2024/25 - The season where marks are made

SSFL League Cup

Dalbeattie Star v Nithsdale Wanderers
Mid Annandale v St Cuthbert Wanderers
Wigtown & Bladnoch v Abbey Vale
Lochmaben v Lochar Thistle

Creetown, Upper Annandale, Stranraer & Newton Stewart received byes to Round Two.

SCFA Challenge Cup sponsored by Utility Hut Ltd

Newton Stewart v Lochmaben
Mid Annandale v Creetown
Nithsdale Wanderers v Wigtown & Bladnoch
Gretna 2008 v Queen of the South
St Cuthbert Wanderers v Caledonian Braves
Dalbeattie Star v Lochar Thistle
Abbey Vale v Upper Annandale
Threave Rovers v Stranraer

SCFA J Haig Gordon Memorial Trophy sponsored by JB Scaffolding Ltd
Lochar Thistle v Stranraer
Abbey Vale v St Cuthbert Wanderers
Lochmaben v Wigtown & Bladnoch
Threave Rovers v Nithsdale Wanderers
Newton Stewart v Caledonian Braves
Creetown v Mid Annandale

Upper Annandale & Dalbeattie Star received byes to Round Two.

SCFA Alba Cup sponsored by Utility Hut Ltd
Abbey Vale v Lochar Thistle
Upper Annandale v Mid Annandale

Nithsdale Wanderers & Lochmaben received byes to Round Two.

WDFA Tweedie Cup sponsored by B Herries Flooring
Lochar Thistle v Mid Annandale
Caledonian Braves v St Cuthbert Wanderers
Stranraer v Lochmaben
Upper Annandale v Nithsdale Wanderers
Dalbeattie Star v Newton Stewart

Wigtown & Bladnoch, Creetown & Abbey Vale received byes to Round Two.

• 1 month later...

Right that's the wee kickabouts finished with and we can look forward to the real thing on Saturday 27th August.

FB_IMG_1721668673158.thumb.jpg.66d864624a681e79c95e53ec6f150280.jpg

Do like the new graphics and the new website looks an upgrade.

Looking at opening day fixtures:

Vale v Uppers: Vale need to show they are still up there with the top clubs. Uppers might feel this is an opportunity to sneak a wee shock. 

Lochar v Wigtown&B: Lochar will be expecting a comfortable win against the club who appear to be the league's whipping boys for this season.

Saints v Lochmaben: Both clubs seem to be in a downward spiral. An opportunity to get off to a winning start and get some confidence before bigger tests.

Star v Newton: Star will want to show they are still the team to beat. NS will be keen to show they are a team still moving upwards.

Nithsdale v Creetown: Nithsdale fell away after a good start last season. Need to show they can compete. Creetown will want to show they are still contenders for the title with a positive start.

Reserves v Mids: Reserves, after finishing top half will be looking to start with a good win. Mids will be content to be competitive at this stage.

If anyone attends any game please try and drop a few lines on here to keep the thread ticking over. Nothing elaborate just a few lines about the game would be great.

As usual I will be travelling around the league. Need to try and get up to Sanquhar, Moffat and over to Stranraer at some point.

Please enjoy your South Football fix and ignore the haters.

10 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Right that's the wee kickabouts finished with and we can look forward to the real thing on Saturday 27th August.

FB_IMG_1721668673158.thumb.jpg.66d864624a681e79c95e53ec6f150280.jpg

Do like the new graphics and the new website looks an upgrade.

Looking at opening day fixtures:

Vale v Uppers: Vale need to show they are still up there with the top clubs. Uppers might feel this is an opportunity to sneak a wee shock. 

Lochar v Wigtown&B: Lochar will be expecting a comfortable win against the club who appear to be the league's whipping boys for this season.

Saints v Lochmaben: Both clubs seem to be in a downward spiral. An opportunity to get off to a winning start and get some confidence before bigger tests.

Star v Newton: Star will want to show they are still the team to beat. NS will be keen to show they are a team still moving upwards.

Nithsdale v Creetown: Nithsdale fell away after a good start last season. Need to show they can compete. Creetown will want to show they are still contenders for the title with a positive start.

Reserves v Mids: Reserves, after finishing top half will be looking to start with a good win. Mids will be content to be competitive at this stage.

If anyone attends any game please try and drop a few lines on here to keep the thread ticking over. Nothing elaborate just a few lines about the game would be great.

As usual I will be travelling around the league. Need to try and get up to Sanquhar, Moffat and over to Stranraer at some point.

Please enjoy your South Football fix and ignore the haters.

Where is the Lochar game to be played ?

19 minutes ago, annan4eva said:

Where is the Lochar game to be played ?

Lochar play at Wilson Park, Tinwald Downs Road in Heathhall. Pitch is located past the Lloyd warehouse on the left behind a hedge row.

During winter months they play a number of games at the NWCC behind McDonald's.

4 hours ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

Lochar play at Wilson Park, Tinwald Downs Road in Heathhall. Pitch is located past the Lloyd warehouse on the left behind a hedge row.

During winter months they play a number of games at the NWCC behind McDonald's.

Thanks thats why i asked as i know not always there 

I was going to come on here and mention the SOS website being unavailable, but I went on their Facebook where they posted for the first time since May recently and I see they've changed to a different website platform: https://sosfl.leaguerepublic.com/index.html (but not bothered to sort the redirect for their .co.uk domain).

