General Election 2024

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Its close enough for you to know what I mean. Split hairs over the exact figure if it makes you feel better.

Well, the bit that matters is that only a minority of workers in Scotland are paying more tax than they would in England. So it's hard to see it as a big vote loser, except among people who are paying more tax (which is a minority) and wish they weren't (which is a subset that doesn't include people like me). And those people weren't exactly voting SNP in big numbers in the first place.

Just now, GordonS said:

Well, the bit that matters is that only a minority of workers in Scotland are paying more tax than they would in England. So it's hard to see it as a big vote loser, except among people who are paying more tax (which is a minority) and wish they weren't (which is a subset that doesn't include people like me). And those people weren't exactly voting SNP in big numbers in the first place.

A minority can still be a large number.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Amongst those earning below £28,000 maybe.

Is that not an enormous amount (%) of people in Scotland?

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah, but that's true in hundreds of constituencies isn't it? The 2nd and 3rd totalling more votes than 1st isn't unusual. I don't see it as particularly witless to brand us "Tories" when the constituency consistently returns a Tory MP. Don't see any point in being offended by it but each to their own.

I think I've been represented by a Tory MP for my entire life (I may have very briefly been in Russell Brown's constituency at one point, not certain). It's a traditional Conservative area.

I don't think it's fair to label an area as being anything in particular when it's supported by a small minority and a big majority are against it. It's not like parts of England where the Tories and Reform combined are getting over 60%.

1 minute ago, itzdrk said:

Is that not an enormous amount (%) of people in Scotland?

Roughly 20% of the Scottish working population fall into the 42% tax band.

4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

It’s mad the Tories still get the seats they have done. I wonder what it would take for them to lose support in place like the borders if this absolute car-crash of a government wasn’t enough?

Not have an ambulance chasing, high tax government that stokes culture wars and grievances? Unless you can deliver Nordic style public services with high rates of tax, it is just a pointless exercise and frankly terrible politics when you shaft the middle classes, i.e. those more likely to actually vote, for no benefit whatsoever compared to middle classes south of the border.

3 hours ago, mizfit said:

SNP finally running out of gas it would seem. Sturgeon was always going to be a hard act to follow, but they failed in following spectacularly.

A wake up call in time for the next election for them. Swinney needs to get it right and purge the party of clingers on.

Back to basic politics, focusing on improving the lives of the people in Scotland. They may have a chance of retaining Holyrood then.

Will he be falling on his sword, then? Swinney is part of the reason why the SNP are cooked until there is an influx of new blood that actually possess charisma.

2 hours ago, renton said:

Still the 26 Holyrood election to come.

The SNP will take another doing. It's going to take longer than two years for them to truly become a force that can throw its dick around and get another referendum. It could take a decade or longer, which at least will be a generation removed from 2014.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The unpalatable truth is that Nigel Farage is, by a distance, the most consequential politician we've had in decades.

As is always the case, the success of people like Farage and others on the continent is because of the failings of mainstream parties. Particularly how today's left or 'progressives', largely insufferable middle class types, clearly have nothing but contempt for the actual working classes and the reasons why they vote in such large numbers for parties like Reform. If mainstream parties didn't continue with the fingers in ears act, then the hard right and far-right would continue to be an utter irrelevance. Again: Denmark, that long held inspiration for what Scotland could be, seem to understand this.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Combination of farmers/fucking idiots in this region makes it the least surprising outcome of the evening. Fucking fannies 😡😡😡

And frankly lots of English people. Like most of Scotland, tbf.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Michael W said:

I can't find the poll now, but there was one on voting intention by social media platform. Tik Tok and Facebook had the highest share for Reform, These are on opposite ends of the age spectrum in terms of users' ages. 

Tik Tok was a bit of surprise. Have younger people bucked the trend and become more racist than the generation before them? Or is it that they are used to believing everything they see on a forty second video and therefore don't question the man offering easy solutions, especially if he's pointing at text that appears on the screen showing "facts" and he also says something is a "life hack"? 

Farage has a lot of followers on TikTok; I'm sure I heard it was 2-3x more than Labour and the Tories official accounts combined. Also saw some analysis in the FT that showed a clear male/female split on Reform in the younger age groups. Seems he's tapping into the disgruntled young man demographic that has seen people like Tate, Peterson etc. explode in popularity.

Edited by lanky_ffc

I'll presume yes since you've answered something else. 

You don't think for every vote their tax policy lost among that group, they won at least one more vote among the other 80% of the working population, and among the x% that are unemployed, students, iill, disabled or retired?

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Amongst those earning below £28,000 maybe.

Of course, such people are also less likely to actually cast their vote. What a surprise!

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I had no idea who he was till I just looked him up. He's from Stranraer I see though had a career in journalism.

I doubt most people who voted for him knew who he was. It's an area where a large proportion of the population will vote for a blue rosette. It's not unusual in politics is it? For the best part of three decades most of Scotland would have voted for a monkey if it had stood for parliament wearing a red rosette and for the last 15 years or so would have done the same for one in a yellow rosette. Politics is rarely about individual popularity.

My wife was appalled at him being elected, so I guess he may not have pulled many votes from his home town.

She was surprised that the SNP was second, given that they basically ignore the borders and have historically done nothing for D&G.

1 minute ago, AyrshireTon said:

My wife was appalled at him being elected, so I guess he may not have pulled many votes from his home town.

She was surprised that the SNP was second, given that they basically ignore the borders and have historically done nothing for D&G.

The people of Stranraer will vote for whoever’s name is next to the conservative and unionist party. 

3 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Farage has a lot of followers on TikTok; I'm sure I heard it was 2-3x more than Labour and the Tories official accounts combined. Also saw some analysis in the FT that showed a clear male/female split on Reform in the younger age groups. Seems he's tapping into the disgruntled young man demographic that has seen people like Tate, Peterson etc. explode in popularity.

Some clever journalist may be able to piece together his bank account being binned, a splurge of Russian bots urging the kids to vote Reform and him bigging uo Putin. 

Just now, AyrshireTon said:

Going by his bio, though born and raised in Stranraer, he only moved back there in 2019 after a long career in journalism. I'm not sure how high profile he'll be at the editor of the Wigtown Free Press but I'd be surprised if he has any significant local profile at all, certainly across the east side of the constituency where the vast majority of the votes are.

The SNP held the seat before Alistair Jack so I don't think she should be particularly surprised they remain 2nd but as I say, it's a three way marginal albeit mostly returns a Conservative.

Interesting to see that each of the Glasgow constituencies returned Labour MP's, all being swings from SNP. 

There's still time before the Holyrood elections in 2026 but these results put Nicola Sturgeon on a shaky peg should she decide to stand (I don't think she will stand)

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Going by his bio, though born and raised in Stranraer, he only moved back there in 2019 after a long career in journalism. I'm not sure how high profile he'll be at the editor of the Wigtown Free Press but I'd be surprised if he has any significant local profile at all, certainly across the east side of the constituency where the vast majority of the votes are.

The SNP held the seat before Alistair Jack so I don't think she should be particularly surprised they remain 2nd but as I say, it's a three way marginal albeit mostly returns a Conservative.

Turns out she presumed it was Alistair Jack who ran. She has actually never heard of the guy who won it. 😄