Opening Ceremony

craigkillie

There seems to have been surprisingly little information about the opening ceremony given that the game is less than three days away. Saw on the UEFA website that there will be a tribute to Franz Beckenbauer and that his wife will bring the trophy out alongside Germany's two other captains who have won it. You'd also assume that the official tournament song will be performed live. Anyone heard anything else about it?

I thought I'd seen that Ed Sheeran was playing but that might have been some other Euro related event in Germany and not the actual opening ceremony if you can't see anything on it? 

21 minutes ago, Christophe said:

I thought I'd seen that Ed Sheeran was playing but that might have been some other Euro related event in Germany and not the actual opening ceremony if you can't see anything on it? 

The option to pour molten lead into your ears remains open.

1 hour ago, Christophe said:

Looks like he's at a fan festival a few days before, thank God. These things are always impossible to sit through without that particular horror.

Although, I could be down for seeing him tied up in a goalmouth and pelted with balls fired from a series of cannons. A Diana Ross moment done right.

This is going to sound dumb as f**k but I thought I read somewhere that the Opening ceremony was on Thursday in Stuttgart? I might have misread as it was translated from German.

Does anyone know what time we actually need to be at the stadium for on Friday? Even the UEFA website and ticket switches between an 8pm & 9pm kick off time (probably the UK/Germany time difference but still fucking annoying and confusing).

There is an opening concert or something on Thursday, but I think there will still be a ceremony of sorts before the first game. The match is 100% a 9pm kick-off German time.

10 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The option to pour molten lead into your ears remains open.

I’m thinking STV should reschedule the leaders’ debate to save us all from the opening ceremony.  

I understand that there will be a few songs belted out pre-match.

What I don't get is why football is trying to copy American football.

The European Cup final "pre-game show" had a Super bowl half time show ring to it.

At the opening ceremony I just want to see people bring out giants flags out into the pitch. People dressed in furry mascot uniforms or Diana Ross doing an impression of an England player taking a penalty.

That's it.

I don't want to see Lenny Kravitz play the one and only hit he had in his entire career.

The only part of the opening ceremony that i care about is Franz Beckenbauer's widow, Bernard Dietz and Bernard Dietz and Jurgen Klinsmann carrying the European championship trophy out onto the park.

Then kick off.

5 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Thankfully Covid spared anyone from having to witness U2 and their interestingly named follow up to Bloody Sunday.

I wonder if you get free rotten fruit on Friday to throw at the opening ceremony act? 

10 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

I wonder if you get free rotten fruit on Friday to throw at the opening ceremony act? 

Given the full ceremony appears to last under 15 mins I'm not sure why folk are getting up tight. It will be a load of bigwigs bringing the trophy on to the pitch and that's about it.

I'm sure the instantly forgettable scheisse that is the official song will get a performance. Accompanied by what is comfortably the worst music video of all time. Watch and see what stands out: