Local Urban Legends

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

d0aa50b3-4063-4855-abeb-8d8b4b83da4c_tex

There was a boy I used to work with. Had cheese, marmite & jam sandwiches.

Some men just want to watch the World burn.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

There's no mention of granite on that page, never mind the materials section.

Whilst some granite used on the exterior, it seems that much (if not most) of it is also marble & concrete.  Therefore, I doubt you can class it as a 'granite building', unless you want to say somebody with a filling is an amalgam human.

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 09/06/2024 at 12:24, Hedgecutter said:

A post on another thread about an urban 'myth' from uni had me thinking about the various urban legends doing the rounds out there.  The well-entrenched one that pops straight to mind for me is Marischal College in Aberdeen being Hitler's favourite building in the UK, which he would have made a residence or HQ had he won WW2.  I don't think any student can be in Aberdeen for over a week and not hear that one.

I overheard somebody in Banchory say that it has the widest pavement in the UK after somebody beside him said "tell me something I don't know".  I feel both proud and guilty about that one as I fabricated that blatant lie when passing an infilled bus stop and added it to the Banchory Wikipedia page when bored one afternoon.  Some mod took it down a long time back once they started taking referencing seriously, but I'm entertained that at least one person still thinks it's true.

Anyway, which urban myths/legends have you heard from your part of the land?  Whether it's half the town or just a handful of people who genuinely think it's legit, let's get them shared...

On 09/06/2024 at 15:43, coprolite said:

I don't think i ever heard that and i was at Aberdeen Uni for four years. 

7qua6Sf.gif.1beb510a781d1084c435a2064ddace73.gif

I'm studying there just now and have never been told it at uni. I do think I'd heard it somewhere else though. back in the mists of time.

A wee Google backs up the student angle. From the handbook 2008-09,

image.thumb.png.758f6b1ca30c19dbc081b1887dac8782.png

36 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

There's no mention of granite on that page, never mind the materials section.

Whilst some granite used on the exterior, it seems that much (if not most) of it is also marble & concrete.  Therefore, I doubt you can class it as a 'granite building', unless you want to say somebody with a filling is an amalgam human.

Hence urban legend I was told when I moved here.

1 hour ago, Suspect Device said:

I'm studying there just now and have never been told it at uni. I do think I'd heard it somewhere else though. back in the mists of time.

A wee Google backs up the student angle. From the handbook 2008-09,

image.thumb.png.758f6b1ca30c19dbc081b1887dac8782.png

Only Aberdonians could think of that as a positive marketing tool

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Only Aberdonians could think of that as a positive marketing tool

He may well have led a campaign of terror across Europe and given the green light to the whole Holocaust thing amongst many other questionable moments of judgement, but the wannabe-architect had some good taste*.

The beloved VW Beetle was developed from an idea of Adolf Hitler’s you know:

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20130830-the-nazi-car-we-came-to-love

*an excerpt from the 2002/03 UoA prospectus, maybe.

ETA: Whilst Aberdeen was a serious target during the blitz, the numerous bombs all seemed to avoid Marischal College (marked by the red X, centre).  Coincidence?

Screenshot_20240611-124941.thumb.png.f2637bc799037f074bb8b4667a7ba109.png

Edited by Hedgecutter

19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

He may well have led a campaign of terror across Europe and given the green light to the whole Holocaust thing amongst many other questionable moments of judgement, but the wannabe-architect had some good taste*.

ETA: Whilst Aberdeen was a serious target during the blitz, the numerous bombs all seemed to avoid Marischal College (marked by the red X, centre).  Coincidence?

Screenshot_20240611-124738.thumb.png.65b0b010b2b73a4bf837b74c42051565.png

I see they got the Waltzers though 😐

30 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Screenshot_20240611-124941.thumb.png.f2637bc799037f074bb8b4667a7ba109.png

they missed Pittodrie.... 

Kilbowie and Forthbank were bombed though. Perhaps Adolf was a closet Dumbarton and Alloa fan? 

19 hours ago, Gaz said:

There used to be an absolute old jakie in Falkirk High Street called Old John. If you asked 100 folk, every single person would tell you he'd had a different respectable job before turning to drink, and would swear on their kids' lives that he'd been a lawyer / bank manager / headteacher / detective (and 96 others).

It wasn't Lambie after his ill fated spell as Falkirk manager? 

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

they missed Pittodrie.... 

... and the pilot responsible took a hissy fit and took his anger out on folk in the neighbouring cemetery.  There are still lines of bullet marks in some of the granite headstones (note Pittodrie in background):

Battle Scarred  & Shrapnel Damaged From WW2 Trinity Cemetery Aberdeen Scotland

54 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I see they got the Waltzers though 😐

"How best to break the British spirit Mein Führer?"

"Take out those waltzers"

GettyImages-3319335-91e39f9.thumb.jpg.aabe304c508fc0c8968a0324450d6536.jpg

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Marilyn Manson got a rib surgically removed so he could perform auto-fellatio.

It was David Bowie, Mick Jagger, or Prince in previous generations.

I wonder which current pop star is the beneficiary of this rumour. I get the impression it was made up by auld farts who thought the young person music was being made by those homosexuals you hear about, much like the David Bowie/Elton John/Rod Stewart stomach pump story.