General Election 2024

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

This is mental to me. Foodbank users seemingly grateful to the Tory government for setting them up instead of just letting people starve. Totally ignorant to the fact that the need for food banks at all is entirely down to Tory mismanagement of the economy. 

You'll notice that there's no mention of who they believe are responsible for their problems in life, if not the party of government for the past fourteen years.

Can't imagine the BBC didn't ask them, so I wonder why they wouldn't broadcast their answer. It will remain a perplexing mystery.

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This gets more hilarious: 

Parents could be punished if their children refuse to sign up to the Conservative’s national service programme, a minister has suggested.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/parents-could-be-prosecuted-if-children-refuse-national-service-suggests-minister_uk_6654437ee4b0f5ad55976af3

Children could evolve the ability to fly under new Conservative proposals for National Service, according to a Conservative MP, quoted as he locked up his constituency office for the final time.

"Sure, if you say so," said the representative for Little Bummington, "we can say whatever we like at this point, it doesn't matter. Maybe we could train them to shoot brown people from the white cliffs of Dover? Is that what you people want?"

Posted (edited)

Genuinely think the Tories will have announced corporal punishment, capital punishment, the abolition of abortion or bringing back burning people alive for heresy by the end of June.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Genuinely think the Tories will have announced corporal punishment, capital punishment, the abolition of abortion or bringing back burning people alive for heresy by the end of June.

Sounds fantastic to me. Good old British values. If only they could announce that  they are abolishing free education, and putting 8 year olds up chimneys and down the pits, then we could become a great nation again. 

And none of this communitu service.  24 hours in the stocks would soon straighten them out. 

And a bit of public flogging wouldn't go amiss either.

Edited by Highlandmagar

10 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

Conservatives continue to throw red meat to the boomers

I'm just reeling at the news that Alan Titchmarsh avoids No Mow May. 

Farage, the Poundland Enoch Powell, has just declared on telly that the Royal Marines should forcibly return illegal immigrants crossing the Channel to the French mainland.

Expect it to become Government policy by Tipping Point this afternoon.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Farage, the Poundland Enoch Powell, has just declared on telly that the Royal Marines should forcibly return illegal immigrants crossing the Channel to the French mainland.

Expect it to become Government policy by Tipping Point this afternoon.

Did you see that Farage has challenged Sunak to a TV debate on immigration?

4 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Did you see that Farage has challenged Sunak to a TV debate on immigration?

I wonder... would that get as high a viewership than a policy debate between the Official Monster Raving Loony Party and Lord Binface?

OMRLP ... "To make things fairer we will introduce a Court of Human Lefts."

LB ... "All government ministers' pay, including that of the mayors, should be tied to that of nurses for the next 100 years"

Could be very entertaining!

2 hours ago, Highlandmagar said:

Sounds fantastic to me. Good old British values. If only they could announce that  they are abolishing free education, and putting 8 year olds up chimneys and down the pits, then we could become a great nation again. 

And none of this communitu service.  24 hours in the stocks would soon straighten them out. 

And a bit of public flogging wouldn't go amiss either.

They should also bring back Scurvy.  Good old Blighty was more of a world power when Scurvy was a thing.  Why did they have to get rid of it?

7 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Not sure about abortion, but they can't do the others without leaving the ECHR.

I take it that's still not a vote-winner or they'd have announced it before now, rather than individually muttering darkly about it.

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Just come to a realisation that Boris Johnson, if he were still in charge, would be less batshit than Sunak is being. 

Would the Conservatives be behind in the polls if Boris Johnson was still in charge? Discuss.

I don't get the impression that he's anything like as unpopular in England as he should be.

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Would the Conservatives be behind in the polls if Boris Johnson was still in charge? Discuss.

I don't get the impression that he's anything like as unpopular in England as he should be.

Aye, you still see folk in the media reminiscing about his time in office as some kind of high point of British politics.

After the Liz Truss fiasco there were some genuinely calling for him to be given another chance. The mind boggles.

33 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I reckon it would be far, far closer in the polls if he were still in charge. 

I've heard a few times that "Boris was doing a good job" on English TV. He never cut any ice here but down south he was quite liked. 

Behind, yes. 

Quite as far behind? Don't know. He has a cult (read: c**t) following that I really can't fathom. However he was exceptionally unpopular when he was finally binned as PM. 

That said, he does appear to have more simps remaining  than Truss does, mostly because they think of 2019 and nothing else. 

Apparently Rachel Reeves as Chancellor will have policies that are both pro-business and pro-worker.  Corporation tax will alo be frozen for the life of the Parliament.  No commitment to increase personal tax allowances.

Seems to me that the room for financial flexibility is getting more restrictive every time Labour open their collective mouth.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

They should also bring back Scurvy.  Good old Blighty was more of a world power when Scurvy was a thing.  Why did they have to get rid of it?

They’re way ahead of you; 188 cases of it in 2022. Rickets and scabies back as well.

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/18/return-of-victorian-era-diseases-to-the-uk-scabies-measles-rickets-scurvy