Clyde FC Season 24/25

What a difference being able to make a raft of subs and not completely destroy the quality of the team.

Edinburgh were not great by any means but after last season that was very enjoyable viewing.

31 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

What a difference being able to make a raft of subs and not completely destroy the quality of the team.

This is what will make the difference this season

We can play 5 subs every game and not have an effect on the quality already on the park.

Again big Logan having an impact up front when comes on

Think him, Rennie and Connell will get 40+ goals between them this season

Edinburgh were poor, but you can see where Clyde are going. The team's not fully up to speed yet, but you can see all the parts are there.

Left and right back positions night and day from before, and the core of the team is settling in. Scoring loads of goals, looking a danger from corners.

A much, much better side with the ball on the deck. At times tonight I felt Clyde lost their way going a bit direct needlessly. Looked a good team moving the ball around. Big Logan up front worked surprisingly well, that said. Pretty much everything he did resulted in a goal or a chance. Doubt that'll be as effective against good opposition, but he'll be a good option when chasing a game. Didn't see that coming.

Edinburgh reminded me of Clyde's League One 22/23 team. Looked competitive until something went wrong for them, then completely fell apart. Was sort of the reverse of Clyde's last visit to Meadowbank in 2023 shortly before relegation.

Edited by DoingThe42

The difference between what was and what will be is illustrated perfectly by the fact that we made five strong substitutions, and still had Docherty, Hynes and Lyon left over. Finding the strongest team and the best system will take a bit of time, but once it happens then we will be a force.

Without either of them shining, you could see that Robson and Houston are comfortable 1v1 defenders, good athletes and no strangers to bombing forward. Having been unimpressed by McKay in the first half, it's a shame that he had absolutely nothing to do in the second, but I'm sure he will suffice as a back-up at the very worst even if that first half was reflective of his talents.

Edinburgh did do a good job of getting in our faces in the first half but the midfield trio of Cuddihy, Grant and Lyon just felt a wee bit stodgy without any of them having a poor game. The decision to withdraw Lyon of the trio at half time was the correct one, and Cuddihy and Grant absolutely ran the game thereafter. Scullion's resultant move into something of a free role behind Connell swung the game completely in our favour.

Scullion's fitness levels are immense, he's so aggressive in his play and he has a bit of quality to go with it; he's going to be massive for us this season and he'll only get better. The back 5 set-up of Edinburgh didn't really play into Redfern's hands, but after switching to the left he had a bit more joy and it's great to see that he is comfortable on either flank. Rennie was effective when he came on, while Connell had a bit of a lonely time of it in the first half but evidently has a bit of everything in his locker, including excellent corner deliveries. I wouldn't be hugely disappointed if we went into the season with him as our starting striker.

Robbie Leitch remains an immensely frustrating player who clearly has bags of talent, but can't quite seem to string it all together in any position. I really hope McCall can unlock some of his potential over the course of the season as there is plenty there. Dunachie up front is basically the second coming of Brian McQueen and perhaps even a wee bit better; he made a few lovely movements and any centre back he faces up there will do well to best him in the air. Intrigued to see how he goes against a better standard of opposition.

Early days of course, but it's impossible not to be encouraged by tonight, over the piece. I don't think I'll allow myself to get properly excited until we get going in the league, but nobody can deny that all the tools are there for a successful season. Happy days.

2 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

At times tonight I felt Clyde lost their way going a bit direct needlessly.

This is the danger with sticking big Logan up top. The temptation is always going to be there to boom it up to him no matter how good he is with his feet, which showed tonight. It didn’t matter obviously because we blew Edinburgh away in the second half.

Agree also about the full backs. What a difference having talented players in their natural positions.

Connell’s long throw is going to cause a lot of bother this season too.

Just now, Brian Carrigan said:

This is the danger with sticking big Logan up top. The temptation is always going to be there to boom it up to him no matter how good he is with his feet, which showed tonight. It didn’t matter obviously because we blew Edinburgh away in the second half.

Agree also about the full backs. What a difference having talented players in their natural positions.

There was a moment in the second half when Houston ran onto a long diagonal, correctly realised the left-back was missing it, controlled it out the air, and ran forward.

In the one moment I thought "This is not the same team we've been watching".

Going up.

We said at the game that every one of our subs (GK apart) would be in the Edinburgh team. It feels good to be on the right side of things; we've had more than our fair share of lost wee boys in recent seasons. Edinburgh were absolutely dreadful and they'll firmly be planted in 10th spot in my pre-season predictions. Their defending for Dunachie's goal was some of the worst you'll ever see.

