League Cup Group A - Dandies, Diamonds, Doonhamers, Sons & EK

34 minutes ago, Houston said:

When we sold tickets for the Ayr and Edinburgh City friendlies there was no home and away split.

Normally tickets are just general sale at EK, I’ve only ever seen home and away offered when there's segregation in place.  

Still, I’m sure there’d be no issue if some Queens fans bought ‘home’ tickets so they can get a seat.

Fair enough. You'll know better than I. Probably is segregated then.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Can anyone remember when going to a football match was a simple, straight forward thing?

Our game against Dumbarton on Saturday was a bit of a blast from the past where it was walk-up cash entry only.

13 hours ago, Houston said:

... Still, I’m sure there’d be no issue if some Queens fans bought ‘home’ tickets so they can get a seat.

Doh ... I've already bought my "away" tickets.

Can anyone remember when going to a football match was a simple, straight forward thing?

Yep ... Terregles St terrace first half, then Portland Rd terrace second half to make some noise, plus a bit of "banter" with away fans behind the Coo Shed at half time swapping ends.  Happy daze ...

Aye, a last minute decision to go to Glasgow by train to watch the  Dons at Firhill (8 o'clock in the morning last minute decision!) probably couldn't happen now.

Even cup finals were (mostly) pay at the gate. Particularly if you were non OF.

20 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Aye, a last minute decision to go to Glasgow by train to watch the  Dons at Firhill (8 o'clock in the morning last minute decision!) probably couldn't happen now.

Even cup finals were (mostly) pay at the gate. Particularly if you were non OF.

Might be different for Aberdeen's away games I suppose but at pretty much every lower division ground you can buy a tickets or pay cash at a turnstile right up to kick off and a few minutes beyond. Even those that insist on online purchasing will still sell you a ticket at 3pm (or whatever kick off time actually is).

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Might be different for Aberdeen's away games I suppose but at pretty much every lower division ground you can buy a tickets or pay cash at a turnstile right up to kick off and a few minutes beyond. Even those that insist on online purchasing will still sell you a ticket at 3pm (or whatever kick off time actually is).

I was more posting that going to a football match years ago could be more of a spur of the moment decision as you were practically guaranteed entry if you had the requisite entrance fee in cash, the only tickets floating about in those days were season tickets.

I haven't been at a match in Scotland since my father died (2008) but even then I just travelled down to Aberdeen by train and paid at the gate.

All this booking on line, printing tickets off, using an app just seems to make it overly complicated. Probably a generational thing.

6 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was more posting that going to a football match years ago could be more of a spur of the moment decision as you were practically guaranteed entry if you had the requisite entrance fee in cash, the only tickets floating about in those days were season tickets.

I haven't been at a match in Scotland since my father died (2008) but even then I just travelled down to Aberdeen by train and paid at the gate.

All this booking on line, printing tickets off, using an app just seems to make it overly complicated. Probably a generational thing.

No question its a mainly a generational thing, but I sometimes think the clubs are losing out on customers who can't, or decide not to, use t' internet to do business. OK selling on line tickets up to kick-off but should always be a facility for just turning up with legal tender and getting in. 

3 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

No question its a mainly a generational thing, but I sometimes think the clubs are losing out on customers who can't, or decide not to, use t' internet to do business. OK selling on line tickets up to kick-off but should always be a facility for just turning up with legal tender and getting in. 

Whenever I was visiting my parents and both Elgin City and the Dons were away I just looked at the Northern Scot to see which of Lossie, Forres or Nairn were at home and went there.

40 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

It's still a spur of the moment decision at anything but the busiest of grounds (which was also the case 'years ago'). You're still guaranteed entry. What's changed in some (but not all) cases is the payment method.

It's definitely a generational thing. I'm 54 and still pay cash at the bar when in the pub or over the counter when buying my lunch but I'll happily book tickets etc online and not bat an eyelid. For many of today's 20 somethings and younger though they don't ever carry cash and they don't even use cards. They wave their phone at things.

