General Election 2024

6 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

No, there are dogs that are more tech-savvy than me, and I don't have niche enough tastes in grumble to be arsed about anyone pulling that up, outside of just switching to private browsing. 

ETA - that's a thing - I've never tried hooky-streaming anything outside of football or Heat games. Somebody must have a portal to the BBC somewhere out there. 

The Opera browser has a VPN built into it that you can turn on and set to the UK. 

On 03/07/2024 at 18:46, The Other Foot said:

A group of folk at work (7 of them including myself, all from UK) only received our ballots yesterday and have been told there’s no way they will arrive in time. We’ve also been denied emergency proxies.

I never even received a ballot paper even though i live in my consistency and have done in many previous elections in the same house, thankfully I knew I could vote without one and there weren't any issues at the polling station(which i guessed hadn't changed) I would be shocked if turnout isn't well down and these sort of tactics will be a big part of that

1 hour ago, Ex Machina said:

Find it very bizarre you can stand in a constituency you don't live in. I live in South West England and the Labour and Reform candidates don't live in the area so cant even vote for themselves (although the Labour candidate has pledged to move if voted in - believe it when I see it).

Is 'address in X consistency' a new thing? I don't remember that ever being on voting papers before,  even if it is easy to manipulate.

36 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I suspect you're right.

The thing that gets me with the 'farmers' line is that this part of the world is very far from affluent these days.   I know that the Dumfries and Galloway constituency is not the same as the local government region, but of the 32 local authority areas in Scotland, D&G has the very lowest median wage of the lot - 32nd of 32.  

It's utterly inexplicable, as well as embarrassing, that we elect Tories so frequently.

Farmers voting tory is an interesting thing to me. When only land owners could vote that made alot of sense,  Once their workers did, it doesn't at all, I can only guess it legacy from believing bosses 'if you vote for them that's bad for me and ill make that bad for you' 

45 minutes ago, Cheese said:

As much as the thought of watching utter c***s like Hunt and Rees-Mogg get emptied live sounds good, I just don't think I'll bother staying up late to watch it.

Exit poll then the first oddball north east lot that race to declare first then off to bed I think.

Same for me I think. Will probably be awake at about 4.30 so will see how the lie of the land is then.

42 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

On that note, if anyone knows any YouTube channels that are doing live coverage (can't get the Beeb or iPlayer in the US) please fire them up - we're 6 hours behind and the thought of a fair number of those utter c***s making their concession speeches to lull me off to my pit is quite appealing. 

Channel 4 YouTube are simulcasting, and they aren't having any ad breaks in their coverage. 

Find it very bizarre you can stand in a constituency you don't live in. I live in South West England and the Labour and Reform candidates don't live in the area so cant even vote for themselves (although the Labour candidate has pledged to move if voted in - believe it when I see it).

Worst one I've seen is some Lib Dem jobber standing in Bradford who is from Twickenham.

IMG_20240704_205532.jpg.044e69f3b842dd341e3f5839253c2b8f.jpg

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I'm getting quetly pished waiting for Hurricane Beryl to hit the Yucatan - I might check the exit poll in a few hours.

Certainly won't be spending my evening looking at declarations.

I know a guy who’s in Jamaica just now who reckons they didn’t get slammed too hard; fingers crossed for you mate. 

Labour have sent someone from London to contest the Kirkcaldy seat. Upsetting the local party, causing one councillor to become an independent. Good bless Labour in Scotland doing exactly what it’s told to do.

ITV have Nicola Sturgeon on their panel, what are they going to ask her if the SNP lose seats?

“Do you think your arrest had a negative impact? How about the charging of your husband with embezzlement?”

Could be a bit awkward but they probably won’t ask her due to it being forthcoming in court. 

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Worst one I've seen is some Lib Dem jobber standing in Bradford who is from Twickenham.

IMG_20240704_205532.jpg.044e69f3b842dd341e3f5839253c2b8f.jpg

@Shandon Par is a Lib Dem candidate? I had him as a bit more radical

15 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Farmers voting tory is an interesting thing to me. When only land owners could vote that made alot of sense,  Once their workers did, it doesn't at all, I can only guess it legacy from believing bosses 'if you vote for them that's bad for me and ill make that bad for you' 

I think there are remnants of forelock tugging serfdom here that play a part.

The reality is though, that despite it being a largely rural area, very few are actually farmers. 

We're not always Tory either.  We had a Labour MP during the Blair years, and an SNP one just recently.  There's been lots of boundary changes, but I find it funny that when the SNP only had a handful of MPs in the 80s, one of them was in Galloway and Upper Nithsdale.  

In all those eras, the area was significantly wealthier than is now the case.  I'll be pissed off if we remain Tory tonight, but I'm kinda expecting it. 

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think there are remnants of forelock tugging serfdom here that play a part.

The reality is though, that despite it being a largely rural area, very few are actually farmers. 

We're not always Tory either.  We had a Labour MP during the Blair years, and an SNP one just recently.  There's been lots of boundary changes, but I find it funny that when the SNP only had a handful of MPs in the 80s, one of them was in Galloway and Upper Nithsdale.  

In all those eras, the area was significantly wealthier than is now the case.  I'll be pissed off if we remain Tory tonight, but I'm kinda expecting it. 

Did you get asked for the exit poll in the end?

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I suspect you're right.

The thing that gets me with the 'farmers' line is that this part of the world is very far from affluent these days.   I know that the Dumfries and Galloway constituency is not the same as the local government region, but of the 32 local authority areas in Scotland, D&G has the very lowest median wage of the lot - 32nd of 32.  

It's utterly inexplicable, as well as embarrassing, that we elect Tories so frequently.

Yip. I'm sure DnG is regarded as the poorest region in Scotland. As you say, absolutely mental that it has such a strong Tory presence.