Clyde FC Season 24/25

10 hours ago, John MacLean said:

Local Dennistoun resident and frequent user of Alexandra Park, and come in peace with no agenda. 

Between the pitches and the pond there is about 20 yards. There is little scope to develop a SPFL compliant ground in that space. The pond itself has significant wildlife in it. 

There's a school right next to it too. 

The blaze bit is part of the park. It was, many many years ago, tennis courts. The circus that comes to the park a couple of times a year, sets up there. It's about the size of a decent sized 5s pitch. Maybe a bit bigger. 

To create access for parking there would involve flattening a good section of the park. There's no vehicular access to that bit of the park currently. 

In the park there is currently, up by the existing sports hub, about a dozen or so parking spaces. 

I suppose theoretically a football stadium could be built in and around the site but it would require significant encroachment into the park. 

The park is a valued community asset utilised by the local community both on a formal and informal basis. 

Any development that would impact on the park would be met with significant opposition. 

Running the existing facility to expand the Clyde Foundation's charitable activities is absolutely a goer. Much like the Partick Thistle Charitable Trust are utilising Petershill Park. Anything beyond that though does not seem to be a realistic option. 

Please don't worry about losing your valued community asset John, you haven't met our Board I assume. This would be the umpteenth relocation attempt. You're as safe as houses.

15 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Surely you could've looked him up, he had a decent playing career. I knew him years ago and always found him to be a great guy. He went of the rails a bit over his ex though that fitted his nickname. As far as I knew that came from his robust playing style.

"Found him to be a great guy"

Wonder why that would be, Brother?

1 hour ago, Right turn Clyde said:

Please don't worry about losing your valued community asset John, you haven't met our Board I assume. This would be the umpteenth relocation attempt. You're as safe as houses.

FWIW, I agree with John and yourself, rtc. I would be amazed if this could be developed into anything more than a community facility. The adjacent roads are particularly busy, being main routes to Celtic Park from the motorway connections, and I don’t see planning permission being granted for a major facility within the park. This resource is also highly valued by local folk, so opposition would be very strong. Makes me wonder who is coming up with such ‘options’ for the club. This idea will consume time, money and resources that should be directed at a more realistic option.

13 hours ago, chas said:

AlexandraPark.thumb.jpg.1562395a428e8a0e414711c36d3e3ddb.jpg

I assume the pitches at the bottom right will be where the playing pitch will be, and there seems to be plenty room to put a stand  on the south side of the pitch ( might have to move a few trees!) I didn't realise we are interested in the blaze area to the north - could this become a car park? entry is limited though.

I realise that our club has greater difficulties just now, but just a bit of info!

Chas

Where’s the money for this coming from?

22 minutes ago, Glorious Purpose said:

It has been confirmed that there is sufficient room for a Silver licence level facility.  Thankfully they have asked professionals to review the area and not online commentators. 

I am quite shocked that none of the people commenting on Pie and Bovril are professionals in this field.

1 hour ago, Glorious Purpose said:

It has been confirmed that there is sufficient room for a Silver licence level facility.  Thankfully they have asked professionals to review the area and not online commentators. 

It's the getting a planning permission bit that I think looks unlikely. It would need to be capable of being built and operated without any loss of amenity to users of the path network within the park. Councillors wouldn't be able to look past a vocal objector group of existing park users. A sideline stand / terrace along the pond side would be helluva skinny to manage that. 

It is the Community Foundation that is going through the process with GCC so as well as philanthropy, other funding can be granted.  The land and facility in place would be part of an asset transfer.  Funding therafter is for stadium(likely one stand plus terraces) to go up.

It is the Community Foundation that is going through the process with GCC so as well as philanthropy, other funding can be granted.  The land and facility in place would be part of an asset transfer.  Funding therafter is for stadium(likely one stand plus terraces) to go up.

Councils are all pratted,there’s no chance they’ll give you a red cent.

Theres no chance you’ll get enough money to build a stand and a terracing as well as the groundwork and pitch without someone who’s willing to spend millions and flush it down the pan.

Clyde have no assets whatsoever and no link to the local community in Dennistoun.

Anyone can draw up plans,that the cheap bit!!

38 minutes ago, Eadie is God said:

Councils are all pratted,there’s no chance they’ll give you a red cent.

