Next debutant in Europe?

Posted (edited)

Down the decades 21 clubs have represented Scotland in European competitions (22 if you count Clyde in Anglo-Franco-Scottish Cup). However it'll now be at least 10yrs since a new club debuted - ICT in 2015. Ross County did reach Scottish Cup Final in 2010 and won League Cup in 2016 but are playing-off for top tier status again - Hamilton only other to play top tier since 1980s.

Who will be next to make it?

County?

Hamilton?

Ayr?

QP?

Somebody else?

Edited by HibeeJibee

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Down the decades 21 clubs have represented Scotland in European competitions (22 if you count Clyde in Anglo-Franco-Scottish Cup). However it'll now be at least 10yrs since a new club debuted - ICT in 2015. Ross County did reach Scottish Cup Final in 2010 and won League Cup in 2016 but are playing-off for top tier status again - Hamilton only other to play top tier since 1980s.

Who will be next to make it?

County?

Hamilton?

Ayr?

QP?

Somebody else?

23 if you count Third Lanark in the same competition?

Edited by Jacksgranda

Posted (edited)

Here's the existing overall record, according to Wiki, which might help. By my calculations, there should be 23 clubs there if you include Clyde, as they've amalgamated two clumpanies into one.

If we're not counting Airdrieoneans v2 as another club, the most likely answer is probably one of the clubs that are new to the SPFL, or whoever finds a sugar daddy. Nobody's getting a brief European fling for winning the League Cup/losing the Scottish Cup final to Celtgers anymore. We may well not see another European debutante in our lifetimes.

image.png.517d39a6ea6cc281b1b74e2e0f1e6e29.png

Edit: 24 if Jacksgranda's right about Third Lanark.

Edited by BFTD

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Here's the existing overall record, according to Wiki, which might help. By my calculations, there should be 23 clubs there if you include Clyde, as they've amalgamated two clumpanies into one.

If we're not counting Airdrieoneans v2 as another club, the most likely answer is probably one of the clubs that are new to the SPFL, or whoever finds a sugar daddy. Nobody's getting a brief European fling for winning the League Cup/losing the Scottish Cup final to Celtgers anymore. We may well not see another European debutante in our lifetimes.

I am, if that list includes the Anglo-Franco-Scottish Cup participants. *

Intriguing to see the third farce have played slightly over half the European games the seventh best team in Scotland have...

* ETA: Which it doesn't appear to as Clyde aren't included.

Edited by Jacksgranda

8 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Intriguing to see the third farce have played slightly over half the European games the seventh best team in Scotland have...

Aye, it's just the major (whatever that means at this point) European trophies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_football_clubs_in_international_competitions

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, it's just the major (whatever that means at this point) European trophieshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_football_clubs_in_international_competitions

Obviously includes the Super Cup...

The inclusion of Inter Toto Cup participants doesn't provide any fresh blood.

Edited by Jacksgranda

35 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Rangers have done well to play 385 European games in the last 12 years tbf.

It'll be just shitey super funded experimental team that has a Gretna-esque rise from the Highland/Lowland league before it'll be Hamilton or Ayr tbh.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BFTD said:

If a team can win the League Cup, they can win the Scottish Cup, I don't think one is really any harder than the other for any half-decent full-time team.

I think it is fairly likely that Ross County end up being the next team, though of course that prospect is a bit further away today than it was yesterday. You could definitely see them either winning the Scottish Cup or sneaking a 5th place finish at some point while we have 5 places up for grabs. They finished 5th in 2012/13, for example, but there were only 4 European places available.

I am not sure I see any of the other clubs who haven't qualified for Europe being able to finish in the top 5 of the Premiership in the next, say, 25 years or so, barring some seismic change. But of course, I'm not sure many saw County or Inverness winning trophies within 20 years of joining the SFL, and definitely nobody saw Gretna coming when they were first voted into the league.

Therefore, I think a Scottish Cup win represents the only realistic chance of any club other than County doing it. I'd say it's always possible for even any top flight team or even a good Championship club to win the cup in any given season, so that's where an Accies or Airdrie could do it.

Edited by craigkillie

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If a team can win the League Cup, they can win the Scottish Cup

And if they can win the Scottish cup, they can win the lynx mark 8 helicopter, a Pacific 24 sea boat a 4 and a half inch naval gun, a Samson radar system or a type 45 destroyer and when you can win all that; you’ll be a Royal Navy engineer.

1 minute ago, RawB93 said:

And if they can win the Scottish cup, they can win the lynx mark 8 helicopter, a Pacific 24 sea boat a 4 and a half inch naval gun, a Samson radar system or a type 45 destroyer and when you can win all that; you’ll be a Royal Navy engineer.

I was born in Carntyne, but I was made in the SPFL.

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Rangers should be there twice.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Why have Hearts played so few games in Europe? Even Hibs and Dundee United have played more. They will get their numbers up next season right enough, but their win percentage will go down.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Why have Hearts played so few games in Europe?

... and despite being in groups twice, which only OF + Aberdeen have.

Only qualified once in 20yrs mid-1960s to mid-1980s, and only once in 10yrs to last season.

Only once won more than 1 tie (1988-89).

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

... and despite being in groups twice, which only OF + Aberdeen have.

Only qualified once in 20yrs mid-1960s to mid-1980s, and only once in 10yrs to last season.

Only once won more than 1 tie (1988-89).

These are remarkable stats for a club whose fans feel have always been the third force in Scottish football. Maybe they haven't been, after all.