Germany - Scotland

Old Bing

6 hours ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Craig Levein likes this

So my unpopular opinion - there never was anything wrong with the tactic. The narrative that's formed around that game is prehistoric - possibly the best team in the history of the Euros won the final 4-0 playing the same basic formation. There were two problems. First, the formation leaked and we lost the element of surprise. And much worse, Levein executed it really badly because he didn't focus enough on how we would play out when we got possession. His one idea was Jamie Mackie - making his debut wide right - chasing hoofs down the wing.

Gordon Strachan tried something similar in a home game in the Champions League against AC Milan, with Tommy Gravesen wide left. It wasn't working, same as the Scotland game it was 0-0 at half time but he changed it and Celtic went on to win that game 2-1.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

It is true.

https://www.planetfootball.com/nostalgia/paul-lambert-inspired-dortmund-overcome-zizous-juve-europe#:~:text=With their midfield tussle ongoing,Reidle at the back post.

Still doesn't mean he was on the level of Deschamps in general, especially when he then scurried off that 'European superpower' Celtic.

Lambert didn't move to Celtic because it was the best club he could get, he moved to Celtic because he wanted to go home. Borussia Dortmund were sad to see him go and the send-off the fans gave him was incredible. He was too good for Celtic, and he played a huge role in getting them to the UEFA Cup final and last 16 of the Champions League. Celtic were incredibly lucky at that time to have good players - like Henrik Larsson - who were wanted by bigger clubs but for other reasons chose to stay in Glasgow.

When Lambert arrived at Celtic they were ranked 60th in the five-year UEFA ranking; when he left in 2005 they were 22nd. For context the team in 22nd place now is Arsenal.

As for Scotland, I always remember Lambert missing the Scotland-England play-off game in 1999 and us losing 2-0 to a pair of Scholes' goals. With Lambert in the team that might have gone differently.

He wasn't Deschamps but he was easily better than Callum McGregor.

Edited by GordonS

3 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

This must be the biggest game I have ever been to. Excited already, I’ll be fucking drained by 9pm. 

A night of emotions is definitely in store for us all. I will be the guy in tears during the national anthem 

8 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

This must be the biggest game I have ever been to. Excited already, I’ll be fucking drained by 9pm. 

Same, this game is bigger than any Hibs game I’ve been too in the past. 

I just can’t fucking wait. going to be a long day. 

28 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

19 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Same, this game is bigger than any Hibs game I’ve been too in the past. 

I just can’t fucking wait. going to be a long day. 

24 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

A night of emotions is definitely in store for us all. I will be the guy in tears during the national anthem 

Very jealous guys, you will have a fantastic time, have already seen one mate on TV.

I went to Italia 90 and France 98, the only advice I will give you is to savour it all, enjoy as much as you can and try and drink some water during the day !!!

35 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

You need to wait an extra hour to see the game?

Unlucky. It starts at 8 here.

Kirsty Wark (in Munich) must have been on the bevvy all night - she just said on R4 that there are 200,000 Scots in Munich "fully one 5th of Scotlands population" .

I reckon she has been playing the Seville Calculator..........................

I liked what Robertson said about the away fans. They're support is unwavering even throughout the difficult periods when the home support disappears. I hope it's them that are getting to the Allianz tonight and the points system has worked.

I think this is a game between peers. Both teams generally have players playing at the highest level regularly. There's a bit more of a drop off with Scotland in the weaker positions, as you'd expect, but there's no one starting who won't feel that they belong in that company. 

Add to that, a good squad atmosphere, a settled team who know each other well, and the random element in football, the pressure on Germany...

We definitely have a chance. I'm not expecting a win, but it's absolutely not out of the question.