Spartans v Dumbarton (Play off final double header)

25 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

It certainly looked like a stamp, but there is no reaction from the player on the ground. Did he actually make contact?

If you watch the video earlier in the thread there is definitely contact. Tony Wallace is going mental that no ref or assistant has seen it. 

Posted (edited)

I had to settle for BBC Alba last night on a dodgy hotel WiFi. Not what I would have wanted but it was nice to watch the sons on the iPad when everyone else in the hotel bar were glued to some diddy league game, Spurs versus some other mob.

Home end looked busy which was encouraging. Overall I thought we did enough to warrant a win and despite Spartans starting well and applying pressure in the second half we looked fairly solid defensively, with the goals coming from very little and the one exception being the crossbar being hit when it looked easier to score! Crichton and Dornan looked composed and won their respective battles, and Lennon continues to impress and has improved considerably since his early showings.

Newbury had a great game and deserved his MotM and Gray also had a productive evening. 

The stamp in Orsi was a clear red card that should have been spotted by the officials. Disappointing that he then goes on to score. They got away with one there, but then so did we with the penalty claim.

Fair play to Faz. That’s three playoff games so far where I think he’s got it spot on tactically.

Edited by Jordo1872

The hotel WiFi shat the bed between 12 and 29 minutes so I missed both our goals, but it worked fine from then on so was able to see the half time replays and the rest of the game. Attendance in the away end was pathetic. I thought at the time Crighton's goal was onside, but because the camera man refused to wipe his lens, it was like watching the game through cling film. Shame we conceded but we looked to tire and become scrappy second half. Set up well for Friday and I think we will do it.

As a member of the Surrey Sons Supporters, I don't get to see many games so it was fantastic to see the game last night. My observations from an exiled Son.

I was really impressed with how we played in the first half, it was easy on the eye, we had some nice moves and although Spartans looked sharper on the ball, they rarely threatened. The defence were super solid and I only recall Hogarth making one real save the whole game, from a corner in the first half. They did look threatening at set pieces though.

We had some really nice touches and moves down the wings and this always looked like our best bet. I thought Ruth was close to Man of the Match - he was strong and dangerous throughout the game but especially in the first half. 

Carlo also had a great first half, with Lennon, Grey and Newbury also looking good. At the back Crighton and Dornan were superb.

What happened in the second half though? Where was the composure? Where were teh cool heads? It seemed that instead of taking a touch and controlling the ball, we seemed to hit it first time every time even when we were not under pressure. This was hugely puzzling and disappointing. It was if we had forgotten how to play and we didn't know how to move the ball in pressure situations. It led to a very nervous second half.

The referee was dreadful. He missed so much. I watch a lot of non-league football down here and follow Crawley Town in League Two and we think the officials down here are bad - my goodness he must rank with one of the worst I have seen for some considerable time and we have some real stinkers down here.

How on earth did he miss the stamp when he was looking directly at it from two or three yards away. The rest of the game he seemed to favour Spartans. There is no merit in going through individual decisions except the red card but overall he was awful.

The pitch though. I have seen the comments on here for the last couple of seasons regarding the pitch but I couldn't believe it. It was an absolute disgrace. Could the groundsman not at least roll the pitch? There were large chunks missing everywhere, the ball bobbled and chuntered, frankly it is unacceptable to play on a pitch like that. Did I notice two penalty spots drawn on the pitch at the away end? It may have been the rain on the camera.

I know we have another team playing on the pitch and we have had a lot of rain but I see clubs down here who share their pitch and they look impeccable. Get a decent groundsman.

Anyway, the rants of an exile. Fantastic to see the Sons play (and play well) and a great win - let's see if we can keep it together on Friday.

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Few hours rain before kick-off on Friday, might be best to select a medium stub for standing on the 'terracing'

image.png.94b2cc5539e9844308a27626fc019d89.png

I think that's for Pilton in Somerset, rather than Edinburgh

Well all to play for on Friday! It’s going to be a nail biting occasion for sure. Unfortunately, I think my post-match debrief has to start with the referee. Now I like to believe that I’m always pretty fair towards the officials (post-match at least) but last night’s team were very very poor! Firstly, the decision not to take further action against that stamp is interesting and the waist-high challenge also was questionable. Secondly, I felt that way more 50/50 decisions went against than for us. It was actually mainly in the first 15 minutes that we had about 5 free kicks against us all for very little and we were denied a clear corner in each half - I was further away from the Hilton one in the second half but the one won by Ruth in the first was such an easy decision. Then, bizarrely and not that it favoured either team, but the referee and near side linesman especially kept staring at each other for a few seconds after the ball went out before spinning the wheel to see who got the throw in. I don’t like to criticise referees who generally have a thankless task but to get such a important game so wrong isn’t ideal - I think it’s a good job we won the game or sons fans would be feeling very aggrieved. Putting that aside, I’m hopeful my former PE teacher, Grant Irvine, will perform far better on Friday! 

Meanwhile, onto the match. It’s definitely true that we played better in the first half. The slight wind against us actually made it ideal for Ruth cause chaos and hold up everything brilliantly. I thought Spartans were a tougher battle for him than Stirling centre back duo (who were by no means poor) but he still had his fair share of success. In the second half he was perhaps left slightly isolated up top and more balls were sailing over his head. 

