Major election gaffes 2024

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Ed Davey would've been riding about on one of the rams and taking part in a jousting competition with Willie Rennie.

That would have been epic if after the video, Ed Davey showed up on the back of one with a big, daft smile on his face while the other sheep follow him around like the pied piper

Edited by Spyro

On 18/06/2024 at 21:56, The Minertaur said:

Not a major gaffe but made me laugh none the less.

Even the sheep know not to trust him.

Well Cameron shafted a pig - obviously word spreads!

So the 2nd one is married to the campaign director, they just can't help themselves,

Tory candidate being looked into over election betting married to party's campaign directorpublished at 08:22

08:22BREAKING

b9eb2a7b-b156-46ad-b4fa-fb47dc1b0972.jpgChris Mason
Political editor

The BBC can reveal this morning that the Conservative candidate being looked into by the Gambling Commission over a bet relating to the timing of the general election is married to the party’s Director of Campaigns.

Laura Saunders, the party’s candidate in Bristol North West, has worked for the Tories since 2015.

It is not known when the bet was placed or for how much money.

She is married to Tony Lee, who is the Conservative Party’s Director of Campaigns.

Saunders has been approached for comment by the BBC and has not replied.

A Conservative Party spokesman told the BBC: “We have been contacted by the Gambling Commission about a small number of individuals. As the Gambling Commission is an independent body, it wouldn’t be proper to comment further, until any process is concluded.”

2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

So the 2nd one is married to the campaign director, they just can't help themselves,

Tory candidate being looked into over election betting married to party's campaign directorpublished at 08:22

08:22BREAKING

b9eb2a7b-b156-46ad-b4fa-fb47dc1b0972.jpgChris Mason
Political editor

The BBC can reveal this morning that the Conservative candidate being looked into by the Gambling Commission over a bet relating to the timing of the general election is married to the party’s Director of Campaigns.

Laura Saunders, the party’s candidate in Bristol North West, has worked for the Tories since 2015.

It is not known when the bet was placed or for how much money.

She is married to Tony Lee, who is the Conservative Party’s Director of Campaigns.

Saunders has been approached for comment by the BBC and has not replied.

A Conservative Party spokesman told the BBC: “We have been contacted by the Gambling Commission about a small number of individuals. As the Gambling Commission is an independent body, it wouldn’t be proper to comment further, until any process is concluded.”

This is hilarious. It's impressive how badly they continue to mess things up. Like the Granpa Simpson meme with the trousers falling down.

See the husband, and campaign Director, has now taken medical leave. Probably help them judging by their campaign so far. How can it get any worse...

36 minutes ago, Beans on Toast said:

This is hilarious. It's impressive how badly they continue to mess things up. Like the Granpa Simpson meme with the trousers falling down.

See the husband, and campaign Director, has now taken medical leave. Probably help them judging by their campaign so far. How can it get any worse...

Probably because the Gambling Commission looking at him too 😂😂😂

Tory director of campaigning being looked into over election betpublished at 11:01

11:01BREAKING

Chris Mason and Laura Kuenssberg

The BBC can reveal that the Conservative Party’s director of campaigning Tony Lee is also being looked into by the Gambling Commission over an alleged bet relating to the timing of the general election.

The BBC reported earlier this morning that Lee – who, we understand, took a leave of absence from his job yesterday afternoon – is married to the Conservative candidate who is also being looked into by the betting industry regulator.

Laura Saunders, the party’s candidate in Bristol North West has worked for the Tories since 2015.

27 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Probably because the Gambling Commission looking at him too 😂😂😂

Tory director of campaigning being looked into over election betpublished at 11:01

11:01BREAKING

Chris Mason and Laura Kuenssberg

The BBC can reveal that the Conservative Party’s director of campaigning Tony Lee is also being looked into by the Gambling Commission over an alleged bet relating to the timing of the general election.

The BBC reported earlier this morning that Lee – who, we understand, took a leave of absence from his job yesterday afternoon – is married to the Conservative candidate who is also being looked into by the betting industry regulator.