Theres no chance you’ll get enough money to build a stand and a terracing as well as the groundwork and pitch without someone who’s willing to spend millions and flush it down the pan.

Clyde have no assets whatsoever and no link to the local community in Dennistoun.

Anyone can draw up plans,that the cheap bit!!

Councils being pratted is exactly why asset transfers are happening.  They want rid of what they can if it saves them.

Obviously discussions with our relocation group will have taken place to discuss finance when required, but we better let them know people on the internet have said it can't/won't happen.

Edited by Glorious Purpose

Clyde asked GCC for assistance in sourcing a site after Crownpoint fell through and the council has been doing their best to wash their hands of much of their old leisure Glasgow Life estate post covid. I suspect the choosing of this site was heavily influenced by them as opposed to Clyde deciding this is where they really want to be. The Glasgow Life Molendinar centre on Royston Rd about a mile or two away for example was given over to a charity who run that now.

Edited by Benidorm

10 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

Clyde asked GCC for assistance in sourcing a site after Crownpoint fell through and the council has been doing their best to wash their hands of much of their old leisure Glasgow Life estate post covid. I suspect the choosing of this site was heavily influenced by them as opposed to Clyde deciding this is where they really want to be. The Glasgow Life Molendinar centre on Royston Rd about a mile or two away for example was given over to a charity who run that now.

They are transferring facilities that already exist.

You are talking about building a new one from scratch when the country has no money.

Good luck with that.

Edited by Eadie is God

6 hours ago, Glorious Purpose said:

I wasn't commentating on the suitability of the site....more the ability of our numpties to close it out.

46 minutes ago, Glorious Purpose said:

Councils being pratted is exactly why asset transfers are happening.  They want rid of what they can if it saves them.

Obviously discussions with our relocation group will have taken place to discuss finance when required, but we better let them know people on the internet have said it can't/won't happen.

Best way to judge future performance is to review past performance....not good reading.

18 minutes ago, Eadie is God said:

They are transferring facilities that already exist.

You are talking about building a new one from scratch when the country has no money.

Good luck with that.

On the surface the whole site regardless of layout looks tight to me but it's far too early to say yet, access wise it's not great for immediate parking (although if you aren't feart of the schemes there's tonnes of street parking down and around Todd St) but it's close to motorways and easily accessed by trains and buses. Until we see renderings, more detailed plans etc nobody knows what the true intention is and capability for the land will be, whether that includes existing demolition or what not. Even beyond initial hopes, there will also need to be a consultation with the club's owners and the wider community. Publicly we have no idea the state of infrastructure, utilities etc on the site. Of course finance will be a challenge, even if it's a bare bones stadium with a cage, barriers round the pitch and a couple of those pop up type stands. That's going to occur regardless where the site is, Clyde are desperate and are on about their 4th/5th go to find a home in and around the South/East of Glasgow, I don't think there is any suggestion the council will publicly finance a stadium for a football club, it'll be down to the club to access grants, fundraise and probably donations. Again you could walk to Shawfield in under half an hour from here and even less to Barrowfield where Clyde started so what constitutes a connection or not? I would say where the club wants to be is for the fans to decide not folk on Pie and Bovril looking in. 

I get the impression some people naively think that Clyde plucked this site out of thin air and done no due diligence because the club has been run so shoddily for years. Since the pandemic and the equal pay stuff the council have been actively trying to get rid of everything in site from their Glasgow Life estate that runs at a loss, including to the private sector like Lethamhill golf course which is again only a couple of miles away. Clyde are just another partner like a charity or an organisation who want to turn a golf course into a fancy floodlit destination for a profit. 

Neither Clyde FC nor the Supporters Trust meet the criteria for being a Community Transfer Body under the Act if they are looking for ownership of the land.

They might be able to do it on a 99 year lease though.

That wouldn't negate the fact that council have a legal duty to apply Best Value principles when making any such decision ie they can't put the utility to existing users to one side without compelling evidence that an alternative use would be better for GCC residents.

Which is probably why councils are not in fact punting out anything and everything under asset transfers. Glasgow have agreed 8 since the Act came into force.

They might sell it though and disposal of land regs would allow for some reduction in market value. That's what Dundee have done with a park here for their training pitches and women's team.

Best

Someone on the Internet