Edited by Ginaro

4 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I was going to come on here and mention the SOS website being unavailable, but I went on their Facebook where they posted for the first time since May recently and I see they've changed to a different website platform: https://sosfl.leaguerepublic.com/index.html (but not bothered to sort the redirect for their .co.uk domain).

We do things differently down here. Social media is still treated suspiciously. Word of mouth is much more reliable for up to date local news.

3 hours ago, Sermani said:

Looking at what fixtures that are published, have Uppers decanted Moffat and playing there home games in Lockerbie now?

All of their pre-season fixtures were down in Lockerbie. Remember they finished season playing home games 'away'. Dont know anyone involved with the club to comment. They always have issues getting game time at the Academy.

This is a Facebook post from Feb this year;

FB_IMG_1722004570593.jpg.bafcba96168fdd61b023137fc6ef8af2.jpg

⚫⚪️ Upper Annandale FC begin CAT process to secure a permanent home ⚫⚪

We are proud to announce that the club has begun the process of a community asset transfer for Annanside Playing Fields. Since 2016, the club has been without a ground they can call home. The club is looking to secure its long term future in the town with a permanent home for its youth section and senior team. We are of course open to any suggestions/ideas you may have for Annanside and look forward to engaging with the community in Moffat in the coming weeks & months. ⚽

We will be at the next Community Council meeting on the 27th if you wish to speak to us in person. 

🖤🤍

Nothing posted since as far as I can recall. Not great for the club trying to be a part of Moffat playing doon the road in Lockerbie. Hopefully get is sorted ASAP.  Used to live up near Kirkintilloch and knew folk at Rob Roy; they are returning to the town after an eternity playing at Cumbernauld United. Got it in my head they left Adamslie in 2014. 

Would Uppers survive 10 years as a nomadic club.

16 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

All of their pre-season fixtures were down in Lockerbie. Remember they finished season playing home games 'away'. Dont know anyone involved with the club to comment. They always have issues getting game time at the Academy.

We are proud to announce that the club has begun the process of a community asset transfer for Annanside Playing Fields. Since 2016, the club has been without a ground they can call home. The club is looking to secure its long term future in the town with a permanent home for its youth section and senior team. We are of course open to any suggestions/ideas you may have for Annanside and look forward to engaging with the community in Moffat in the coming weeks & months. ⚽

We will be at the next Community Council meeting on the 27th if you wish to speak to us in person. 

🖤🤍

Nothing posted since as far as I can recall. Not great for the club trying to be a part of Moffat playing doon the road in Lockerbie. Hopefully get is sorted ASAP.  Used to live up near Kirkintilloch and knew folk at Rob Roy; they are returning to the town after an eternity playing at Cumbernauld United. Got it in my head they left Adamslie in 2014. 

This Lockerbie thing is an ongoing pain in the arse - I attended more Uppers games before I moved down here! Annanside is reputed to flood a lot, but I haven't seen that myself in the last few years, the water table has yet to recover from the two hot summers of 20 and 21, and the Annan looks pretty low even after days of heavy rain; so I really don't think it's an issue. Not being on Facebook, and tending to avoid CC meetings as they're balloon magnets (generally of the anti-windfarm variety), I am very much not in the loop; so there may have been progress in the last few months.

While the Academy may be a terrible place to watch football, the pitch usually looks ok to me, so I don't understand why that shouldn't be a better option than playing home games 16 miles away.

33 minutes ago, An Absolute Imposter said:

🖤🤍

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

This Lockerbie thing is an ongoing pain in the arse - I attended more Uppers games before I moved down here! Annanside is reputed to flood a lot, but I haven't seen that myself in the last few years, the water table has yet to recover from the two hot summers of 20 and 21, and the Annan looks pretty low even after days of heavy rain; so I really don't think it's an issue. Not being on Facebook, and tending to avoid CC meetings as they're balloon magnets (generally of the anti-windfarm variety), I am very much not in the loop; so there may have been progress in the last few months.

While the Academy may be a terrible place to watch football, the pitch usually looks ok to me, so I don't understand why that shouldn't be a better option than playing home games 16 miles away.

Was thinking along the lines that at least the last 2 autumns,(october/november) whoever maintains the School playing field comes in and aeriates and scarifies the pitch rendering is useless over the winter. They end up playing where ever they can. 

18 minutes ago, Sermani said:

Was thinking along the lines that at least the last 2 autumns,(october/november) whoever maintains the School playing field comes in and aeriates and scarifies the pitch rendering is useless over the winter. They end up playing where ever they can. 

That sounds plausible. There's little noticeably wrong with it to the untrained eye, but there has to be something up with it.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I recall reading somewhere that Uppers almost get chased from the Academy at times. And find it less hassle to play games away from the town It saddens me how many towns in Scotland actively appear to work against their local club making it difficult for them to just exist. 

Like a few clubs in the league their social media presence can be quite sketchy at times and getting good info can be tricky.

I appreciate it can be a pain going to games 16 odd miles away from your clubs home. I personally cover games from Lochmaben to Wigtown and all stops in between.

It can be challenging at times to fit the game in, but in the end its worth it. Cannot beat a live match in the flesh.

Full-Times

Nithsdale 5-2 Creetown

Saints 2-2 Lochmaben

Stranraer 3-1 Mids

Vale 5-0 Uppers

Star 3-3 Newton S

Lochar 3-0 W&B 

Just back from St.Mary's where the trialist family were out in force for the visitors. Wee report later.

Edited by An Absolute Imposter