Clyde FC Season 24/25

1 hour ago, Clyde_MM said:

Takes a brass neck to ask anyone to fork out £19 for football at this level for sure.

If your boy is playing Saturday morning football, I'm guessing he's under 18? Would be £24 entry for the pair of you if that were the case.

That's good to know @Clyde_MM, thank you. Although, like you said, the £19 is still high, £24 is an affordable price I'd be happy to pay for both of us to come to be fair, and I most likely will.

Thank you

53 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

The reality is the cost of everything has gone up, as have wages for the majority, with that in mind it isn't actually costing you much more than it did last year. 

The reality is that the cost of living over the last few years has increased dramatically as has inflation and the  vast majority of workers don’t get pay rises  in line with these costs and the rate of inflation making them real term pay cuts.  So it could cost people much more than last year. 

42 minutes ago, Ocelot1877 said:

The reality is that the cost of living over the last few years has increased dramatically as has inflation and the  vast majority of workers don’t get pay rises  in line with these costs and the rate of inflation making them real term pay cuts.  So it could cost people much more than last year. 

OK maybe I generalised it too much, we could probably go around in circles all day debating this, if you ain't happy with the prices, fair enough 👍

3 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

I can see the thinking behind raising the price from £17 to £19. As has been said previously, if you can afford 17 you can probably afford 19 whilst still keeping things under £20. It raises a wee bit more money, capitalising on a wave of positivity and probably won't put anyone off.

That said, the optics are absolutely shocking. Just speaking hypothetically, if we have 200 punters that paid by the week continuing to do so, that's only an extra £400 top line raised every home game. It's something, sure, but barely worth even considering raising the price and causing this conversation in the first place. I think the club has taken the wrong message from the aforementioned wave of positivity. 'People want to come back, so they'll pay more' almost. What should have happened is the club to keep the tickets the same/similar prices but have more *stuff*, more extras and wee bits you can pay for throughout the season.

Raising ticket prices after statistically one of the worst seasons in the clubs history is a terrible look.

I do get the point you make however to say it’s only an extra £400 raised, that is a top L2 player wage for that week.  If we want to be competitive at the right end of L2, the reality of the situation is fans need to play their part in making the club successful as we don’t want a repeat of last year.  Terrible look or not the simple fact is we need more money and the fans need to buy tickets to make that happen.  

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Captain Sham said:

I do get the point you make however to say it’s only an extra £400 raised, that is a top L2 player wage for that week.

No, it's not - you can't just pay a player every time you have a home game and £800 a month isn't getting you top L2 quality. Not to mention fluctuations in numbers coming to the ground.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

Huge pressure on McCall and Clyde here. The folk that are (bizarrely) justifying this price are using the "if you want a successful side you need to pay for it" (I assume they would agree it fair the away fans are charged a fairer less price then, aye?) - imagine if Clyde are doing shite. What neutral or floating fan is going to be happy to pay that price? 

It'll be interesting watching how it plays out if Clyde don't hit the ground running next season. 

23 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Huge pressure on McCall and Clyde here. The folk that are (bizarrely) justifying this price are using the "if you want a successful side you need to pay for it" (I assume they would agree it fair the away fans are charged a fairer less price then, aye?) - imagine if Clyde are doing shite. What neutral or floating fan is going to be happy to pay that price? 

It'll be interesting watching how it plays out if Clyde don't hit the ground running next season. 

Do you see the numbers of away fans in L2?

Lucky to reach 100 and on at least 4 occasions last season I counted between 25 and 40 fans. 

27 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

No, it's not - you can't just pay a player every time you have a home game and £800 a month isn't getting you top L2 quality. Not to mention fluctuations in numbers coming to the ground.

I think the point Capt Sham is making is that extra £400 every month is not to be sniffed at and along with our increased budget will help fund a higher end player. 
I would hope we’ve seen the last of the Cameron’s and Connor Youngs for example. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I think the point Capt Sham is making is that extra £400 every month is not to be sniffed at and along with our increased budget will help fund a higher end player. 

It's not to be sniffed at, but you have to weigh up whether any ill-feeling generated by a price increase during a heavy cost of living crisis after one of our worst seasons in history is worth the extra couple of hundred quid a week. £17 is already a stretch for those that need to pay weekly, by choice or necessity. It works out at about £3.5k extra for the season (just purely using 200 as the number, I've no idea what the actual figure on people paying weekly is) and in my head, that money could be raised in ways that don't hit the pocket of a punter that just wants to watch a game of football.

Similar to Annan, we could have done a bit of a crowdfunding drive where those that could afford to shell out a wee bit more and get something in return - thanked in a program or a wee video from a player or something. People that are able would end up putting more than £2 in and you'd make equivalent money without pissing off a lot of your support at a time where they really need people to be buying in, literally and figuratively.