Laura Saunders, the party’s candidate in Bristol North West has worked for the Tories since 2015.

I said a whole one hour ago how can it get any worse and the Tories once again deliver. Fantastic stuff.

I noticed there's a copper in trouble for betting on the date of the election after (probably) overhearing it being discussed in Downing Street.

Again, I'm not seeing this as a massive scandal. It's utterly stupid, considering at least one of them didn't need the money and probably thought it was a laugh, but I find it hard to feel sorry for bookies getting stiffed considering the nature of their game. Can't help feeling that I'm missing something here.

Just now, BFTD said:

I noticed there's a copper in trouble for betting on the date of the election after (probably) overhearing it being discussed in Downing Street.

Again, I'm not seeing this as a massive scandal. It's utterly stupid, considering at least one of them didn't need the money and probably thought it was a laugh, but I find it hard to feel sorry for bookies getting stiffed considering the nature of their game. Can't help feeling that I'm missing something here.

I don't care about the bookies in the slightest. The issue for me is they've used insider information to place bets, which I believe is illegal, or best morally questionable (from a Tory, I know?!). And these are people that are standing to be members of Parliament. 

20 years ago I think this would have been a major scandle. With the tories behaviour of the last few years especially this barely touches the sides. Hardly checking your eyesight by taking the family out for a drive, or lying to Parliament, or awarding mates billion dollar contracts, or having parties during lockdowns etc, etc, etc.

5 minutes ago, Beans on Toast said:

I don't care about the bookies in the slightest. The issue for me is they've used insider information to place bets, which I believe is illegal, or best morally questionable (from a Tory, I know?!). And these are people that are standing to be members of Parliament. 

20 years ago I think this would have been a major scandle. With the tories behaviour of the last few years especially this barely touches the sides. Hardly checking your eyesight by taking the family out for a drive, or lying to Parliament, or awarding mates billion dollar contracts, or having parties during lockdowns etc, etc, etc.

Yeah, this is small beans (on toast) compared to the normal activities of MPs.

The idea of it being illegal to use inside information to place bets is bizarre to me, considering that's exactly how the bookmakers calculate their odds. My only issue is that they didn't tell anyone who could've actually used the money (because Tories, presumably).

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Yeah, this is small beans (on toast) compared to the normal activities of MPs.

The idea of it being illegal to use inside information to place bets is bizarre to me, considering that's exactly how the bookmakers calculate their odds. My only issue is that they didn't tell anyone who could've actually used the money (because Tories, presumably).

A quite excellent opening line there. Bravo sir.

And the rest of your post is a fair point I suppose, I've no sympathy with the bookies. To me it's more that whether they agree with it, or it really makes much sense, it is the law (I think) and they've broken this, knowing they shouldn't. The fact there is no need for them to do this other than to make a little bit more "free" money just increases the bad optics.

Setting aside the fact that they were all sticking bets on the election, it's incredible that, as the party of record debt and taxation levels, they've had the brass neck to bring up debt and tax at this election.

Worryingly, it works on some folk. My father's currently panicking about the evil communist Starmer taking away his savings.

9 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Setting aside the fact that they were all sticking bets on the election, it's incredible that, as the party of record debt and taxation levels, they've had the brass neck to bring up debt and tax at this election.

Worryingly, it works on some folk. My father's currently panicking about the evil communist Starmer taking away his savings.

If your father thinks Starmer is a communist he shouldn’t be in charge of his own money.

Send it to me.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If your father thinks Starmer is a communist he shouldn’t be in charge of his own money.

Send it to me.

I've noticed. I'm just thankful he's not on the internet.

Get an advert printed in the Daily Mail for a "little-known Great British scheme" to "save your money from Labour" and he'll likely send it to you himself.

Just now, BFTD said:

I've noticed. I'm just thankful he's not on the internet.

Get an advert printed in the Daily Mail for a "little-known Great British scheme" to "save your money from Labour" and he'll likely send it to you himself.

I’m way ahead of you…