27 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Again, outside the Premier at least, I can only think of Arbroath who physically won't take cash at all. Prepared to be proven wrong but most of the others still have a cash gate or a ticket office that will sell in cash. Most of them discourage away fans from doing so (as we do) but they'll take it ultimately rather than turn it away.

Whether we like it or not though, the move away from cash and towards e-payment isn't going away.

22 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Whenever I was visiting my parents and both Elgin City and the Dons were away I just looked at the Northern Scot to see which of Lossie, Forres or Nairn were at home and went there.

And you still can.

Pain in the arse that we need to pick up our tickets for the Aberdeen game at our club shop - my family are all in Edinburgh, so my brother's going through to get them today.  Why we can't just buy tickets online in the year 2024 is beyond me.

23 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Pain in the arse that we need to pick up our tickets for the Aberdeen game at our club shop - my family are all in Edinburgh, so my brother's going through to get them today.  Why we can't just buy tickets online in the year 2024 is beyond me.

see if I'd have known that, I stay literally round the corner from the stadium, I'd a grabbed them and met you up there. Don't be stuck again 👍

Posted (edited)

Yep, us Luddites can bump oor gums (should we be sadly lacking in the dental department that is ...) as much as we want, but the fact is that the digital world is here to stay and isn't going to go backwards.  Eventually, cash will disappear (perhaps not in the near future) but disappear it ultimately will.

Edit - my two lads look at cash as some kind of strange object that should be in a museum ...

2nd Edit - there again, my lads also look at me as a strange object that should be in a museum, aye?

Edited by Otis Blue

On 21/07/2024 at 09:34, Fae_the_'briggs said:

What's East Kilbride's ground like spectator wise, plenty of cover, plenty of seating? I dinnae really mind the standing but dinnae fancy travelling up on Tuesday if it's wet and I've got to stand out in the open, the old bones couldnae take it.

It seems East Kilbride has invested in developing the grounds. The away end, which has its own entrance, is covered and has several steps for a good view of the game, although there are no seats.

Another positive is the East Kilbride Sports Club, which offers cheap drinks and is only a 2-minute walk from the stadium.

A fantastic day out!

10 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Most Premiership away fixtures for us are all ticket with no cash (or card) gate. Bizarrely, most clubs persist solely with physical tickets even though pretty much every club implemented some form of e-ticket during covid. I like having a physical ticket as a souvenir but it means that for a Saturday game, you have to make your mind up by Wednesday at home he latest for postage or collect from Pittodrie. 

4 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Most Premiership away fixtures for us are all ticket with no cash (or card) gate. Bizarrely, most clubs persist solely with physical tickets even though pretty much every club implemented some form of e-ticket during covid. 

Thats because Aberdeen insist on it so they can determine who gets allocated tickets. They wouldnt let us sell e-tickets direct to Aberdeen fans last week. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Online sales are so much easier than either the needing to physically buy a ticket or having to plan taking money out and stand in queues whilst someone had to juggle change and work out how much they need to give back, with a not unrealistic chance you'd need to wait on a runner returning to your turnstile with a change bag.

Had a watch of the AB podcast that Rhys featured on. Sounds from most of the Aberdeen contributors that they view us as a bit of a diddy side and are expecting to run up a decent score. 

Here's hoping their new management make the same assumption.

23 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Had a watch of the AB podcast that Rhys featured on. Sounds from most of the Aberdeen contributors that they view us as a bit of a diddy side and are expecting to run up a decent score. 

Here's hoping their new management make the same assumption.

I thought it was very mixed tbh. I think the host was pretty good and he was very complimentary about Rhys and the way Airdrie play football. There's a few comments from Aberdeen fans who were like 'yeah we are going to win 5-0' etc but a good few of the contributors think it'll be a decent game to see where they are at. Aberdeen will be massive favourites so understand why they are confident and it's basically a free hit for us.

He's hoping for another 'Super Tuesday' from us tonight and we can cause an upset.