Our manager was laughing at how bad Ryan trains when he was asked about his return from injury at a Q&A in January. It was obvious from then that even if he had zero offers elsewhere, there was no chance he was staying. It's a shame because he's a great player on his day, as well as being the grandson of a st mirren legend, but we moved on. I hope is ok though and back playing soon.

35 minutes ago, Desp said:

The absolute state of this.  Haven't Dundee Utd spent half of the last decade in the second tier of Scottish Football?

There's five big clubs in this country, and there's the rest.  Dundee Utd are very much part of "the rest".  Well done on being a very good European side 35-40 years ago, though, but we're now in 2024.

They genuinely believe they are a huge club. 

It’s hilarious and tragic in equal measure. They bang on about attendances non stop - but only when it suits them - don’t dare point out when their fans don’t turn up. 

As soon as there is any adversity they ditch their team and hate it being pointed out. As fickle a fan base as you will find. They actually tend to get more home fans in when they are in the championship - and wear it as a badge of honour.

This is glory hunting - not happy to watch a competitive season in top flight - but more than happy to pay premiership prices to watch them in a less competitive league cos they’ll get to wear their daft sunglasses and do displays. Minter. 

Just had the "official" attendance last night posted on the Dundee Utd website.

It was 12,868 including 1 fan from Stenhousemuir ( guy from view to the terrace)

Included in the attendance figure was Timmy Mallett and Zippy from Rainbow. 

3 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

It’s hilarious and tragic in equal measure. They bang on about attendances non stop - but only when it suits them - don’t dare point out when their fans don’t turn up. 

As soon as there is any adversity they ditch their team and hate it being pointed out. As fickle a fan base as you will find. They actually tend to get more home fans in when they are in the championship - and wear it as a badge of honour.

This is glory hunting - not happy to watch a competitive season in top flight - but more than happy to pay premiership prices to watch them in a less competitive league cos they’ll get to wear their daft sunglasses and do displays. Minter. 

Dear god,.could try and get some quality to your posts if your going to wum? This some tired, sad old regurgitated pish.  I'm sure you must be able to do better than that, although I'll concede it was written well.

image.gif

1 minute ago, Tannadeechee said:

Dear god,.could try and get some quality to your posts if your going to wum? This some tired, sad old regurgitated pish.  I'm sure you must be able to do better than that, although I'll concede it was written well.

image.gif

Maybe you can answer this then since you seem to deflect everything else or engage in a spot of Whataboutery.

You said above that it was expected to have a large crowd at Gayfield as a Premiership team were visiting, easy to get to and within 20 mins.

There was a premiership team at your game - so are you perhaps suggesting that Tannadice is not within 20 mins and easy to get to for most Utd fans? 

Surely it’s inexplicable that a club of Utds magnitude would have an almost identical crowd to Arbroath on the same night at the same time? 

I’ve also just realised this 900 odd crowd you keep spouting for Dundee is an away fixture over an hour away  - I’m not sure how that compares to a home game for Utd? I’d suggest it doesn’t. 

2 hours ago, PartyFears2 said:

Didn’t the Great Robinson offer him a new contract? 

Which was withdrawn by the club. No doubt Ryan has a lot of talent but his fitness issues are why he is still playing in Scotland. A player with his skill would have been looked at by English Championship teams, there is a reason they passed him by. 

https://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avesco.htm

United in the Championship drew an average crowd of 8408.

Dundee in the Premiership, during their best season since 98/99 - one might say a generational season - drew 6965 which is 1500 fewer fans. And bear in mind that includes visits from Celtic and Rangers.

Theres absolutely no doubt theres a gap between United and the big five (Hibs and Aberdeen had around 16,000 AVG).

Theres equally no doubt theres a significant gap between United and the next tier (Dundee, St Mirren, Killie) in terms of size as measured by attendance and turnover.

Doesn't mean united haven't underachieved recently, I think that's a given. But attempting a wind up about relative attendances probably isn't the best move here...

Edited by Ascal

48 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

You need try golf or something and release some of this tension, it's not healthy, seriously.

The bitterness is seaping from your post.

Banter is one thing but when you start going on about glory hunting as a Dundee United fan then you need pulled up. We have won 5 trophies in our history. Hardly Celtic or Rangers is it?

The "minter" comment about the displays that happen at Tannadice, really? United fans who spend their time and money (it is now crowd funded) to help create a spectacle (which has often been better than the football on display in this country) and you are "trying" to use that as a dig, cmon. 

1 minute ago, Buddie Holly said:

can’t wait til goodwin is first manager sacked this season 😂

And if it is deserved then so will every United fan.

Didn't he win the league cup as a player for you guys? 

3 minutes ago, Buddie Holly said:

can’t wait til goodwin is first manager sacked this season 😂

Lets hope not. 

He's doing excellent work. 

Thank you. 

49 minutes ago, Der Panzer said:

Irony!!! It's usually BNB's banging on about  attendances on the forums. Imagine watching the highlights of your city rivals games to try and count the crowd. Sad, obsessed, envious eejits.

1 hour ago, Buddie Holly said:

must be something in the water up there 

aberdeen and utd still live in the 80s 😂

Good to see that St Mirren fans are so not bothered about Aberdeen that we even get a mention in the Dundee Utd thread!

Just now, DukDukGoose said:

Good to see that St Mirren fans are so not bothered about Aberdeen that we even get a mention in the Dundee Utd thread!

Nothing says "Dundee United forum" like Aberdeen catching strays from a Buddie drive by!

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

I personally find that it is fans of clubs outwith United and Aberdeen that bring up the 80s. 

8 minutes ago, ArabWurzel said:

Irony!!! It's usually BNB's banging on about  attendances on the forums. Imagine watching the highlights of your city rivals games to try and count the crowd. Sad, obsessed, envious eejits.

If one of you can point out where I said I “tried to count the crowd” - an assertion made by a couple of you now - I will bow out gracefully. The stadium looked almost completely empty and I thought it looked a very poor crowd so I was intrigued. I actually assumed the upper tier must’ve been open - it wasn’t. 

I did ask for the attendance - as Utd seem to have tried to bury it.