Ross County [6] : [1] Raith Rovers

11 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

The top flight is pretty much a closed shop for the smaller full time teams and has been for 30 years or more. The lack of jeapordy with only 1 automatic relegation place is a disgrace, and clubs like Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and St Johnstone have been riding the gravy train for free for decades. 

I dont see Ayr, Morton, Hamilton, QoS, Airdrie, Livingston, Raith getting promoted ever again tbh. Unless you have a miracle like Livingston 5 or 6 years ago, or a Roy McGregor type sugar daddy it's impossible to compete financially. 

Aye this is just nonsense.

Maybe the teams you’d like to see promoted just aren’t good enough?

Do folk that think this way also feel the championship should have two automatic relegation places down to league one?

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I know it’s very if your auntie had balls etc but if Dodds didn’t try to be a smart arse in the first half of the first leg against St Johnstone we’d have won that game relatively comfortably and would have ended up getting promoted.

We won the second leg 4-0, and the only reason the first leg wasn't the same was about we had Davidson shitting himself on the bench.

Even at 2-0 in the second leg he was screaming at players to sit in and try to protect the lead.

20 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

The top flight is pretty much a closed shop for the smaller full time teams and has been for 30 years or more. The lack of jeapordy with only 1 automatic relegation place is a disgrace, and clubs like Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St Mirren and St Johnstone have been riding the gravy train for free for decades. 

I dont see Ayr, Morton, Hamilton, QoS, Airdrie, Livingston, Raith getting promoted ever again tbh. Unless you have a miracle like Livingston 5 or 6 years ago, or a Roy McGregor type sugar daddy it's impossible to compete financially. 

^^^ Absolutely this.

5 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I know it’s very if your auntie had balls etc but if Dodds didn’t try to be a smart arse in the first half of the first leg against St Johnstone we’d have won that game relatively comfortably and would have ended up getting promoted.

The one you lost 6-2 on aggregate aye? That tie?

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We spent almost a decade out the top flight m8, then fought back to get promoted (when there were less potential promotion places), and are now an established top flight side.

This "ItS ImPosSibLe tO gET pRomOtED" crew seems to consist entirely of fans of clubs who can't manage it so blame it on some imaginary barrier that's impossible to overcome.

Yes It's a total mystery why all of a sudden top flight regulars like Morton, Airdrie, Raith, Ayr etc stopped being able to get promoted in the 80s and 90s. 🤔

2 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Yes It's a total mystery why all of a sudden top flight regulars like Morton, Airdrie, Raith, Ayr etc stopped being able to get promoted in the 80s and 90s. 🤔

And yet, in the last few years we've seen those massive clubs Hamilton and Livingston being promoted via the playoffs. 

Just now, Jives Miguel said:

They stopped being good enough as other teams turned full time and overtook them.

The 90s seemed to be a time where more and more clubs turned full time. They simply seem to have struggled to match new rivals and fell behind.

And yet Accies, Livingston, Dundee, Ross County, Caley Thistle, Partick Thistle and numerous others have all managed promotion and established themselves in the top league for a few years. Some winning major cups along the way.

Historically, those teams as top flight regulars… I take it you’re going back to the days of an 18 team top league?

Biggest barrier to promotion seems to be the UEFA solitary payments being paid to relegated clubs, I don't think it was long ago that was 250k but it's now up to a million. It's not a complete stop on promotion, but relegated clubs are getting promoted at first time of asking more than desirable.

1 minute ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

And yet, in the last few years we've seen those massive clubs Hamilton and Livingston being promoted via the playoffs. 

Twice in 11 seasons of the play-offs. 

Look how long they both stayed there as well BTW, that's mostly what the problem is. It's a league that's far, far too easy to stay in once you get there. 

Might look into what the average length of stay for promoted teams is in our top flight over the past few decades. Wonder how it compares to other leagues. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Yeah, this pretty much.  Also the fact that it's over 2 legs just makes it more likely for the Premiership side to show that extra quality.  

No complaints,  our big chance was to win the league - playoffs were always going to be a challenge, but that was a fair hiding we took, can't shy away from that.

Ultimately, our form in the 2nd half of the season was a decent chunk worse than the first.  Its become a bit of a trope to mention the late goals and attacking football, but both of those dried up some time ago - we ended up being a decent, hardworking Championship side with good attacking options and a poor defence.  Which showed in these 2 legs.  

Any time I saw Raith I always felt they had to core* at least 2 goals.

* "score", even

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

Might look into what the average length of stay for promoted teams is in our top flight over the past few decades. Wonder how it compares to other leagues. 

English Premier League has had the 3 that went up last season go straight back down & the 3 they replaced, 1 winning the title and a canter and the other 2 are competing in the playoff final right now.

If we expand the top flight (I don't think we should) it would be in danger of becoming the same due to the lack of competition there would be in the division below. I feel like a lot of people just think expanding the top flight would solve all the problems in Scottish Football when it would bring a whole miriad of issues on its own. 

Before any reconstruction is done at the top end, I think it needs to be done at the trapdoor first

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Coming from someone from Paisley, you’re taking the piss right? RIGHT??? 🤣🤣

Nope. I would be cringing if St Mirren fans went to a perfectly nice wee place like Dingwall and started a minter song like that too.

Maybe AC Monaco fans or someone could get away with it, should they somehow find themselves playing County.

Edited by pozbaird

County well worth their win. Rovers distant second even if they looked comfortable first 20 minutes or so. 

Not hugely surprising. Rovers over-achieved a little this season, with that first half of season beyond anything I've seen before in terms of digging out wins in 90+ minutes. No doubting they turned in the odd big performance, but overall, lacked a level of quality that's required to take the step up. 

Still they're sitting in a pretty good place, assuming they've not thrown excessive money chasing top spot this season. And can attract better players requiring bigger budget. That's as good a season as they could expect to have IMO - winning promotion next season would require back to back as-good-as-it-gets seasons. A tough ask but would be well deserved if they achieve it. 

Tough, tough league again next season. Look forward to it. 

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nope. I would be cringing if St Mirren fans went to a perfectly nice wee place like Dingwall and started a minter song like that too.

Maybe AC Monaco fans or someone could get away with it, should they somehow find themselves playing County.

Dingwall is about the size of Auchtermuchty, yea it’s quaint. Still I can’t really talk as the majority of Kirkcaldy is filled with jakey auld firm fans….sadly😢

16 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Biggest barrier to promotion seems to be the UEFA solitary payments being paid to relegated clubs, I don't think it was long ago that was 250k but it's now up to a million. It's not a complete stop on promotion, but relegated clubs are getting promoted at first time of asking more than desirable.

Yep, this is the valid argument to make. The real obstacle is that automatic promotion is getting increasingly foreclosed by top flight clubs who chuck their parachute/solidarity payments at getting back up.

The play-offs themselves are fine as they are in the SPFL: the most deserving teams have won all the way down, including East Kilbride being shut out of the 42. 

39 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Since moving to a 12 team league St Mirren, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock have all been relegated. Dundee have been relegated 4 times and they are squarely in the same bracket as the clubs you mentioned. Hibs, Hearts and Dundee United have been flushed too.

Only Motherwell, Aberdeen and Celtic have bee ever present since moving to a 12 team league.

Who is going to win the Championship next season?