Spartans actually began the match really well and knocked the ball around crispy for 5-10 mins but this faded away and they looked solid but unspectacular throughout bar another 10 minute spell at the the start of the second half. They play at such a high tempo that it’s always going to be hard for them to sustain pressure, as attacks will break down frequently but can see why they are nightmare to play against if you’re chasing the game and they play neat combo’s through you. I always think of them as very well organised team (in and out of possession) with great physical qualities. Dishington always impresses me with his willingness to get on the ball in midfield and drive the team forward. Meanwhile Sonkur is an absolute unit at centre back and offers a big threat from set pieces as we saw, though he arguably shouldn’t have been on the pitch to score his goal - I thought he was a standout performer for Albion rovers last season. Booth was very solid at left back and gave Orsi a much tougher time than Clark did in the past two games.

The first goal was an absolute fluke, Gallagher hit miss hit a long ball which looked harmless but quickly accelerated towards the goal at a very awkward height for Carswell and to be fair he made an absolute mess of it, but great anticipation by Tony Wallace to tap in the loose ball. The second goal was a belter though, great play to release Ruth down the left and he did very to spin the defender and whip in a lovely low cross for Gray to bang home. One thing we can praise Farrell for this season is we have consistently had bodies in the box when crossing which has been lacking for many years of watching Dumbarton.

The Spartans goal was somewhat a fluke just as our first goal was. Sonkur’s flick looped over Hogarth and into the net. It’s one of those where if Hogarth had stayed on his line the ball was probably more likely to fall around the 6 yard box and allow Henderson etc a tap in - so I don’t think he can be blamed. 

Second half was definitely very cautious from us. It was notable the amount of times different players all cleared their lines without even considering taking a touch, making me think that it’s very much a managerial decision. I guess you can’t blame Farrell for being keen to remain in the game after the last two seasons. I think that was the reason for the lack of subs, despite the tired legs he clearly has a lot of trust in this group of players to maintain tactic discipline. Graham could possibly have replaced any of Ruth, Orsi or Wallace slightly earlier. That being said, we weren’t terrible by any means there were still some good attacks mainly from crosses into the box, however it didn’t quite fall for us.

All to play for on Friday. Expect an even more cagy game than this one  and just hope to get over the line. If he’s ready, I’d bring Hilton back in for  Wilson. No other major changes needed at this point. Moving Carlo to midfield is a valid discussion but is now one for next season I feel.

Didn’t see the stamp from the stand but just watched some of the game back … is there no review process that someone at the SFA/SPFL can review the footage as the ref took no action?

@sarti pooh any way you could send the BBC the right badge? They’ve been using that one with red letters for about a decade 🤣

I saw the Sonkur stamp in real time. I've since seen the video from bbc alba. Absolutely unbelievable that he wasn't dismissed. I'm surprised that there wasn't more of a reaction from our players or the bench. That had the potential to kick off of the players had reacted, or for somebody to try and leave a sore one on Sonkur.

Really no excuse for the ref not issuing a straight red.

10 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Grant Irvine. Hasn't taken charge of us since beat Clyde 2-1 in a dead rubber in the 2021/22 season.

I should say as well (seen as I didn't mention it at the time). I thought Lloyd Wilson was excellent at Forthbank. Every time I see him I'm impressed. He's really firm, takes absolutely no shite, but generally manages games well. And I thought he did that again on Saturday. It's probably quite difficult to be really strict and not wind everyone up, but he toes that line well imo. And was miles better than the guy who did the first leg.

Lloyd Wilson is the only referee I'm happy to have appointed to a forfar game. 

Seems to be one of the very few who doesn't buy the shite players are selling.

24 minutes ago, GoTeamGaz said:

@sarti pooh any way you could send the BBC the right badge? They’ve been using that one with red letters for about a decade 🤣

This drives me mad and I've no idea where they've got it from!

Posted (edited)

(At least) Three huge calls they got wrong/completely missed:

- The stamp on Ruth for a straight red
- Blatant second yellow for Russell
- Carlo's foul for a Spartans penalty (since I'm not biased lol)

Edited by FifeSons

The standside assistant referee was straight down the tunnel at ht and again at ft. Is there a reason why he was allowed to do that rather than leave the pitch with the rest of the officials?

16 minutes ago, microdave said:

The standside assistant referee was straight down the tunnel at ht and again at ft. Is there a reason why he was allowed to do that rather than leave the pitch with the rest of the officials?

One lino goes down the tunnel to watch for any fights that kick off, I believe. 

15 hours ago, GordyBrow said:

Sonkur stamped backwards at Ruth after bundling him over in the middle of the pitch at the far side.

His foot clearly lands on the grass next to him. No reaction from the Dumbarton boy and if Big Sonkur lands on you, you'd feel it. 

8 minutes ago, Owsley 2 said:

His foot clearly lands on the grass next to him. No reaction from the Dumbarton boy and if Big Sonkur lands on you, you'd feel it. 

His right foot clearly landed on the ground and then the stamping motion is with his left to the players body. Intent is clear.

Having watched it again.... I don't think Sonkur puts much weight into his left foot...maybe had a split second of clarity and thought better of it. That's maybe why so little reaction from the player fouled.