General Election 2024

8 hours ago, Cheese said:

Off to bed now. Hopefully the the picture looks a bit better in the morning with Scotland and Reform.

Getting incredibly bad vibes.

*Narrator*

The picture did not look better in the morning.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

What did they do right? I forgot they were there. 50 MPs and what did they achieve?

It’s likely correct that they are being punished for the goings on at Holyrood. That’s tough, but that’s what happens when people see parties rather than people. I think people just wanted the Tories out and to their minds the easiest way to achieve that was voting Labour. If they can give the SNP a kicking at the same time then all the better.

Isn't that the point? 50 odd MPs is never going to move the needle for Scotland's interests in all but a very narrow range of parliamentary mathematical outcomes.

Some of the takes in this thread are wild. 

First and foremost, the vote share shows there is still support for (at the very least) “a Scottish party” (whether that’s fully direct support for the SNP, or includes a bit of nose-holding). 

Second, people are surely allowed to be dissatisfied with the SNP after everything that’s happened in the past 18 months or so. And so where are those dissatisfied voters meant to go? There’s no credible alternative pro-independence party. 

Expecting people to vote blindly for the SNP just because they’re the only “Scottish party” that stands a chance of having significant numbers at Westminster is nonsense. 

The blame for this result lies with the SNP themselves. To suggest otherwise is incredibly disingenuous. 

Just now, ScotiaNostra said:

unlucky for them

At least somebody in Inverness wins for a change amirite!?

12 minutes ago, renton said:

You'd think so, but I'm sure I saw soemthing about the far right having a bit of a toehold in the Gen Z demographic. 

I can't find the poll now, but there was one on voting intention by social media platform. Tik Tok and Facebook had the highest share for Reform, These are on opposite ends of the age spectrum in terms of users' ages. 

Tik Tok was a bit of surprise. Have younger people bucked the trend and become more racist than the generation before them? Or is it that they are used to believing everything they see on a forty second video and therefore don't question the man offering easy solutions, especially if he's pointing at text that appears on the screen showing "facts" and he also says something is a "life hack"? 

20 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

As commented before by others, Wminster SNP, who included some of the best scrutineers of Brexit and Tory madness, are being punished for the rudderless governance and campervannery of the Holyrood cohort.

But no one should think that ScoLabour have learned the lessons of 2015. They will act as entitledly as ever, and certainly won't 'influence' Sir Peter Butterworth much. He doesn't need to take any notice of Scotland now and won't. ScoLabour will keep quiet and dae whit they're telt.

I’m glad you agree that the Westminster SNP cohort largely do not deserve what has happened.

I accept campervangate is/was a disaster, and a totally avoidable one at that.

However what would have been the preference at Holyrood?  A Labour administration?  Direct rule from Westminster?  Would either of these been better than the SNP governments?

They Have definitely made mistakes but imo are still far more deserving of the vote than Labour.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The Lib Dems reckon they've won Inverness.

Worth noting that the Lib Dem candidate made a £25,000 donation to the Tories while Boris Johnson was their leader. 

5 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What did they do right? I forgot they were there. 50 MPs and what did they achieve?

It’s likely correct that they are being punished for the goings on at Holyrood. That’s tough, but that’s what happens when people see parties rather than people. I think people just wanted the Tories out and to their minds the easiest way to achieve that was voting Labour. If they can give the SNP a kicking at the same time then all the better.

You think Labour has been a more effective opposition at Westminster than the SNP?  They certainly got more coverage but for the most part have been ineffective.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Worth noting that the Lib Dem candidate made a £25,000 donation to the Tories while Boris Johnson was their leader. 

IMG_0550.thumb.jpeg.7db78ab75a65bdc151051f0aa36007fc.jpeg

1 minute ago, renton said:

Isn't that the point? 50 odd MPs is never going to move the needle for Scotland's interests in all but a very narrow range of parliamentary mathematical outcomes.

Yes, which is why we want independence.

Getting a majority of MPs used to be the goalpost the Tories had set for independence. Then they moved the goalposts.

So it’s just a case of whether 50 MPs are being ignored or 10 MPs are being ignored.

That many MPs returned should be the catalyst to another Independence Referendum. Outrageously that was ignored by the Tory government. Scotland just went ‘ah well, what can you do’.

If there’s no route to independence and no appetite for some sort of direct action - I’m not talking paramilitary action, but I wonder if there would be a Republic of Ireland without that push - then we’re stuffed.

24 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

🤣 That is fucking ludicrous.

It's no more ridiculous than the SNP taking nearly 60 seats on a vote share of 4-5% at UK level. The SNP have ruthlessly exploited FPTP for the last 15 years.

Definitely going to be an interesting couple of years leading up to Holyrood vote in 2026. Nigel Farage saying he now coming for Labour is interesting... I just can't see any way that the UK Labour party is not pulled further right given some of the numbers from down south. If that happens there are going to be a lot of dissappointed/ angry voters up here who are expecting a centre left revolution at UK level.

My feeling is relief that we got rid of the Tories but there's a big nag inside me at what we are replacing it with....

Also, the detail in the numbers shows just what can be achieved in the FPTP system. A PR system in place would be delivering a significantly different parliament this morning.

Just now, sparky88 said:

It's no more ridiculous than the SNP taking nearly 60 seats on a vote share of 4-5% at UK level. The SNP have ruthlessly exploited FPTP for the last 15 years.

Yes and I said the same thing previously.  FPTP is a fucking stupid voting system and only backwater, gimp countries use it.