Elgin City - 2024 onwards

4 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Very weird signing, particularly given significantly better players who also aren't local have been let go. As Scott says, he's a decent finisher but has absolutely none of the physical attributes you require to succeed at this level. Would be shocked if his time with Elgin doesn't turn out to be a 1:1 replica of his Stranraer career.

Who are the significantly better players that we have let go?

Rob Jones seemed to do a turn for yourselves (as difficult as that is to believe) and, without seeing much of him, Mitch Taylor carried a bit of a threat. I can't properly articulate just how lightweight McDonald is. He doesn't possess the pace or technical ability to mitigate that and is therefore pretty useless out wide too. If he's bulked up considerably since I last saw him play in December then perhaps he will contribute meaningfully for Elgin, but I really can't see that being the case. Although he scored a couple of goals for Edinburgh, their situation towards the end of the season was a complete anomaly that's nigh on impossible to glean any wisdom from.

What I will say is that he works hard, and given the fact he's just spent six months with Edinburgh it wouldn't surprise me if he was on peanuts. The offer of a two-year deal is very strange, however, and if he's been earmarked to replace Golding then it's not going to end well for Elgin.

Don’t think he was replacing Golding. We were crying out for a bit of width and squad depth. If we can get our midfielders and wide players to contribute 5-6 goals as someone suggested he scored for Edinburgh then we won’t have too much to complain about in that department.

To say Rob Jones is significantly better is scarcely believable and Taylor “carried a bit of a threat” , hopefully we are looking for a bit more than that and then it will be an improvement. 

As others have said, McDonald can be a tidy finisher but lacks something else that would allow him cut it at this level. He's tiny (not much he can do about that tbf), small built and not slow but not exactly rapid either. The type of guy you could see absolutely rattling them in at some level but just getting out-competed here through no fault of his own.

Seems a good guy though and has been happy to walk into two visible train wrecks (ourselves and Edinburgh) so his desire can't be criticised. Wish him well, bar the games against us obviously.

We are delighted to launch “ALLAN’S ARMY PLAYER FUND” 

Elgin City Supporters’ Club have launched Allan’s Army Player Fund – a brand new initiative to raise additional funds to help manager Allan Hale in the transfer market.

In a first at the club, we are offering fans a chance to directly enhance Allan Hale’s transfer budget for this season! 100% of ALL donations to this initiative will go directly to Allan Hale’s transfer fund as ADDITIONAL funds for his to use in the recruitment of players, these funds will be on top of what the club have already budgeted for Allan to use. 

We are offering fans two ways in which they can donate. You can donate on a one off basis, or can set up a standing order from June until May. Donations can be however large or small you feel you are able to donate.

This fund can make a real difference to the management team in their transfer dealings with a view towards this coming season. 

For more information and for the bank details to contribute to Allan’s Army Player Fund, email - supporters.club@elgincityfc.co.uk or contact us via messenger on this page.

Interesting to see the reaction to this initiative. Annan did very well from something similar.

24 minutes ago, Super Elgin City said:

We are delighted to launch “ALLAN’S ARMY PLAYER FUND” 

Elgin City Supporters’ Club have launched Allan’s Army Player Fund – a brand new initiative to raise additional funds to help manager Allan Hale in the transfer market.

In a first at the club, we are offering fans a chance to directly enhance Allan Hale’s transfer budget for this season! 100% of ALL donations to this initiative will go directly to Allan Hale’s transfer fund as ADDITIONAL funds for his to use in the recruitment of players, these funds will be on top of what the club have already budgeted for Allan to use. 

We are offering fans two ways in which they can donate. You can donate on a one off basis, or can set up a standing order from June until May. Donations can be however large or small you feel you are able to donate.

This fund can make a real difference to the management team in their transfer dealings with a view towards this coming season. 

For more information and for the bank details to contribute to Allan’s Army Player Fund, email - supporters.club@elgincityfc.co.uk or contact us via messenger on this page.

Interesting to see the reaction to this initiative. Annan did very well from something similar.

You should get Douglas Ross to chuck a few quid in, he's got 3 jobs and plenty of expenses allegedly.

4 hours ago, Beachcomber said:

You should get Douglas Ross to chuck a few quid in, he's got 3 jobs and plenty of expenses allegedly.

We don't want any dirty Forres money in our club, thank you.

39 minutes ago, 1993 said:

According to Fitba North, Ben Barron has signed a 3 year contract with Nairn.

I had such high hopes for him too but he looked miles out of his depth at the beginning of last season. Oh well.

2 hours ago, afca32 said:

Given he's 19 and was on fire for Nairn I would've liked to have seen him get another chance. Some quality up front is definitely required.

There’s a buyback clause in his contract so he may return in the future. 

I really liked what Allan Hale did with you guys last season and, on paper, that's some good business so far. I'd imagine there might be a fair few Inverness offcuts available to hoover up soon who could more than do a job in League Two. If you could tempt someone like Mark Ridgers in then that would be a coup.

12 months ago I thought you looked in a terrible state. But (at this very early stage admittedly) I'd fancy you for a playoff push. 

Not been overly convinced by Sargeant the couple of times I’ve seen him but Murray is the kind of signing that would have been beyond us previously. Happy days.