1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

I think Gallagher with Graham and Sevvy either side of him will be a decent back three.

I'll not regurgitate the tactical breakdown I've seen on twitter but Sevvy will be stepping into midfield more from the back which means we'll notionally have a back two of Gallagher and Graham.

Holt and Graham together just doesn't work.

Going by the analysis and what Goodwin has said, I'm worried that there's a system that's trying to be implemented that's confusing some of the players and we'll not see any fluidity and togetherness until it clicks for the squad as a whole.

If it ever clicks.

Graham is a carthorse as is Gallagher and Holt is a championship player. They will be all be found out this season against better players. 

I'll be surprised if we don't sign another first choice CB in the coming weeks as we certainly need one. 

2 minutes ago, Fife Arab said:

Horrific yesterday. 

Anyway…

Heard we have made a good offer to Alan Campbell. Wanted man though. 

Would be an interesting excellent signing but sure he’ll have a few options.  Is the other Macedonian still looking likely?

2 minutes ago, Loemba90 said:

Would be an interesting excellent signing but sure he’ll have a few options.  Is the other Macedonian still looking likely?

Would be huge especially looking at that midfield yesterday. 

macedonian was training Friday so assume that will be done soon. 

Why are we signing attacking midfielders for a formation that doesn't really fit them.

Hmmmm

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

Graham is a carthorse as is Gallagher and Holt is a championship player. They will be all be found out this season against better players. 

I'll be surprised if we don't sign another first choice CB in the coming weeks as we certainly need one. 

Graham definitely is not a cart horse you philistine.

I hate the 3 at the back thing. We were dreadful with it in our last season in the Prem.

Yesterday we somehow seemed to simultaneously have no support up front and no midfield, while also being open at the back. It was like we only had 8 players on the pitch in the 2nd half.

Still time for new arrivals and settling in, but a lot of the same old signs were there unfortunately.

3 hours ago, ArabianKnight said:

I think Gallagher with Graham and Sevvy either side of him will be a decent back three.

I'll not regurgitate the tactical breakdown I've seen on twitter but Sevvy will be stepping into midfield more from the back which means we'll notionally have a back two of Gallagher and Graham.

Holt and Graham together just doesn't work.

Going by the analysis and what Goodwin has said, I'm worried that there's a system that's trying to be implemented that's confusing some of the players and we'll not see any fluidity and togetherness until it clicks for the squad as a whole.

If it ever clicks.

Goodwin is an absolute charlatan.

A fraud.

A tactical fuckwit.

For your sake, you should hope he’s gone very soon 

11 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Why are we signing attacking midfielders for a formation that doesn't really fit them.

Hmmmm

Graham definitely is not a cart horse you philistine.

Uhm cause we have no creativity and expect Watt to be the link up man in midfield, it's a sorry state of affairs. 

Do you really want to be going into this season with Graham as first choice? Think we really should be looking at better options. 

7 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I hate the 3 at the back thing. We were dreadful with it in our last season in the Prem.

Yesterday we somehow seemed to simultaneously have no support up front and no midfield, while also being open at the back. It was like we only had 8 players on the pitch in the 2nd half.

Still time for new arrivals and settling in, but a lot of the same old signs were there unfortunately.

It's just another cyclical formation in football, majority of teams at the euros were playing this type of formation. Next season teams will revert back to a 443 or something else. 

IMO It doesn't really work well for us at our level as we don't have enough technical players that can keep control of the ball and pass it around, it's often very laboured with CB's passing it to one another for a while when the opposition gets 11 men behind the ball. 

30 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

It's just another cyclical formation in football, majority of teams at the euros were playing this type of formation. Next season teams will revert back to a 443 or something else. 

IMO It doesn't really work well for us at our level as we don't have enough technical players that can keep control of the ball and pass it around, it's often very laboured with CB's passing it to one another for a while when the opposition gets 11 men behind the ball. 

443 might be worth a try right enough.  Not even sure that would help us at times though…

27 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

I'm sure many defenders at Scottish level would prefer to blooter it away rather than attempt to pass it through the opposition, given their technical ability and that of many of the midfielders in front of them. 

I'm happy to see a passing game from a team who can actually pass AND move, and they can rely on a couple of pacy team mates. 

And to Goodwin: almost all managers are failures, that's football. The successful guys are those who are adaptable,  and play to players' strengths, rather than those who think they can impose a rigid system. And, they've got to be liked by their staff these days. 

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Uhm cause we have no creativity and expect Watt to be the link up man in midfield, it's a sorry state of affairs. 

Do you really want to be going into this season with Graham as first choice? Think we really should be looking at better options. 

So in a 5-2-3/3-4-3 formation where do these AMs go? One alongside Sibbald or Doc, or taking one of the LF or RF positions?

Right side is tenuous with Middleton playing there yesterday and Fotheringham coming on to replace him, are these expected signings intended to replace them? I could see the shout to replace Middleton as he was poor yesterday but replace Kai who's probably the favourite of those two I'm not so sure.

I'd much rather we were spending money on a solid defensive midfield or someone more defensively minded at least.

I'm starting to get the vibe the recruitment is going to be a proper mess and some serious shoe horning is about to take place here.

If we go to a back 4 do Ferry and Strain play comfortably as fullbacks? They are both quite attacking players.

Does Goodwin see the wing backs providing width and United will go with attacking midfielders as part of the front 3.

Lot of questions to be answered at the moment and I'm not sure I'm going to like the outcome.

2 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Goodwin is an absolute charlatan.

A fraud.

A tactical fuckwit.

For your sake, you should hope he’s gone very soon 

He signed a player that is likely to make you millions so I wouldn't be too quick to criticise.

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

So in a 5-2-3/3-4-3 formation where do these AMs go? One alongside Sibbald or Doc, or taking one of the LF or RF positions?

Right side is tenuous with Middleton playing there yesterday and Fotheringham coming on to replace him, are these expected signings intended to replace them? I could see the shout to replace Middleton as he was poor yesterday but replace Kai who's probably the favourite of those two I'm not so sure.

I'd much rather we were spending money on a solid defensive midfield or someone more defensively minded at least.

I'm starting to get the vibe the recruitment is going to be a proper mess and some serious shoe horning is about to take place here.

If we go to a back 4 do Ferry and Strain play comfortably as fullbacks? They are both quite attacking players.

Does Goodwin see the wing backs providing width and United will go with attacking midfielders as part of the front 3.

Lot of questions to be answered at the moment and I'm not sure I'm going to like the outcome.

I think It'll be a similar formation that Scotland played at the euros, one up top (Moult/Watt) with two CAM's or wide attackers in behind (Trap/Babu/Fotheringham).

A bit like last season, I can't see it working too well with three at the back personally, it'll be boring games to watch and we will end up reverting to 4 at the back a couple months into the season as soon as we hit a bad run of form. 

I’d be happy with any team, formation and tactics which sees whoever we are playing as striker not isolated when we’re mounting an attack.