Edited by Brian Carrigan

A cigarette packet figure of £400 a month is less than what we are paying the pointlessly retained Darren Hynes, for christ's sake. If the argument is really going to be "what's an extra few quid every few weeks", then why not increase it by a fiver? I'm sure we could all afford that every fortnight and that'd be about £40k more into the budget if we held on to everyone.

It's strange to go cap in hand to fans after you've secured a six-figure annual donation to your playing budget, particularly when you've made a habit of urging fans to dig deep in order to fund your risible shite in the past. Even stranger, though, is making fans pay more rather than asking them to give more, without any kind of engagement or consultation. If they had instead created a playing budget fund that people could pay into, they'd get their precious milk up front as well.

Other posters had it spot on; Gordon Thomson would be getting dog's abuse if he pulled this move with the same messaging and rightly so. Just because Maitland has been and will be great for the club doesn't mean that he should be beyond reprieve and we need to make him accountable for missteps he makes, of which this is clearly his first.

22 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Do you see the numbers of away fans in L2?

Lucky to reach 100 and on at least 4 occasions last season I counted between 25 and 40 fans. 

So you agree, those who make the effort shouldn't be made to pay a ridiculous price for League 2 football then? 

1 minute ago, SLClyde said:

Years since I’ve had a season ticket, is it still a physical book you get or a QR code or similar online system? 

It's an (often temperamental) app on your phone called TicketCo Wallet, you get a personal QR code and use that to scan in to every game. If you're missing one you can take a screenshot and send it to someone else to save them remortgaging their house to pay in!

45 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Yes but that week you do have the home game it’s £400 that’s available for a wage.  People don’t seem to grasp the fact that good players cost money and that has to come from somewhere! 

A section of our support only see problems instead of trying to help the club progress.  If that means paying a little extra then I’m happy to do so.  I’m fed up of the watching garbage on a Saturday so I’ll happily pay an extra 2 quid a time if it gets me a Kinnear in goals rather than Leighfield/Parry.  

Rightly or wrongly everything in life has went up in price the last few years why would football be any different?  Other people may see things differently but they can please themselves.  

Allan Maitland urged us to back the club and it will get better.  People need to decide whether they are willing to do that or not.  

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

So you agree, those who make the effort shouldn't be made to pay a ridiculous price for League 2 football then? 

No I’m saying the price rise makes no difference to away fans as they haven’t travelled for years. Those die hard will still attend in the same way our die hard travel and pay even at the away grounds that charged more, like at Falkirk for example.

1 minute ago, FREDDYFRY said:

No I’m saying the price rise makes no difference to away fans as they haven’t travelled for years. Those die hard will still attend in the same way our die hard travel and pay even at the away grounds that charged more, like at Falkirk for example.

Well it does make a difference to those who go to the effort of travelling. It's a very much "f**k them" attitude. 

It's not a go at Clyde (well obviously it is as they're charging it) it's just a joke to be charging folk £19 for a L2 game. Said for years league prices should have a cap but I doubt it'll happen. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Well it does make a difference to those who go to the effort of travelling. It's a very much "f**k them" attitude. 

It's not a go at Clyde (well obviously it is as they're charging it) it's just a joke to be charging folk £19 for a L2 game. Said for years league prices should have a cap but I doubt it'll happen. 

Is there any club in Scotland (or anywhere for that matter) who charge less for away fans than they do the home fans?

Thats a genuine question as I don’t recall seeing that anywhere.

ETA: I would be surprised if the cost to away fans was a consideration in this decision by the club. They’re not in place on the board to greatly worry about how costing will affect away fans imo, especially in L2 with the extremely small away crowds. Say 10 or 20 decide not to go due to the increase out of maybe 75-100 for example who would have before, it’s not a real blow each home game. I would imagine Away crowd figures won’t factor into the budget to greatly in L2 or even L1.

Outwith the Championship away crowds are dire.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

5 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Is there any club in Scotland (or anywhere for that matter) who charge less for away fans than they do the home fans?

Thats a genuine question as I don’t recall seeing that anywhere.

ETA: I would be surprised if the cost to away fans was a consideration in this decision by the club. They’re not in place on the board to greatly worry about how costing will affect away fans imo, especially in L2 with the extremely small away crowds. Say 10 or 20 decide not to go due to the increase out of maybe 75-100 for example who would have before, it’s not a real blow each home game. I would imagine Away crowd figures won’t factor into the budget to greatly in L2 or even L1.

Outwith the Championship away crowds are dire.

Not allowed to charge difference prices for home and away fans.