Killie in Europe 2024/25

Just now, Sortmeout said:

I suppose that is a good point. At 0-0 I was thinking how can I sit through this again next week because if it was 0-0 or even 1-0 we probably would sit in.

We need to go get at them now. I do think if we go at them too much they’ll cut us open on the break but at the same time we are out as it stands anyway so might as well have a go.

I can see Killie setting up to go quick and direct early doors to win some set pieces. If there's no joy, he'll probably have you set up to be solid for a good while before going for it again.

It's definitely not over.

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

I thought the pen was a penalty to be fair. It feels harsh because it’s VAR but even in real time I was a bit worried it was coming back when the game stopped. When it didn’t go to VAR quickly I did feel we had got away with one, although it was soft.

Do you think we get it at the other end?

I don't.

1-0 would have been a decent result, and the volley from the header out for the second goal could have gone anywhere. I would class it as unlucky. I only saw the second half, but on the ball, Killie were horrendous. Panicked and lost possession almost as soon as they had it. A couple of insipid breakaways, but like last week, spent almost the entire second half no further out than 30 yards from their own goal. They got away with it in Tromso, but København were a step up in class, albeit they didn't really threaten too often. 

11 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

1-0 would have been a decent result, and the volley from the header out for the second goal could have gone anywhere. I would class it as unlucky. I only saw the second half, but on the ball, Killie were horrendous. Panicked and lost possession almost as soon as they had it. A couple of insipid breakaways, but like last week, spent almost the entire second half no further out than 30 yards from their own goal. They got away with it in Tromso, but København were a step up in class, albeit they didn't really threaten too often. 

The first half we did push out at times and we had a few decent wee moves and passing spells. Especially as the half went on. Nothing amazing but we had a little bit of calm possession at times. Probably a max of maybe 6 or 7 passes to a Killie player in a row all night.

56 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I thought the pen was a penalty to be fair. It feels harsh because it’s VAR but even in real time I was a bit worried it was coming back when the game stopped. When it didn’t go to VAR quickly I did feel we had got away with one, although it was soft.

You're in the minority there I think, you the ref and elyonoussi about the only folk seeing it.

What's the point in even making a challenge in the box anymore? Both them going in at same height for a 50/50, nobody really winning it and certainly whatever contact is made doesn't prevent their player getting a shot away or even getting it under control. 

The fact the ref is called to look at it is terrible. I know you can be biased when it's your team but generally you can accept it, I thought Vassels handball v Cercle was much more a penalty for example. 

That tonight was really poor refereeing and not why we have VAR

14 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

You're in the minority there I think, you the ref and elyonoussi about the only folk seeing it.

What's the point in even making a challenge in the box anymore? Both them going in at same height for a 50/50, nobody really winning it and certainly whatever contact is made doesn't prevent their player getting a shot away or even getting it under control. 

The fact the ref is called to look at it is terrible. I know you can be biased when it's your team but generally you can accept it, I thought Vassels handball v Cercle was much more a penalty for example. 

Aye I see that everywhere else I’m definitely in the minority. It was definitely soft but I can only call it as I see it.

Some of the other decisions were poor as well as you said.

I couldn't see what the penalty was given for and my Danish doesn't exist so I had no idea what the VAR check was for. I assumed a handball but the ref didn't spend much time looking at the screen.

Killie looked like falling part in the 5 minutes after and if the chance immediately after goes in then I think they'd have collapsed. But it didn't and they recovered reasonably well. The tie is almost certainly done but Killie can be reasonably happy with the performance, no? FCK scored with their only meaningful shots on target and if not for the penalty that game probably finishes 0-0.

Two of the better Copenhagen players weren't even playing - Larsson and Delaney. Are they long term injuries? 

Unbelievable for the two Scottish teams to basically concede with the last kick of the ball. 1-0 I'd have given Killie a chance at the plastic horror, but 2-0 it's curtains. 

7 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

That's what I don't like about VAR. The referee will be looking for contact, and, watching repeat slow -mo replays, you'll almost certainly always find contact. It was a nothing penalty, Elyanoussi wasn't impeded and it was a blatant 50/50.

Ref was a total homer. I'm proud of the team.

On 23/08/2024 at 04:46, Fide said:

That's what I don't like about VAR. The referee will be looking for contact, and, watching repeat slow -mo replays, you'll almost certainly always find contact. It was a nothing penalty, Elyanoussi wasn't impeded and it was a blatant 50/50.

Agree with this. Whether you think it's a pen or not, it's absolutely not the kind of thing that VAR was brought in for - minimal contact that made no difference to that phase of play. The ref is given a zoomed in slo-mo clip on repeat, so of course he see's the contact. Show him it in real time as well for a bit of context and I don't think the pen is given, or at least it shouldn't be.

On 23/08/2024 at 05:45, Theroadlesstravelled said:

It's a penalty for me.

The Killie boy was late in the challenge, didn't make contact with the ball and kicked Elyounoussi's foot.

A daft challenge to make in the box. Blood and snotters stuff.

Watching it again after the seethe had passed I can see why it was given, whether it needed to be looked at in such microscopic detail is another thing but that's VAR for you...

The defending for the second goal is even more infuriating, and it doesn't show Mayo slicing the ball behind for the corner when it was easier to concede a throw in 😖

The second goal obviously makes it tough and has likely killed the tie, but going to the game tonight knowing an aggregate win would arguably be the greatest result in Killie's history. 

Just pray we are given some moments of hope. A strong start. A first goal. Moments of optimism. 

Hope Killie can make a game of it. Seems a bit of an error not to have had tickets up for sale until a couple of days ago. If they'd been up before the 1st leg, tonight would probably have been a sell out 

Edited by Buckets