Major election gaffes 2024

On 26/05/2024 at 14:32, BFTD said:

A lot of Scottish Labour have been mentally broken by losing support to the SNP, and can't think beyond getting "revenge". The older ones still hate them for supporting the vote of no confidence in 1979 (because things were just going so well). Some were delighted that the SNP lost seats to the Tories in 2017, which certainly says...something.

So you get this weird situation where, in an election about Labour hopefully replacing a Conservative Party that's drifting ever towards fascism, some Scottish Labour people are still only interested in talking about the SNP. It probably doesn't help that, having switched positions on virtually everything over the past few years, the head office are going to be elected with a set of aims that have been written as vaguely as possible.

They must be a right age now, 66 years old, minimum

6 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

63 Shirley?

I was taking them to be 21 if they were Labour activists, who took the 1979 vote of confidence to heart, 18 year olds aren't usually too immersed in politics.

May be a bank holiday but the gaffes stop for no one. Today we’ve had:

- Former Brexit ERG hard man turned Northern Ireland Secretary Steve Baker openly criticising the national service policy and then proceeding to jet off on a family holiday to Greece instead of staying at home to campaign in his marginal seat of Wycombe.

- Retiring Tory MP Lucy Allan announces she is backing the reform candidate in her own seat and has been fired from the party as a result:

- Tories are resorting to referring to Starmer as “sleepy Keir” trying to replicate Trump style language.

Noticeable lack of Lib Dem gaffes on this thread. Any sign of Willie Rennie going down the slides in a soft play area or Ed Davey using a giant hammer to hit a blue wall or Alex Cole-Hamilton turning up to the opening of a packet of crisps yet? 

Imagine there was a Prime Minister or leading politician who was absolutely brilliant at football.  It'd just be a bit odd wouldn't it?

1 hour ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

It would be rank hypocrisy for me to slag him for that.

However, I'm not stupid enough to decide to impress the public in front of cameras after thirty years have passed since I played a game.

1 minute ago, JS_FFC said:

Noticeable lack of Lib Dem gaffes on this thread. Any sign of Willie Rennie going down the slides in a soft play area or Ed Davey using a giant hammer to hit a blue wall or Alex Cole-Hamilton turning up to the opening of a packet of crisps yet? 

I'm astonished the Lib Dems are projected to win seats. Who's even aware of anything they're doing? I presume they must get a lot more press Darn Sarf.

It's just not an election without Willie Rennie doing something daft, but.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Imagine there was a Prime Minister or leading politician who was absolutely brilliant at football.  It'd just be a bit odd wouldn't it?

There's been plenty of footballer politicians in other countries, Andriy Shevchenko comes to mind. 

10 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

There's no demographic group in the country in more of a bubble than people over 65. The young get a far wider range of information than old people, who seem to get most of their information from Facebook and wildly biased newspapers. 

28 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

There's been plenty of footballer politicians in other countries, Andriy Shevchenko comes to mind. 

George Weah went on to be President of Liberia.

36 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It would be rank hypocrisy for me to slag him for that.

However, I'm not stupid enough to decide to impress the public in front of cameras after thirty years have passed since I played a game.

I'm astonished the Lib Dems are projected to win seats. Who's even aware of anything they're doing? I presume they must get a lot more press Darn Sarf.

It's just not an election without Willie Rennie doing something daft, but.

Fair play to them for actually going with the "Say nothing and let the rest of them make a c**t of it" approach

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was taking them to be 21 if they were Labour activists, who took the 1979 vote of confidence to heart, 18 year olds aren't usually too immersed in politics.

IMG_2125.gif.3ab336acd3c12c19061f320c5612b4bc.gif