Longest gap between Scotland caps

accies1874

With Lewis Morgan coming on last night for his first cap in over six years, I'd be interested to know what the longest gap between Scotland caps is? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

With Lewis Morgan coming on last night for his first cap in over six years, I'd be interested to know what the longest gap between Scotland caps is? 

There will be a few with longer gaps due to WW1 or WWII but in so called peace time Bobby Collins was capped when he was at Leeds United in 1965 six years after his previous cap as an Everton player. Ned Doig was capped when Arbroath’s goalkeeper in 1889 and his next cap was in 1896 when with Sunderland.. There will probably be a few others.

Edited by Eednud

28 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

So his second cap was three years before his first? (Daft old goat)

At least I got the 18 oatcake part right. It was 1896.

Don't have a Wee Red Book to hand but I always remember being struck by only being able to find one player who was capped before and after the First World War, with a gap from 1914 to 1920. Can't remember the name.

We can imagine what happened to many of the others.

Stevie Crawford went nearly six years between his debut (2-1 win over Ecuador 24/05/1995, he scored one of the goals) and his next game, 1-1 draw with Poland 25/04/2001.

7 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Stevie Crawford went nearly six years between his debut (2-1 win over Ecuador 24/05/1995, he scored one of the goals) and his next game, 1-1 draw with Poland 25/04/2001.

Joe Craig scored on his debut in 1977 and hasn't played since. He's 70 now, so might not get a second cap.

19 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

A related question. Does Craig Gordon have the longest Scotland career?

Unless David Marshall makes a comeback but think he's done with international games

3 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

A related question. Does Craig Gordon have the longest Scotland career?

Yes, followed by David Marshall who started later in the same year as Gordon (2004) and finished against Croatia in 2021. He was in the squad a few times after that but never played and officially retired a year or so ago.

Posted (edited)
On 08/06/2024 at 12:42, KirkieRR said:

Don't have a Wee Red Book to hand but I always remember being struck by only being able to find one player who was capped before and after the First World War, with a gap from 1914 to 1920. Can't remember the name.

We can imagine what happened to many of the others.

Sorry to burst this, but there were at least 6 internationals capped either side of WWI*... plus only 4 former international footballers were killed in the war: Tom Jackson at the Somme in 1916; Donald McLeod and Jimmy Speirs at Passchendaele in 1917; plus Bob Christie gassed in 1918. All of them were retired except Speirs but he hadn't been capped since 1908.

(There were also 4 never capped for Scotland but who were Scottish League internationals... Peter Johnstone at Arras in 1917; James Maxwell in Mesopotamia in 1917; Alec Logan at Cambrai in 1918; plus Tom Gracie who died of leukaemia in 1915 while in the forces. Johnstone and Gracie had faced Irish League in November 1914, others hadn't earnt league caps since 1907 + 1910 respectively).

In contrast 30 rugby internationals were killed.

*Jimmy McMenemy, Alec McNair, Jimmy Gordon, James Reid, Wilf Low, Alex Donaldson

Edited by HibeeJibee

For completeness at least 3 won caps either side of WWII*.

Willie Imrie (last cap 1929) died of cancer in 1944 in the forces; and Alex Jackson (last 1930) after crashing an army truck in Egypt in 1946.

*Tommy Walker, Jimmy Delaney, George Paterson

David Marshall played in a 4-1 defeat to Sweden on 17th November 2004 and then didn't get another game until 12th August 2009, a 4-0 defeat away to Norway.

I had forgotten about that Norway game, sheer misery.

On 11/06/2024 at 09:24, ICTChris said:

David Marshall played in a 4-1 defeat to Sweden on 17th November 2004 and then didn't get another game until 12th August 2009, a 4-0 defeat away to Norway.

Mrs Caldwell being the only woman in the world with two fannies was the poor taste joke that came from that game

On 11/06/2024 at 09:24, ICTChris said:

Qualifiers were still scheduled by negotiation then and in a real stroke of genius George Burley + Gordon Smith agreed to visit Oslo in the August friendly slot which would only have allowed 2 days preparation. Failing to get SPL to start a week early, they belatedly struck a deal to start a week late*, allowing for sufficient prep... but players hadn't played competitively since April/May.

*deal was that if we qualified the Scottish Cup Semi-Finals would be played midweek so SPL could use the weekend - we didn't qualify and thankfully they weren't. This is only surpassed for incredulity by Gordon Smith's earlier attempt to alleviate Rangers fixture pileup by delaying Scottish Cup Final in 2008 v Queen of the South to following Wednesday night.