Clyde FC Season 24/25

2 minutes ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Cillian Sheridan is leaving Queen's Park

So is Thomas Robson. Possibly out of our reach, but I hope we’re asking the question.

Doe anyone have any realistic shouts for forwards to be coming in? I'm struggling to think of anyone that would stand out as a 'must sign' goalscorer.

I would love Jordan Allan to come back obviously, but I'm sure he'll have options in League 1. Teams like Alloa or Stenhousemuir would be mad not to look at getting him in on loan. He could probably do a job at the very low level FT clubs like QotS or Hamilton (if they stay down).

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'll not be anywhere as critical as @19QOS19 

He joined us from Airdrie in summer of 2021 when we were in the Championship. He mainly played midfield for Airdrie but Allan Johnston signed him to play centre back and for the first half of that season he played it very well. He then got a very bad hip injury that needed surgery down in London and kept him out about 7 months. We extended his contract before sending him for surgery but he never looked as good at centre back again after returning. He did play the last few games this season at centre back again and did ok but generally this season his best outings were when used as a midfielder. I wonder which position you've signed him as? Good guy anyway, wish him well.

McKay became a bit of a scapegoat or boo-boy figure in his time at Airdrie. Some of that was due to his style being a bit languid, the socks rolled down stuff @19QOS19 mentioned, but, IMO, it was mainly due to his dad Willie McKay being heavily rumoured to be involved in the background and with signings, which whether true or not, obviously wasn’t Paul’s fault. 

Most Airdrie fans will disagree with me but I always liked him as a player. He played a few positions for us - centre mid, centre-half, right-back (probably left-back too) and he even played as a right-sided attacking mid once, against Clyde funnily enough where I’m pretty sure he scored. 

He was decent in a back 3, although I don’t think he’d have the defensive nous or strengths to play in a 2, which is maybe where it went wrong at QoS? But IMO, his best position was a #8. He carries the ball up the park pretty well and he scored a number of goals for us making late runs into the box. He also has a long-throw which became our main tactic at one point after it set up a couple of goals two games in a row. 

I think he’s probably a player who’s as good as those around him, which again was maybe part of the problem at QoS. He’s not really outstanding at anything but give him a job in a good team and he’ll carry it out competently. Put him in a bad team though and he’s not got the ability or skill-set to raise himself above everyone else or raise the standards of everyone around him. 

IMO he’d be a decent player for any upward looking League 1 team so I think he’s a good signing for Clyde. 

What was the recent update regarding a new ground btw? 

1 minute ago, airdrieman said:

He was decent in a back 3, although I don’t think he’d have the defensive nous or strengths to play in a 2, which is maybe where it went wrong at QoS? But IMO, his best position was a #8. 

You've probably hit the nail on the head there. As I said, he was fine for us near the end of the season and we were playing with a back 3 - though we did that for a while right enough. In a back 2 he wasn't as good. 

He looked at his best for us playing in front of the midfield. 

45 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

McKay became a bit of a scapegoat or boo-boy figure in his time at Airdrie. Some of that was due to his style being a bit languid, the socks rolled down stuff @19QOS19 mentioned, but, IMO, it was mainly due to his dad Willie McKay being heavily rumoured to be involved in the background and with signings, which whether true or not, obviously wasn’t Paul’s fault. 

Most Airdrie fans will disagree with me but I always liked him as a player. He played a few positions for us - centre mid, centre-half, right-back (probably left-back too) and he even played as a right-sided attacking mid once, against Clyde funnily enough where I’m pretty sure he scored. 

He was decent in a back 3, although I don’t think he’d have the defensive nous or strengths to play in a 2, which is maybe where it went wrong at QoS? But IMO, his best position was a #8. He carries the ball up the park pretty well and he scored a number of goals for us making late runs into the box. He also has a long-throw which became our main tactic at one point after it set up a couple of goals two games in a row. 

I think he’s probably a player who’s as good as those around him, which again was maybe part of the problem at QoS. He’s not really outstanding at anything but give him a job in a good team and he’ll carry it out competently. Put him in a bad team though and he’s not got the ability or skill-set to raise himself above everyone else or raise the standards of everyone around him. 

IMO he’d be a decent player for any upward looking League 1 team so I think he’s a good signing for Clyde.

