8 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

Unfortunately the women's team are all basically amateurs whilst the top 5 clubs in the league are professionals.

Massive massive gap between the top 5 clubs in the league and the rest.

United team are full of promising young lassies but 90% of them are on ammy contracts with a sprinkling of semi pro ones dished out for the first time this season.

Last night's result against Queens Park was more realistic (Spiders won 3-2 with a late goal from them). We'll likely get relegated this season and drop down to SWPL2 which we'll win again and bounce back up to get scudded for a season AGAIN.

Womens football at this level just now has some serious issues in the difference between the clubs able to hand out professional contracts to internationally capped players and the rest which are all basically amateurs clubs.

Aye, as you say there's such a massive discrepancy between the top few teams and the others, and short of having a 6 team league I don't see how you avoid these kind of results. It must be soul destroying for the players though. I don't see how these results benefit anybody.

10 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Aye, as you say there's such a massive discrepancy between the top few teams and the others, and short of having a 6 team league I don't see how you avoid these kind of results. It must be soul destroying for the players though. I don't see how these results benefit anybody.

Yeah can't be fun getting pumped most weeks but playing against the best players in the country can only help the young lassies, maybe they'll step up their game once they get accustomed to the level they are playing at now. 

22 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Absolutely, I'm not convinced about the structure at United women as a pathway either. Having had personal experience with both my girls being at the "academy" and then making some seriously odd choices about changing things from the bottom to the top (condensing age groups and disbanding league winning teams/getting rid of coaches) it's really difficult for local young talent to progress. That said things are moving back in the right direction come the new year so we'll see what happens down the line.

There's other SWFL womens teams in the area that are progressing at a decent rate bringing in players from United and the local area that are doing well at their level so it's just a matter of time and patience whilst the women's game grows.

11 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

Yeah can't be fun getting pumped most weeks but playing against the best players in the country can only help the young lassies, maybe they'll step up their game once they get accustomed to the level they are playing at now. 

It can to an extent yes, the inverse applies too, winning consistently and not being challenged leads to stagnation eventually.

United have signed promising players and their coach Suzie Shepard is well regarded, I'd be filing this current season under work in progress. There's a good foundation there if the right training and development goes on.

18 minutes ago, Groot said:

£300K deal agreed it seems. 🙄

Disappointed with this. 

300k now, 200k in add ons and 20% of his next fee.

Really big gamble on him going to Norwich, exploding, and being sold for silly money in 18-24 months, or him flaming out and being released into lower tier football in a few years.

Basically any other outcome in between - like say him going for a couple million next year, or playing for Norwich successfully for a decade, this deal comes out worse for us than you'd imagine we'd have got if we'd even waited till January.

I understand the bet but I don't like the odds

Edited by Ascal

4 minutes ago, Ascal said:

300k now, 200k in add ons and 20% of his next fee.

Really big gamble on him going to Norwich, exploding, and being sold for silly money in 18-24 months, or him flaming out and being released into lower tier football in a few years.

Basically any other outcome in between - like say him going for a couple million next year, or playing for Norwich successfully for a decade, this deal comes out worse for us than you'd imagine even if we'd waited till January.

I understand the bet but I don't like the odds

Thing is, it almost feels like money for nothing. We've not had him, so we can't miss him. 

The club is a business and must do what they see fit, but as a fan, I was pretty excited by this young lads potential. 

Edited by Groot

I can understand United fans being disappointed but this is the economic reality of Scottish football.  Unless sponsorship income increases dramatically (it definitely will not) deals like this will increasingly become more common.  

The days of getting young players to sign 5 year plus deals are long gone.  At least we can all agree that’s a good thing. 

Edited by Shadow Play

25 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Great we see a wee flash from a promising youngster and then he's off.

Need to hold on to our assets a bit longer FFS.

Out of contract next summer and not willing to sign extension

33 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I can understand United fans being disappointed but this is the economic reality of Scottish football.  Unless sponsorship income increases dramatically (it definitely will not) deals like this will increasingly become more common.  

The days of getting young players to sign 5 year plus deals are long gone.  At least we can all agree that’s a good thing. 

It's how things are now, as depressing as it is.