The first half we couldn't deal with any sort of long ball forward; some woeful clearances from McKay and Hamilton in particular, though the sun was clearly an issue. That gave Edinburgh a foothold up the pitch that they weren't going to get by passing through us. We were perhaps a bit lucky to get away with a couple of snap-shots from Young (we know he can strike the ball). 

The second half was completely one-sided and Edinburgh were actually lucky to only lose 5-0 in the end (e.g. missed penalty, both Scullion and Connolly falling over the ball when about to easily score etc). Connolly's thumping volley the pick of the bunch but we cut them open at will with some great football.

For me, it's easy to spend a lot of money but McCall knows what he's doing to spend it wisely. That's a squad that can beat you in more than one way. Wee tricky wingers in Redfern/Connolly, or you can go with Rennie for a totally different option out wide. The quality of corner kicks from Connell was outstanding, to add to his throw-ins. Attacking full-backs from deep. Then to top it off, he's turned Dunachie into a genuine wild-card to throw on late in games and cause havoc. 

Cuddihy MotM for me. He must be in an absolute daze looking around the changing room at the moment and seeing actual footballers.

7 minutes ago, David W said:

We said at the game that every one of our subs (GK apart) would be in the Edinburgh team. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that one. Penalty save aside, his role in Dunachie's goal was spectacular and he got extremely lucky when letting a Ray Grant effort go, only for it to go a few inches wide of the post.

Will take a few games for everyone to get  up to Match fitness but there is already many positives going into the season

1. Two proper full back who look like they can defend and go forward

2. Actually having someone that can take a threatening free kick.  That’s  3 goals in two games direct from corners.  Did we score any last season direct from a corner?

3. Look threatening from all areas of the pitch going forward with goals spread out

4. plenty of depth on the bench with players coming on not weakening the team (as for instance a Euan Cameron from last year would).  Personally think this will be important this year and expect all 5 subs to be used in every game to effectively change half the team during the course of each game.

5. Still got option of loans to bring in and sure McCall with his contacts will be able to bring in a few gems

6. Dunachie offering a genuine plan B from the bench.  Thought he played well when he went up front on Saturday and again played well when came on tonight scoring one and setting up another for Scullion who fell over from 5 yards out.  Hopefully will give him a run out in the other cup games to see if likely to be a genuine plan B if needed.

7. Having the option of someone with a long throw in gives another attacking set play option.  Thought it was McKay who was the long throw expect but maybe Connell can throw one in as well.

Edited by Bullyweeno1

9 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

as willl corner kicks

It's obviously easy to say at full time but I always expected a comfortable win as Edinburgh are that bad, it's good to actually deliver it though and in emphatic fashion in the end. Cuddihy of all people getting on the end of a few corners was surprising to read on the twitter updates. Speaking of corners it seems that we'll finally be a threat from set plays for the first time in years. Goal threat all over the pitch too rather than relying on one good striker among a team of duds delivering the lions share.

One part of me is saying having 4 players that can play CB is enough and another is saying that we look a bit short there if there's potentially going to be games McKay will be in midfield and Dunachie up front. Squad of 20 just now I wouldn't mind adding a CB and a striker from Falkirk to finish things. 

Goals just popped up on my Twitter - Lee Connelly looking like a fat little man but what a volley 

Main question is about the 5th though, who the f**k is that guy, he’s absolutely humongous. Jan Koller’esque. Jesus 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Goals just popped up on my Twitter - Lee Connelly looking like a fat little man but what a volley 

Main question is about the 5th though, who the f**k is that guy, he’s absolutely humongous. Jan Koller’esque. Jesus 

That's Dunachie, natural centre half playing up front last couple of games

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I was absolutely stunned by how small he is. He looks like a child. What made it more astounding was him being subbed on alongside big Dunachie.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Charlie said:

Is anybody having problems with their season ticket ? Got mine about 3 weeks ago but still isn't on my Ticketco app yet. Emailed the club but no answer. 

Someone asked this on Facebook. Apparently if it’s being paid in installments, the club need to load them onto TicketCo individually and will appear before the first league game. 

It's incredible how often I see smaller players described as fat.  Lee Connelly is not fat, by his showing off the bench he looks extremell fit, sharp and the quality player most thought he would be and took his goal wonderfully.  

A lot to like about last night and I feel that even without adding to what we have, this group have a few levels to go up yet.  

Edited by Glorious Purpose