The irony of being concerned about Willie McKay being involved in signings is not lost on me! Is anyone criticising the fact that nearly everyone you sign these days is provided by Jackie McNamara / Consillium or is it less of a problem when you win a lot? 😆 I doubt Willie McKay was involved but obviously don't know. He certainly never had any input at us.

I agree with your post though. He is a player who probably plays at the level of his teammates. And he's certainly better in a back three than a back four if you're going to use him as a defender. I also agree that, certainly latterly, the deep lying midfielder position was his best, though we had Cochrane and Todd who could also do that and had Mimnaugh been fit he'd have been better than all of them. So he only played that role for us as a result of injuries elsewhere. I don't think we ever used his long throw apart from maybe once or twice in his first season. We don't really do long throw routines but to the extent we ever did, Jack Brydon has an even longer one.

Anyway, I think he'll do fine at Clyde and he's a good guy to have around a squad with a sensible head on him.

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

the deep lying midfielder position was his best

It could well be that McCall sees him as the midfield sitter, given that's not really something we've had recently. Ray Grant and Ballantyne can play there, but if you're playing with a midfield three you'll really need someone to be able to break things up

33 minutes ago, Fast_Action said:

I wonder if St Mirren would let us have Lewis Jamieson on loan again?

Think he’s fairly established in their first time squad now. 

13 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

Doe anyone have any realistic shouts for forwards to be coming in? I'm struggling to think of anyone that would stand out as a 'must sign' goalscorer.

I would love Jordan Allan to come back obviously, but I'm sure he'll have options in League 1. Teams like Alloa or Stenhousemuir would be mad not to look at getting him in on loan. He could probably do a job at the very low level FT clubs like QotS or Hamilton (if they stay down).

I wondered if Makenzie Kirk would be a decent shout.  Certainly tore up the Lowland League before being allowed to head to Accies on loan.

Didn't really get a sniff with them, understandably so given that they were doing so well in L1 with (ongoing) aspirations of Championship football.

Might be worth getting on a year long deal, or at least 6 months to test the waters, as with the other positions starting to look pretty rosy all round for the club, this might be the perfect opportunity for him to excel within the SPFL environment.

2 minutes ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

I wondered if Makenzie Kirk would be a decent shout.  Certainly tore up the Lowland League before being allowed to head to Accies on loan.

Didn't really get a sniff with them, understandably so given that they were doing so well in L1 with (ongoing) aspirations of Championship football.

Might be worth getting on a year long deal, or at least 6 months to test the waters, as with the other positions starting to look pretty rosy all round for the club, this might be the perfect opportunity for him to excel within the SPFL environment.

I believe we were interested in January so could be a possibility.

I liked the shout of Innes Cameron a few weeks ago, but I can envisage him signing for a Morton or such. Maitland and McCall seem to be a lot more proactive and speculative with their recruitment than we've become accustomed to over the past five years, so I've no doubt we'll end up with a couple of strong forward options in any case. It's great to be in a position where, with two weeks until contracts expire, all we're looking for is a handful of quality players in a few key areas. 

8 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

I liked the shout of Innes Cameron a few weeks ago, but I can envisage him signing for a Morton or such. Maitland and McCall seem to be a lot more proactive and speculative with their recruitment than we've become accustomed to over the past five years, so I've no doubt we'll end up with a couple of strong forward options in any case. It's great to be in a position where, with two weeks until contracts expire, all we're looking for is a handful of quality players in a few key areas. 

any chance of Jordan Alan returning???

I'd imagine Falkirk will want to use him for the league cup groups and it would only be a loan maybe towards end of August, I would love to see us after Ruth from Dumbarton don't know what contract situation is but if we have the budget to spend, McCall is watching his performances.

Just now, Only one David Marsh said:

I'd imagine Falkirk will want to use him for the league cup groups and it would only be a loan maybe towards end of August, I would love to see us after Ruth from Dumbarton don't know what contract situation is but if we have the budget to spend, McCall is watching his performances.

I suppose stranger things have happened but I cannot see a scenario where Michael Ruth is playing League 2 football next season.

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I suppose stranger things have happened but I cannot see a scenario where Michael Ruth is playing League 2 football next season.

Would also be surprised, there must be teams even in league 1 looking especially how he showed up in the final games with Spartans. 

I would be amazed if Ruth is at Clyde or Dumbarton next season. Perhaps a question mark regarding his goalscoring, but his all round game is as good as anything at this level for some time.