Rebus

Rebus. -  BBC I player

Rankine sails close to the wind with some of his murders ?

Is there a series and / or book that follows on from this ?                         What happens to Michael , and his family ?                                             Safe to assume Christie shot Lachlan (?)

Pretty good series . I have read it is supposed to be a younger version of Rebus but I am unsure whether the Outlander (?) actor pulls it off  

On 17/05/2024 at 22:56, Ludo*1 said:

Is Rebus just a shite version of Filth then, aye?

This is pish.

I thought there was some similar socio - political musings

I did think the comment about Edinburgh turning into Copenhagen with all the cyclists was hilarious 

Second series has been commissioned apparently. 

Probably be delayed by a play off heading into extra time and penalties :rolleyes:

I had a wee laugh about the geography. A whole city to explore, but the castle appears in so many shots just in case you don't know it's Edinburgh. (Wonder how he affords that flat on a DS salary...) And that's definitely not Methil, I think it's Rutherglen?

On 19/05/2024 at 14:19, King Kebab said:

Thought the boy playing Rebus was quite good and better than Ken Stott… BUT Rebus should not be bigger in stature than Big Ger Cafferty, the guy playing him was frequently the smallest guy in whichever scene he was in!!!
0BF90BD4-8317-447C-BD44-EF4B7F11D6CF.jpeg.4433824a9ad17d86cfdb3e5ea7cbb4de.jpeg

^^^This is still the definitive portrayal of Big Ger, anything else is just a lie and lazy casting!!!

433E9A65-E414-49E0-ABE8-1193835D7465.thumb.jpeg.509db68482de2ebed0b5faa4b71da2bb.jpeg

This is the guy who should have been cast as Rebus - too late now.

Dougray scott hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

I see there was a character called Andrew Rolland in the programme.  Have any other former Cowdenbeath and Dundee United footballers had their identities stolen for use in gritty Scottish crime thrillers?

It feels like a soap opera. I like the lad playing Rebus but that script is very clunky.

I know the BBC (and everyone) has to pair any make detective with a young female counterpart (especially a non-white one) but, given her ethnic appearance it seems a bit odd she'd be called Siobhan. 

Mostly, the script and the acting are poor. And aye, the soap opera-ness of focussing so much on relationships is a bit boring. I dare say I shan't survive beyond episode 1.

On 22/05/2024 at 10:04, velo army said:

Mostly, the script and the acting are poor. And aye, the soap opera-ness of focussing so much on relationships is a bit boring. I dare say I shan't survive beyond episode 1.

River City vibes for sure

Posted (edited)
On 17/05/2024 at 22:43, Ludo*1 said:

Sending in a complaint to the BBC that they delayed my watching of Rebus tonight. Almost 11pm on a Friday and still not got my fix.

They did you a favour.

I’m 20 minutes into the first episode and it’s already annoying me. They’ve tried to bring Rebus into the 2020s and it doesn’t work. Michael, his brother has gone from being reasonably well off to being something from a Ken Loach film. Rebus is really hamming it up with his I’m so Edinburgh acting.

In comparison to other shows like this on the BBC like Kin or Guilt, this isn’t doing it for me so far.

Edited by Scary Bear

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

They did you a favour.

I’m 20 minutes into the first episode and it’s already annoying me. They’ve tried to bring Rebus into the 2020s and it doesn’t work. Michael, his brother has gone from being reasonably well off to being something from a Ken Loach film. Rebus is really hamming it up with his I’m so Edinburgh acting.

In comparison to other shows like this on the BBC like Kin or Guilt, this isn’t doing it for me so far.

I'm honestly surprised there's a market for Rebus in 2024!

On 21/05/2024 at 21:48, Thane of Cawdor said:

This is the guy who should have been cast as Rebus - too late now.

Dougray scott hi-res stock photography and images - Alamy

I see there was a character called Andrew Rolland in the programme.  Have any other former Cowdenbeath and Dundee United footballers had their identities stolen for use in gritty Scottish crime thrillers?

Taggart has most of Dunfermline’s cup winning teams from the 1960s.

• 2 weeks later...

Left on BBC Scotland after the football and this ew Rebus is fucking awful.

There is nothing but plot and cameras zoomed in shots of faces. There was 2 people talking in a cafe and there must have been over 50 cuts for one scene.

There was another part where Rebus was on the phone to a woman annd she said something, then it cut to a slightly differet shot of her and then back to Rebus. I'm not expecting huge American budget style direction but honestly this worse than a soap opera.

• 2 weeks later...

I love all the Rebus books even if the last few have been disappointing and shown why he needs put out to grass. 

Haven't watched any of the series on BBC Scotland yet, they're all on my planner but would it be fair to say I'd be better not to bother and simply delete?