Raith Rovers 🔵⚪️ [3] Vs [3] Partick Thistle 🔴🟡 [Rovers progress on penalties]

10 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

I'm not sure I agree. I thought we were the better side for most of the 4-3 game in December, but even then had to come from behind, and I think Thistle possibly deserved a point in the game at Firhill in March.

Just a wee observation - why do Thistle fans and Weedgies in general always talk about coming "up" to Kirkcaldy / Fife? We always talk about going "through" to Glasgow, rather than "down" to Glasgow. I'm not saying one is right and the other is wrong, it's just something I've always found curious.

They also talk about going 'doon the water' whilst the Clyde is not a waterfall.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

They also talk about going 'doon the water' whilst the Clyde is not a waterfall.

The Clyde flows doon the way. It's how it gets to the sea. 

These two games could be decided by the better central defence and attacking  resources . 

Thistle have the edge in defence where McBeth has turned out to be so good there alongside Muirhead. In our games with Raith I was doubtful about the various choices made by Ian Murray, so if Raith's multiple attacking choices don't quite click, then it's Thistle going through for me.

I'll watch with great interest but Thistle need to take a lead to Kirkcaldy. I do hope that either of them do manage to relegate the "bigger" team.  I think it will be St Johnstone who deserve a wee change of division. 

15 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

These two games could be decided by the better central defence and attacking  resources . 

Thistle have the edge in defence where McBeth has turned out to be so good there alongside Muirhead. In our games with Raith I was doubtful about the various choices made by Ian Murray, so if Raith's multiple attacking choices don't quite click, then it's Thistle going through for me.

I'll watch with great interest but Thistle need to take a lead to Kirkcaldy. I do hope that either of them do manage to relegate the "bigger" team.  I think it will be St Johnstone who deserve a wee change of division. 

Can’t argue with any of that.

The last two posts touch on an important point. I don't want to resurrect the whole 'we'll get battered without Scott Brown in midfield' skit from last season's games against Thistle, but for me a lot will hinge on whether we are able to get two of Euan Murray, Keith Watson and Dylan Corr fit and on the park for both legs. I don't think Scott Brown's been terrible in defence by any means, but we lose a lot when we have to take him out of midfield to cover for absences in the centre of defence.

Just now, Kuma Power said:

The last two posts touch on an important point. I don't want to resurrect the whole 'we'll get battered without Scott Brown in midfield' skit from last season's games against Thistle, but for me a lot will hinge on whether we are able to get two of Euan Murray, Keith Watson and Dylan Corr fit and on the park for both legs. I don't think Scott Brown's been terrible in defence by any means, but we lose a lot when we have to take him out of midfield to cover for absences in the centre of defence.

Brian Graham has real potential to bully Scott Brown at CB and I'm surprised it hasn't happened already in one of the league games. 

Rovers squad size and the use of it could be the key to winning this over 2 legs. 

Is it not Tuesday yet?

Absolutely buzzing for what will be my first visit to Firhill, think from a Raith point of view as long as we keep it tight like our last two games against Thistle then taking it back to Starks still with a game to play should be a priority. I think both sets of fans should be confident of getting through and for the neutrals surely this fixture just screams chaos over 2 legs? Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the final aggregate score was 6-6 and we went to penalties on Friday night.  

In terms of Raith I've had a go at my own starting 11:

Kev

J. Brown, Murray, Corr, Dick

Matthews, Stanton

Mullin, Vaughan, Turner

Hamilton

That holding midfield pair is really hard to call, wouldn't be annoyed at Brown or Byrne coming in - maybe Byrne will with his playoff experience - but I just absolutely love Ross Matthews.  Think Callum Smith will come on with around 60 to go instead of the usual Hamilton/Rudden swap and as impressive as McGill is going forward I think he'd only get a start over Dick if we're chasing the game.  Going to a go for a shitebag 1-1 prediction tomorrow evening setting up an absolute cracker on Friday.  

19 minutes ago, Starksdynamo said:

Is it not Tuesday yet?

Absolutely buzzing for what will be my first visit to Firhill, think from a Raith point of view as long as we keep it tight like our last two games against Thistle then taking it back to Starks still with a game to play should be a priority. I think both sets of fans should be confident of getting through and for the neutrals surely this fixture just screams chaos over 2 legs? Honestly wouldn't be surprised if the final aggregate score was 6-6 and we went to penalties on Friday night.  

Kev

Matthews, Stanton

Mullin, Vaughan, Turner

Hamilton

That holding midfield pair is really hard to call, wouldn't be annoyed at Brown or Byrne coming in - maybe Byrne will with his playoff experience - but I just absolutely love Ross Matthews.  Think Callum Smith will come on with around 60 to go instead of the usual Hamilton/Rudden swap and as impressive as McGill is going forward I think he'd only get a start over Dick if we're chasing the game.  Going to a go for a shitebag 1-1 prediction tomorrow evening setting up an absolute cracker on Friday.  

We’re not scoring many goals these days. I can’t see us getting 6 in 2 games.

1 hour ago, Claudia Gentile said:

When are the officials announced for this match?

I was chuffed that you had Colin Steven on Friday night as surely that would rule him out of any involvement in this tie.

Then again, with the SPFL who knows.

49 minutes ago, Starksdynamo said:

Is it not Tuesday yet?

Kev

Matthews, Stanton

Mullin, Vaughan, Turner

Hamilton

For me, going into this game with Scott Brown on the bench would be absolute madness. Completely changed the game when he came off the bench in the 4-3 game this season.  You could argue that makes him a great impact player to have on the bench, but I'd rather we didn't need to use him to get us back into the game.

I also really want to see Callum Smith play a significant role in this.  Thistle's defence would be pretty comfortable with longballs being thrown up to them.  They look like they would struggle against real pace though and there's no doubt Smith offers more quick direct running than anyone else in our squad.

Interesting match up and not much between the teams and results this season.

From our perspective it’s madness that we don’t have a clue how Murray will setup or who’ll play. If we were to be papped out I’d rather it be by going for it.

Our recent performance against Arbroath was far more like the team at the early part of the season. I don’t rate the PT keeper so we need to be testing him.

Not sure if our little break will have helped or hindered but that’ll be at least part answered tomorrow. As I said not much between the two teams so it’s about the big players making the difference, Brian Graham has already shown he’s there to step up. We need the same from Vaughan, Hamilton and Easton if played.