WOSFL Summer Signings

1 hour ago, Westy1 said:

It makes sense football wise. They will be there or thereabouts this season. 

Watched them on several occasions last season and i fancy them to win it this year. Good strong squad with a fantastic young coach leading it, they play some really good stuff. 

Also, I don’t think this is a decision made for cash, considering the clubs he has rejected.

Aye this will 100% be a total football based decision……..

3 hours ago, Shannon said:

Seen Rumours St Cadocs trying to sign Beith's Ciaran Diver? 

At least Darvel and Johnstone Burgh have history and do have some support - St Cadocs & Gartcairn meanwhile I am just glad Meadow arent playing them next season to get a thumping in front of a spattering of applause from family members & committee. Doesnt feel like a proper football game at our level when play those two unfortunately and more like attending a youth or kids game.

So how do clubs get history? Good luck to St Cadocs or anyone else putting money into our level of football. 

1 hour ago, Westy1 said:

It makes sense football wise. They will be there or thereabouts this season. 

Watched them on several occasions last season and i fancy them to win it this year. Good strong squad with a fantastic young coach leading it, they play some really good stuff. 

Also, I don’t think this is a decision made for cash, considering the clubs he has rejected.

They have a reputation for professional coaching - or at least using modern methods - so that's something, but as a club they're completely uninspiring to fans looking in from the outside.

There's nothing wrong with lending your services to the highest bidder because a football career is an earnings window that only lasts a fleeting fraction of a players working life, but I'd like to think that players also place some value in the culture, history and support around their clubs, something that St Cadocs badly lack. in fact they lack it so much it almost makes you wonder if they have to pay even more for players to get them to see past these problems. 

20 minutes ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

So how do clubs get history? Good luck to St Cadocs or anyone else putting money into our level of football. 

Dont you need fans to have history worth bothering about? Its all very well throwing money (and they are) from millionaire backers at players and coaches and buying more drones than a ukrainian defence force base, but if you cant attract fans, people passionate about your club, in any measure, doesnt need to be thousands, but even just 10 actual fans, then no, its a pointless exercise that’s just a play thing for someone. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

10 minutes ago, Shanner said:

They have a reputation for professional coaching - or at least using modern methods - so that's something, but as a club they're completely uninspiring to fans looking in from the outside.

There's nothing wrong with lending your services to the highest bidder because a football career is an earnings window that only lasts a fleeting fraction of a players working life, but I'd like to think that players also place some value in the culture, history and support around their clubs, something that St Cadocs badly lack. in fact they lack it so much it almost makes you wonder if they have to pay even more for players to get them to see past these problems. 

I really doubt with the other clubs in the frame, St Cadocs would be the highest bidder. Im not suggesting he is going for a low wage, but, with Burgh & EK involved, theres no doubt they have more financial pull than St Cadocs. 

Fellowes and his staff have a very good, growing reputation aided by being involved with our national teams at several age groups including senior. 

That will without doubt be attractive to players, alongside a decent financial package. 

Agree on the lack of support, they are a large youth club trying to grow and develop, doing it well so far, so fair play to them showing ambition. 

maybe they'll gain some support on their journey… success usually attracts people in the west of scotland… the recent growth in certain clubs supports this. 

Some jealous last few posts. If someone offered you more money for doing the same job anyone would take it, why would it be different for footballers who at this level are working full time too.

If your team has just been relegated maybe not in a position to complain about others still in the division.

6 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

Some jealous last few posts. If someone offered you more money for doing the same job anyone would take it, why would it be different for footballers who at this level are working full time too.

If your team has just been relegated maybe not in a position to complain about others still in the division.

Maybe for some people there is more to turning up and pocketing the cash.

Players will know from talking to other players whether training is shit, coaches are arses or you will have to motivate yourself as there are no fans to do it.

9 hours ago, Fabi said:

Maybe no one else wanted him!! 😁

in all seriousness surely Jamie is still at a level to be concentrating on playing for the Bankies rather coaching ? 

Spoke to many fans that admire jamie and way he plays sure other clubs have noticed aswell take from that what you want im delighted hes been with us all this time 👌

St cadocs are certainly a team going somewhere with an exciting young manager and plenty of investment, what player wouldnt want to be involved in that. There are plenty of teams in lowland league with similar setup who dont seem to struggle with having limited support.

11 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

St cadocs are certainly a team going somewhere with an exciting young manager and plenty of investment, what player wouldnt want to be involved in that. There are plenty of teams in lowland league with similar setup who dont seem to struggle with having limited support.

Hopefully Gartcairn and St Cadocs can move up to the Lowland League soon playing like-minded teams in Caledonian Braves and Broomhill St Pats Open Goal or whatever they are called this season.

West of Scotland Premier Division used to have 12 or 16 top non league teams - was always 1 or 2 teams spending money but all had won trophies in their past or had a fan base even if was just 50-100 hardy regulars and good grounds to visit so you made an effort to go to most away games. Unfortunately it's all changed and not for the better in my opinion or maybe I am just out of touch.

Edited by Shannon

4 hours ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

But are they putting money in to our level of football? Gartcairn and St. Cadoc’s have raised the bar, wage wise,  which causes financial problems for teams in their own league trying to acquire players  but bring nothing in monetary benefit in away games whilst reaping the benefits of large supports at their home games. 

5 hours ago, Westy1 said:

I really doubt with the other clubs in the frame, St Cadocs would be the highest bidder. Im not suggesting he is going for a low wage, but, with Burgh & EK involved, theres no doubt they have more financial pull than St Cadocs. 

Fellowes and his staff have a very good, growing reputation aided by being involved with our national teams at several age groups including senior. 

That will without doubt be attractive to players, alongside a decent financial package. 

Agree on the lack of support, they are a large youth club trying to grow and develop, doing it well so far, so fair play to them showing ambition. 

maybe they'll gain some support on their journey… success usually attracts people in the west of scotland… the recent growth in certain clubs supports this. 

It would help if they actually had their own home ground in their original community.

Edited by Johnstonian

5 minutes ago, Johnstonian said:

It would help if they actually had their own home ground in their original community.

Fair point, I reckon they will be aware of that 

19 hours ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

Have you not heard about the football history shop, where new teams can get one? 😂 The reality is that parts of Scottish football are stuck in the 1970’s, and anything new that comes in is seen as something to be feared. Also just ignore that large youth club that you and St Cadocs have, and the opportunity you are giving to them to play football and keep fit.

1 hour ago, To B or not B said:

Have you not heard about the football history shop, where new teams can get one? 😂 The reality is that parts of Scottish football are stuck in the 1970’s, and anything new that comes in is seen as something to be feared. Also just ignore that large youth club that you and St Cadocs have, and the opportunity you are giving to them to play football and keep fit.

Expecting teams to have a stadium in their locality and some fans is sooooooo 1970's. 

Edited by Shanner

18 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Expecting teams to have a stadium in their locality and some fans is sooooooo 1970's. 

Gartcairn have a stadium in their locality??? I’ve never really understood the uproar about teams having a certain number of fans, like history, that will come.

Edited by To B or not B

6 minutes ago, To B or not B said:

Gartcairn have a stadium in their locality??? I’ve never really understood the uproar about teams having a certain number of fans, like history, that will come.

The abomination that is Gartcairns ground could hardly be called a stadium.

Just now, andy25 said:

The abomination that is Gartcairns ground could hardly be called a stadium.

They still have a home, which seemed to be what was irking the poster who I was replying to.

2 hours ago, To B or not B said:

Do most clubs in the WOSFL not have a youth pathway now and this is required as part of the pyramid system?