David Marshall - Retired

16 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

WRT Craig Gordon I remember when we were playing Ireland at Hampden ( 2 - 1 )

and we gave the ball to them from one of our corners . Initial panic with their counter attack , but then a thought that the Irishman would probably have to beat Gordon in a one on one .

And so he did not

We should also remember this magnificent assist:

To quote Liam McLeod on that night in Belgrade: "David Marshall - national hero in Scotland forever." Couldn't put it any better myself.

Thanks for years of service David Marshall, turning up camp after camp in a golden era. That night on Serbia will be very fondly remembered as long as we all live.

Great Scottish keeper. Clarke owes him as without Euro2020 in the bank who knows what would have happened.

Wonder what he'll do after retiring. He's done media work with Sky so maybe more of that. 

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

That night in Belgrade is one of the most memorable moments of supporting Scotland.

In a football game way back when I was in my 20s, a defender caught me very late and very hard while I was taking a shot on goal and wrecked the ligaments in my right ankle. Worse than a break, I was told. I didn't play football again for 18 months and it was another year after that before the ankle felt right again. A bad injury and the worst pain I've ever known in my life, but I didn't cry. When Marshall saved that penalty, I cried. Given the sheer weight of shattered hope since 1998 I'd say that was the greatest and most memorable moment I've had supporting Scotland (or any other team, to be fair) and the only time the football has made me cry.

25 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Great Scottish keeper. Clarke owes him as without Euro2020 in the bank who knows what would have happened.

Wonder what he'll do after retiring. He's done media work with Sky so maybe more of that. 

He’s our new technical performance manager whatever that means. 

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

It's been said, however Marshall can probably find himself unlucky at the time he came through. 3 great Scottish Goalkeepers at the same time, but to become a legend in his own right speaks volumes for the man. I always liked the way he conducted himself on and off the pitch and I think he had the type of career where he enjoyed success on the park and probably earned enough money from the game to see him alright for the years to come.

Whatever his next move is, I wish him well

16 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

We'll be lucky if we ever see an active set of goalkeepers as good as Gordon, McGregor and Marshall again

12 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Little doubt that he was third in line, which makes it all the more credit to him that he amassed 47 caps and will be more fondly remembered - for that save alone - than the other two.

12 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

More fondly than McGregor definitely. McGregor was a bit of a w**k tbh.

Gordon however served Scotland consistently over many years (except when he was out injured obviously) so that's more debatable. It's possible to remember both Marshall and Gordon with fondness though, we don't need to choose between them.

I do wish Marshall had reached 50 caps and entered the roll of honour. Less deserving players have done so.

Yeah this. Marshall was a tremendous keeper but Gordon and McGregor were both better keepers. That save adds to his legend without a doubt but I'm not having it that he'll ultimately be "more fondly" remembered than Craig Gordon. Gordon's had a 20 year career as Scotland keeper and at least in my lifetime is probably the best keeper we've had (argument for Goram , who was clearly a flawed genius and maybe Leighton). He was also a tremendous ambassador who never put a foot wrong professionally. It's sad Gordon never managed an actual game in a finals though he did go to Euro 2020.

McGregor, like Goram before him, was a supremely talented goalkeeper but his legacy will ultimately be about his flaws, walking away from his country twice, just as Goram did before France 98.

It is a shame Marshall didn't reach the 50 caps, just as it's also a shame Gordon never reached 100 caps which his talent would have deserved (I assume he's not going to win his place back and get another 25 although he says he's not retiring!). Marshall's been an outstanding servant to his country though and I'm sure everyone will wish him well in the future whatever it may hold.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

48 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah this. Marshall was a tremendous keeper but Gordon and McGregor were both better keepers. That save adds to his legend without a doubt but I'm not having it that he'll ultimately be "more fondly" remembered than Craig Gordon. Gordon's had a 20 year career as Scotland keeper and at least in my lifetime is probably the best keeper we've had

Let's put it this way. 10/15/20 years from now, if you were on a trip away with the Tartan Army and for whatever reason you were mentioning goalkeepers...

The name Marshall pops up and you immediately smile and picture that save and the aftermath.

The name Gordon pops up and you say, aye, great keeper.

It's not the same is it?

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Let's put it this way. 10/15/20 years from now, if you were on a trip away with the Tartan Army and for whatever reason you were mentioning goalkeepers...

The name Marshall pops up and you immediately smile and picture that save and the aftermath.

It's not the same is it?

In fairness when anyone says Craig Gordon I immediately picture his clean sheets against France. All three had incredible careers, shame we can't have the 22 yo gordon back for this tournament 

I can see the argument behind Marshall being most fondly remembered. People have already forgotten just how good Gordon was, whereas that penalty save is in the annals. 

Gordon was fast developing into one of the best goalkeepers in Europe, and there's no doubt in my mind that he'd have moved from Sunderland to a top tier club if he hadn't got injured. 

Marshall found himself in a bit of an Andy Murray situation. Obviously very good but not quite at the level of his "rivals". Although he did have a spell ahead of McGregor at Hull City.

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

It's not the same is it?

Unfortunately, when the name Marshall pops up I'll immediately smile and remember him flying into the back of the net at Hampden...

I actually felt a bit embarrassed about it at the time.

My abiding memory of Craig Gordon still to this day, is the look of terror on his face when he fumbled a shot against Slovenia in a 0-0 draw during one of his early appearance.

As for that throbber McGregor, it's him and his pal giving the finger to camera whilst Berra giggles like a girl in the background.

44210341-9684823-image-a-99_1623684208066.jpg.e16d149652981615d9072e5e2ce0fd51.jpg

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Is it weird that when I hear "Scotland goalkeeper Marshall", I still think of Gordon?

He got one cap in a friendly FFS, and I doubt I even watched it.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Unfortunately, when the name Marshall pops up I'll immediately smile and remember him flying into the back of the net at Hampden...

44210341-9684823-image-a-99_1623684208066.jpg.e16d149652981615d9072e5e2ce0fd51.jpg

It's not even close.

I find this eulogising of him on here distinctly weird.

He was fine for us - that's all.

He made a famous save in a shoot-out.  However, that's at least offset by a comedy blunder at the finals he helped us to.

I'd assumed he'd retired years ago.

David Marshall would've been so far off his line for tactical reasons otherwise the manager would've been screaming at him to get back. Schick said after the game that he'd spotted him miles out a few times in the first half and thought he could have a chance of scoring the goal he did. 

Tl:dr Not Marshall's fault.

3 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Unfortunately, when the name Marshall pops up I'll immediately smile and remember him flying into the back of the net at Hampden... I actually felt a bit embarrassed about it at the time.

My abiding memory of Craig Gordon still to this day, is the look of terror on his face when he fumbled a shot against Slovenia in a 0-0 draw during one of his early appearance.

As for that throbber McGregor, it's him and his pal giving the finger to camera whilst Berra giggles like a girl in the background.

You're a glass half-full guy, right?