League Cup Group H - Ross County, Raith Rovers, Hamilton, Stirling & Stranraer

Worst draw ever. With two groups to go, I was hoping for the group with Motherwell and Partick as it's been ages since we've played them. 

But no. 

Only solace will be if the County and Rovers games are away on the Saturdays, at least get a half decent day out. 

3 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Posting this, although such an exciting draw that this might be the first P&B post with zero responses. 

Have a response. I can only make the first and last fixtures. Wonder who that’ll be.

Lightening can easily strike twice!
Wasn't it thirty years ago in August when we were away to Ross County in this competition? The rest is, of course, history!😊

Ross County - A nice away trip and been a number of years since we had a Saturday in Dingwall but, a cost the club could do without. 
Previous years it’s been top seeds away to bottom first which would see us play each other at Stair Park. 
Not great for either club, poor crowd expected. 

Raith Rovers - Like the rest of the teams, there are others I’d have preferred but a while since we met each other so not too bad. 

Hamilton - We’ve to visit there twice to play Clyde this season so no excitement there. 
A repeat of the result the last time we met in this competition wouldn’t go a miss though. 

Stirling - Playing each other four times this season wasn’t going to be enough. 

I don’t mind the format of the competition as there is money to be made with the right draw. 
Unfortunately the draw has never been that kind to us. 
Our record also stinks. 

No big travelling support to bring in money and unlikely to qualify, not the best draw. Will be a good idea of where we rate against top of Championship and bottom of Premier however. 

GROUP H

Saturday July 13
Stirling Albion v Raith Rovers (3.00pm)
Stranraer v Ross County (3.00pm)

Tuesday July 16
Hamilton Academical v Stirling Albion (7.45pm)
Raith Rovers v Stranraer (7.45pm)

Saturday July 20
Ross County v Raith Rovers (3.00pm)
Stranraer v Hamilton Academical (3.00pm)

Tuesday July 23 
Hamilton Academical v Ross County (7.45pm)
Stirling Albion v Stranraer (7.45pm)

Saturday July 27
Raith Rovers v Hamilton Academical (3.00pm)
Ross County v Stirling Albion (3.00pm). 

Format                                            
Three points for a win and one point for a draw. Drawn matches in the group stage go straight to a penalty shoot-out, with the winners awarded a bonus point.

Dates for future rounds                                        
Second round - Weekend of August 17/18
Quarter-finals - Weekend of September 21/22     
Semi-finals - Weekend of November 2/3 
Final - Sunday December 15

Stirling away is local for me so pretty chuffed with that.  Pop down to New Williamfield to watch the cricket for a couple of hours first then walk over to Forthbank.  Sounds like a pretty decent day out.  Worth pointing out for Rovers fans making the trip that the cricket club is probably the best place for a beer before the game.  There will be games on both pitches too so you even get some pre-match entertainment (well if you don't mind watching cricket of course).

On 30/05/2024 at 21:13, Accie1 said:

No big travelling support to bring in money and unlikely to qualify, not the best draw. Will be a good idea of where we rate against top of Championship and bottom of Premier however. 

Meh, the gates being split 60/40 would mean it would have probably took us getting one of Aberdeen, Hibs or Motherwell for it to be worthwhile in gate money anyway.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic that we could be pushing for second place and then you’re just hoping we’ve got a good enough record to be one the best three this time.

Looking forward to a trip to Stranraer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 05/06/2024 at 10:17, AllanJM said:

Stirling away is local for me so pretty chuffed with that.  Pop down to New Williamfield to watch the cricket for a couple of hours first then walk over to Forthbank.  Sounds like a pretty decent day out.  Worth pointing out for Rovers fans making the trip that the cricket club is probably the best place for a beer before the game.  There will be games on both pitches too so you even get some pre-match entertainment (well if you don't mind watching cricket of course).

Hoping to get through for this one, if I do make it I'll be popping into the cricket club for a pint before the game, might give the cricket action a miss tho'

Stirling v Rovers this Saturday. I’m still in the Euros zone. Can I be fucked driving through to Stirling for a game or will I wait for the delights of Airdrie in August? I’ll see how I feel on Saturday morning.

All Ross County’s group matches will be available to stream on the Premier Sports player for anyone that can’t get to the games.

On 08/07/2024 at 14:30, keyser_soze said:

Hoping to get through for this one, if I do make it I'll be popping into the cricket club for a pint before the game, might give the cricket action a miss tho'

Best to check with club that bar is open. Sometimes closed due to private function. Super facility otherwise.

13 hours ago, Dumb yatt said:

Best to check with club that bar is open. Sometimes closed due to private function. Super facility otherwise.

The 2nd and 3rd team are both at home this Saturday so the club will definitely be open.  I know a few of them so will message them to make sure (and to let them know to expect a few Rovers fans in).

Really looking forward to getting back to competitive football and it's a bonus that we're playing at the closest stadium to my house.

Hopefully a big increase in the intensity from the friendlies (which would be normal to be fair) will see us look a bit more dangerous up top.  Would love to see Hamilton get a goal to get him going too as there's definitely a player in there if he gets his confidence back.

Not sure how many County fans will actually make the trip - particularly with Premier Sports streaming the match - but just to let you know that our Pavilion Bar at Stair Park will be open from 1pm.

23 hours ago, AllanJM said:

The 2nd and 3rd team are both at home this Saturday so the club will definitely be open.  I know a few of them so will message them to make sure (and to let them know to expect a few Rovers fans in).

Really looking forward to getting back to competitive football and it's a bonus that we're playing at the closest stadium to my house.

Hopefully a big increase in the intensity from the friendlies (which would be normal to be fair) will see us look a bit more dangerous up top.  Would love to see Hamilton get a goal to get him going too as there's definitely a player in there if he gets his confidence back.

Confirmed via twitter that the bar at Stirling County CC will indeed be open from 12:30 on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, AllanJM said:

Confirmed via twitter that the bar at Stirling County CC will indeed be open from 12:30 on Saturday. 

Ticket bought, I had a couple of beers at the CC last time we were at Forthbank