Hibernian's Next Permanent Manager

Who ill be Hibs' next permanent manager?  

280 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Would you like to go back and read my first post on the issue again?

Take your time.

Nah, I'm not getting bogged into one of your debates. It's pretty clear you've decided only a few clubs can have sustained success so are just completely writing Kilmarnock doing that off, so discussing this is totally pointless.

2 hours ago, Galajambo said:

68 players on their books, and not one of them worth a bolt 🤣

Wow. I assume that includes youth players etc, but that's vlad-level madness 

2 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Rhys McCabe

Not a bad shout, but I feel not yet. Appears very ensconced at Airdrie.

2 hours ago, Starksdynamo said:

Ian Murray would be a disaster at Hibs which is why I can see it happening.  

Not sure disaster, but I can see the temptation for this hire being strong amongst all parties 

52 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Ah yes, because the Edinburgh clubs are well known for their periods of sustained success these days.

Its not the 1950’s or 60’s Vincent, the best either will ever do these days is have a few seasons in the top six, a couple of semi finals with potentially a losing final, along with some bottom six mediocrity and the occasional relegation thrown in.

He’d probably up his wages quite a bit in fairness, so if that was a motivation for him he might be tempted.

Yep, both clubs have underachieved but that's the temptation for a lot of managers.

Anyways, why isn't Robson on the list as far as I can see.....

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

He'd get paid more money and have a far better chance at sustained success.

It's an obvious move to take, and if Hibs want him then the only way they won't get him is if McInnes sees that it's a proper shambles behind the scenes. If Hibs ask to speak to him, what McInnes does will be quite instructive.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've gone from saying he'd walk to the Hibs job because it's so much better, to agreeing he won't take it because Hibs structure would restrict him building a squad, within 2 posts.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nah, I'm not getting bogged into one of your debates. It's pretty clear you've decided only a few clubs can have sustained success so are just completely writing Kilmarnock doing that off, so discussing this is totally pointless.

No need to get bogged down anywhere, old chap. Here it is in all its glory. I've mentioned it in literally every post.

Maybe read the posts you're replying to before diving in with both feet, eh? Good lad.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kilmarnock have every chance of making the top 6 5-6 years in a row and challenging for trophies, with him being loved throughout. He goes to Hibs and one bad season/run of form sees him hounded for "boring football".

I doubt he'd stay at another club as long as he was at Aberdeen, he admitted, in hindsight, it was to long in one place in a PLZ interview with Peter Martin last week

I can't see McInnes going to Hibs, even if he is approached. Whenever I hear him speak on this, he says that he places the most importance on the people he works for, and some of that is almost certainly about the amount of control he gets over the football operation. He clearly has a lot of that at Kilmarnock and pretty much got handed the keys to the place by Milne at Aberdeen too. 

Hibs should be a good job, but it just doesn't seem like a particularly attractive proposition for a good manager at the moment: the squad is poor, the off-field people seem to be incompetent, and the manager's job itself is verging on poisoned chalice territory.

I could see them ending up with someone like Robinson, who isn't as good as McInnes but should at least represent an improvement on the last few incumbents.

19 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Most Hibs fans want him but we’ll end up appointing someone with no Scottish experience as usual. We will be back to square one this time next season looking for a new manager. 

Scottish experience doesn’t mean guaranteed success, Mixu, Yogi, Ross, Butcher, Duffy & Lennon had all managed in Scotland before with success but all of them were sacked/moved on after some port performances.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Mcinnes was pretty open in his time with us that he has ambitions to manage Scotland and/or get another crack at England. 

The judgement he needs to make in his head will be

a) what platform is killie giving him to achieve those objectives

b) what interest is there in him now and at what level

c) does the potential at hibs significantly enhance his chances of meeting those ambitions 

d) is the risk vs reward right with hibs structure etc in terms of achieving that potential 

e) At what point does he run the risk of missing his peak stock at killie like he did with Aberdeen (he’s definitely not there yet) and finishing top 6 become something that doesn’t get noticed externally. 

This is a really good point. If he stays at Killie, even if he continues to do as well as they are now, they could still easily fall backwards in terms of League position if Hibs finally get their act together, and the same with Aberdeen. Both very large 'ifs' admittedly, but Killie could be finishing 5th or 6th which is still good going, but probably not going to catch anyone's eye in terms of the National Team or down south.

Hibs seems much higher risk reward, he could go there, sort them out and get them a 3rd or 4th place finish which would be impressive given the number of failures Hibs have had. Equally he could go there and be sacked by March. If he has ambitions of managing Scotland or going back down to England I'd say it's worth the risk because it would take a Steve Clarke type season for Killie for him to get those moves if he stays there, which is incredibly unlikely. Hibs probably gives him slightly more scope to do something eye catching.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

5 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I can't see McInnes going to Hibs, even if he is approached. Whenever I hear him speak on this, he says that he places the most importance on the people he works for, and some of that is almost certainly about the amount of control he gets over the football operation. He clearly has a lot of that at Kilmarnock and pretty much got handed the keys to the place by Milne at Aberdeen too. 

Hibs should be a good job, but it just doesn't seem like a particularly attractive proposition for a good manager at the moment: the squad is poor, the off-field people seem to be incompetent, and the manager's job itself is verging on poisoned chalice territory.

I could see them ending up with someone like Robinson, who isn't as good as McInnes but should at least represent an improvement on the last few incumbents.

Have you got any evidence for that?

:whistle 🧌

44 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Hopefully Vincent will be sucked into the AberHibs vortex forever.

I think he already has.

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

This is a really good point. If he stays at Killie, even if he continues to do as well as they are now, they could still easily fall backwards in terms of League position if Hibs finally get their act together, and the same with Aberdeen.

When did Aberdeen, Hearts, and Hibernian, all have their "acts together" at the same time?

Every year people get told the top 6 is a closed shop because those 3 will join the Old Firm in there, and all but the odd year sees at least one be a shambles and miss out.

Criticism of the Edinburgh clubs and Aberdeen is entirely valid given recent experiences.

It's not the 50s/60s any more, but the complexion is changing quickly. We appear to be moving into a new era where the finances of those three clubs are starting to far outstrip the rest.

With the right structure and managerial appointment(s), you can achieve sustained "success" with clubs at that level. You can see it at Hearts – three consecutive top four finishes (twice finishing third), regular semi-final/final appearances in the cups and narrowing the gap on Celtic and Rangers by virtue of winning more regularly against the rest, as well as a couple of wins against Celtic.

You're relying on those three clubs not to make awful decisions (managerial appointments, player recruitment, structure), and it might be that Hibs are one to avoid for a manager like McInnes right now, but the potential is certainly there for consistent top six finishes at Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen. Certainly more than at a club like Kilmarnock IF they get it right.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

When did Aberdeen, Hearts, and Hibernian, all have their "acts together" at the same time?

Every year people get told the top 6 is a closed shop because those 3 will join the Old Firm in there, and all but the odd year sees at least one be a shambles and miss out.

Last season was as close it has got - as they did finish 3rd, 4th and 5th respectively.

The difference in the extra grand or two per week on average that these clubs pay, is nowhere near enough to guarantee finishing higher against sides who are well-coached/ organised and don't have that extra pressure of being city clubs with wider fan expectation of being on the front foot in most matches.  Some players seem to struggle with that - even players that do well for other sides that move to these clubs (or vice versa).

Edited by tarapoa