system we have for promotion from League 2 to League 1 and from League 1 to the Championship.

Why should the system for promotion to the SPL be any different from these.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

There will be more revenue from two games than one though.

Neither club makes much out of the playoff games. A good chunk goes to the SPFL which apparently goes into the parachute payments for the relegated Premiership clubs.

Obviously must benefit the SPFL to have two legged ties though as the aggregate crowds would  be bigger over two games and there would be two televised matches and any revenue from that in terms of one off advertising.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

The play-offs should be structured in a way that benefits Partick Thistle and Patrick Thistle alone. 

Exactly.

All we’re asking for is massively favourable treatment at the expense of others. Seems perfectly fair to me. 

30 minutes ago, Exiledjag said:

Why should the system for promotion to the SPL be any different from these.

I've always just assumed it's because of the different lengths of league season.

We're verging into my favourite territory of "SELF PRESERVATION LEAGUE" rants from people who demand fairness at all levels, despite them totally ignoring the only actual "self preservation league" in Scotland because it wouldn't affect their club at all. It's ironic.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've always just assumed it's because of the different lengths of league season.

We're verging into my favourite territory of "SELF PRESERVATION LEAGUE" rants from people who demand fairness at all levels, despite them totally ignoring the only actual "self preservation league" in Scotland because it wouldn't affect their club at all. It's ironic.

There's a bit of both. It's clearly designed to be weighted towards the Premiership team. 

1 hour ago, yoda said:

The play-offs should be structured in a way that benefits Partick Thistle and Patrick Thistle alone. 

I get that you're doing the whole funny bit, but the main suggestion folk have made in the last couple of pages of this thread (11th relegated, 2nd v 3rd playoff for promotion) would actually be detrimental to us if they existed, because it would reduce our chances of actually making the playoffs.

As with all these discussions, irrelevant anyway because no chance the current top flight clubs are passing a motion which sees an extra automatic relegation spot created.

Watched the highlights back there and as nerve shredding as it was at the time, it backed up my recollection that while we had to defend about 150 crosses into the box - Muirhead was excellent at this - Airdrie never created a real chance from open play in the second half with the shot off the bar coming from a corner. Frizzell being out definitely helped us there. 

We can't give up the midfield like that vs Raith though. 

1 hour ago, yoda said:

If you search back through my posts, you'll find I've always advocated third in the Championship getting a Champions League place.

Posted (edited)

Those were two good games, with two good teams going for it.  I think Airdrie probably were the better side over the piece (of course I would), but we paid the price for not taking our chances when we were on top in the first leg.  Lack of real cutting edge as the complement to our excellent buildup play has been the problem for us this season in general - but that's fine, it's a work in progress.  The fundamentals are there, and if McCabe is happy to stay at Airdrie next season, it'll get better.  Brian Graham and an incompetent linesman were the difference, and not many teams have a talent like Graham at their disposal and there's nothing you can do about the officials. 

Overall, a very successful season for us, and lots to look forward to next year.  I think the best is yet to come from this Airdrie team.

Edited by A Diamond For Me

Playoffs are fine as they are. Like parliamentary democracy, it's the least bad solution.

That was a battle over the 180 minutes. Two evenly matched teams with slightly different strengths and weaknesses. It was hard to really enjoy as I was so nervous for most of it. Think our weak bench is what will kill us. Losing Adeloye and Lawless for the season really hurt our depth and (along with the close scorelines) we've not been able to rest players as much as Doolan would have liked. Raith should beat us, especially with the second leg at home, which was a big advantage for us last night I thought.

Airdrie play nice enough football, their manager seems the sort of person I wouldn't mind working under, and their squad generally has acceptable hairstyles. If you swapped their staff with some other club I'd be quite happy for them to do well, but as it is: GIRFUY.

Both excited for, and dreading, Tuesday night. 'Mon eh Jags!

4 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Neither Thistle nor Raith beat the Premiership team, I’m afraid.

I don't think they would beat County but The Johnnies are beatable. 

Don’t actually disagree that 3rd/4th place in a 10 team league can’t complain much, but they’ve been involved in the lower league play-offs for about 15 years and no one cared that strongly. When it comes to the top flight it’s all of a sudden a problem and a handy excuse for the stupid nature of the play-offs.

2 hours ago, Gibby82 said:

There's a bit of both. It's clearly designed to be weighted towards the Premiership team. 

How?

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How?

Don’t be obtuse. The different lengths of the season is convenient but there’d be some other excuse if it wasn’t for that.

Playing 2 extra league games over the course of 10 months really shouldn’t be a huge issue that makes the play-off format wildly imbalanced.

Just now, eez-eh said:

Don’t be obtuse. The different lengths of the season is convenient but there’d be some other excuse if it wasn’t for that.

Playing 2 extra league games over the course of 10 months really shouldn’t be a huge issue that makes the play-off format wildly imbalanced.

So the "fairest" solution is to make one team play more games?